“Great Steak but not the rest” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 47 Restaurants in Trafford
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: With a combination of delicious food, great wines and a real ambience, Café Rouge has embodied the style and je ne sais quoi of French dining since it opened way back in 1989. Now with over 90 sites across the country it's just the place to mull over the morning papers with a cafe au lait and a croissant, pop in for a spot of lunch, share a post-work drink or relax over an evening meal. The menu covers a range of French classics from croques and baguettes, ideal for a quick and easy snack, to more substantial fare such as steak frites and boeuf bourguignon. Likewise, the wines are predominately French; many made by lesser known producers, and provide the perfect accompaniment to the food on offer. No hassle, no rush, no skinny- decaff-double-shot-to-go, just a vibrant atmosphere that moves with your moods throughout the day.
Manchester England
“Great Steak but not the rest”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Very expensive for a almost fast food establishment, the steak was cooked perfect but the chips or frites were no better than Maccy Ds in fact McDonald s are better and you get more for a lot less! It's ok but not somewhere you'd rush back to.

Chester, United Kingdom
“Worst front of house service ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

I work front of house so I know how it should be done; not like this. First off we weren't greeted upon arrival. Secondly, granted it was an accident, our drinks were dropped across our table by the waitress and we got soaked. Thirdly the manager was nowhere to be seen and we had to summon her to lodge a complaint. She offered to pay for the dry cleaning of my mothers clothes which is a bit pointless cause they can be put in a washing machine at home. It's a pity what crap service we received cause it shadows how lovely the food was and what a great job the kitchen is doing. I won't be coming here again

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“It's a chain what do you expect.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

At least you would expect a fairly consistent quality but it's a bit hit and miss here. Have visited three times in the last month as have had quite a bit of late night shopping to do. There is one very good hard working waiter who is the life and soul of the place who is almost single handedly keeping the stars up for me. The rest of the staff are slow and unconcerned about the customers. On the occasions when the order has turned up wrong or food has been poor they are not quick to sort the problem. Drinks can sit on the bar ready for the table in full view of the poor folk dieing of thirst in the restaurant for ten mins on one occasion I was restrained by the others on my table from going and fetching them myself . It's clean it's convenient and ok value when you have a discount voucher but never pay full price.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“A weak link in this chain of restaurants”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Visited here with my husband and children to celebrate my birthday and was pretty disappointed. Husband asked for salad with his steak and got chips (although this was sorted pretty quickly) asked for chips for my son but got mash, and my salad was so pathetic it barely covered the bottom of the plate. The waiter took so long to come over after we had finished that we ended up forfeiting the deserts that were included in the price of the children's meals. Very disappointing as we visit Cafe Rouge on a frequent basis and have always found the food to be very good. Definitely would not recommend this one.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Portions too small”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

I went with my family for an evening dinner, first time diner at Cafe Rouge. I dont think I will be returning. The service was ok as we had a good waitress, served us ok with little fuss and was quite pleasant.
The steak was a little on the small side as where the side order of fries. Yes the fries and steak was tasty, but portion size was not great. In comparison the fries portion would only match that of a Mcdonald's size. Very tasty and quite light and not greasy at all.
The desert was very good, although you shouldn't visit just for the desert.
All in all,a pleasant enough evening, good waitress, nice food just a little more please.

• Visited January 2014