“A real Highland Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Huntly
Oundle, United Kingdom
“A real Highland Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed at the Castle when we attended a wedding in nearby Keith. We enjoyed our stay so much we booked an extra night. I can't really put my finger on why we loved it so much but it just felt right. The décor is lovely & perfect for the property & location. The staff are really first class, very very friendly which we didn't expect when we arrived as these country pile hotels can be a bit snooty. We were allowed to wash our mountain bikes in the yard & keep them in a garage overnight.
The town of Huntly is very peaceful & we found a great little bike ride out (Battlefield Hill).
The food in the hotel was very good & you could mix & match menus, we eat in the Dining room & it was quiet on a Sunday night but felt magical.
OK in our rooms (21 & 22) we had to let the hot water run for ages to come through but this was just idiosyncratic& not a problem The fact that we were up a tower & had a door that could close our two rooms off more than compensated for the minor nuisance.
It really was a fantastic stay & as we travel extensively (my wife is a senior travel industry exec) we get to see some places & this was very good.

Room Tip: If you have an older child or two combine 21 & 22 for a great private secure stay
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed in what was described as a delux room. We would have described it as a cupboard. Arrived with friends who stayed in the room next door and their bathroom was larger than our room. Our bathroom could only be described as a broom cupboard. In order to see yourself in the mirror above the sink you had to bend down and the lighting was very poor, not good for my wife who was trying to put on her make up for a wedding. As for the room, there was one mirror wardrobe, which was too far away from the electric sockets so made it impossible for my wife to see what she was doing when drying her hair.hair. There was a table with the TV on it so I would suggest a mirror could be placed there to enable my wife to dry her hair. Room also very cold, radiator didnot work but there was an electic heater which helped a bit.

The breakfast was a buffet. Rather limited and no choice of eggs. Certainly not 4 star. On arrival at breakfast the orange juice had nearly ran out. On asking a member of staff if I could have more orange juice, she replied that I would have to finish what was in the jug before she would refill it. There was only a mouthful. Her manner was not friendly and she made it feel like it was a bother to refill the jug.

On a positve the male at reception was very friendly on arrival. Unlike the girl on reception when we checked out. Never even asked if we had enjoyed our stay.

All in all the Castle hotel has potential but dosn't meet the mark of a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

No standard rooms left so stayed in a suite Only £20 more per night but well worth it. Room 20 superb views over the Aberdeenshire countryside. Great service, great food and a lovely bar shame about the manager(only joking!!)- introduced to a new gin. Felt like a home from home. Breakfast is great when the hotel is less busy as it is served at the table, when it is busy it is not quite as good but if you only stayed one night it would be great. My only complaint French lager???

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I normally stay in very polished hotels so it was a delight to stay here. Very twee decor but by far one of the best nights sleep on my trip. Reception were great, beautiful setting, great breakfast and lovely and warm. I wish I could go back

Room Tip: If you have s lot of luggage don't get a room beyond the first floor as there is no lift
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
West Linton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stopped in for lunch this week - lovely location and made to feel extremely welcome.

Service was good and hotel has great character - will want to go back again and spend a night in this perfect location.

Staff very well organised and efficient as well.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

If you want a power shower, air-conditioning and uniform rooms, you should look elsewhere. But we loved this hotel. It’s beautifully decorated - in a smart, Scottish style –, has a lovely homely feel and we were made to feel very welcome by the friendly staff. The hotel is situated in a peaceful location; it is approached via a long private drive and set in extensive park-like grounds, which were perfect for post-breakfast strolls. Breakfasts were very good and we had one evening meal at the hotel which was excellent. There was also a great atmosphere in the bar. Overall, we would thoroughly recommended The Castle Hotel for a relaxing break in beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I wish I could have stayed here longer than one evening -- I had an early morning plane to catch at Aberdeen airport. The atmosphere is marvelous and the bar is a place where you want to sit and dream of writing the great American novel. The staff was so friendly -- they saw how tired I was and took me up to my room, brought me dinner on a tray, and never asked for my credit card. Wow! (I did pay, however!)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Castle Hotel Huntly? Share your experiences!