“Deep fry it !!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Huntly
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Deep fry it !!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Went in for breakfast and asked for a vegetarian breakfast! Not unusual you say? Well what appeared was weird, deep fried tomato, deep fried mushrooms, deep fried bread and a what I think was a shallow fried egg! So lots of fat, no beans had to ask for toast and extra butter, but the one thing that was so weird was the veggie breakfast comes with a banana ! Even the serving girl was surprised. The hotel is tired and dated, the lock on room 24 is upside down and difficult to open, with no light above the door ( light broken ) the TV is not a 23" flat screen, but a tiny date woo, that makes lots of noise. I stay in hotels very often but will not stay here again or recommend this hotel. Deep fried tomato! Honestly! At least try giving a good breakfast!
One good point the breakfast waitress was very helpful so she would get 4 stars

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
However I too would have had to ask what you meant by a vegetarian breakfast. We give a list of items to choose from and all are prepared to order. We do not have a buffet style offer and beans are not included in our breakfast list although we do offer these if asked and yes we do offer fried tomato.
Our selection includes 2 types of fish (which some professed vegetarians accept) porridge, cereals, fruit juice and yoghurt and a choice of eggs (boiled, poached or scrambled)
Not sure about the upside down lock as the keyhole is in the centre of the round door handle.
Correct the TV is not a 23" flat screen but I don't understand the comments following this.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Huntington Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I was booked into this hotel as part of a premium walking tour. And I had some words with my tour company about this. (It was explained to me there were no better choices in the area.) This hotel is definitely not premium. That said, I would rate this hotel at 2 1/2 stars. Happily, the room I was given looked better inside than the stairs and hallway leading to it. However, there were significant food/restaurant smells in the room. You could hear the evening bar noise from the room, and I was there on a Monday night.

For dinner I ordered the Haddock and chips and it was one of the finest examples of the genre I had during my 8 day walk. A good sized piece of fish, perfectly filleted. Chips and local tatties. I enjoyed it very much. That and the very friendly staff in the bar, check in, and restaurant gets this rating up to three stars. Breakfast was average.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
It is true that we are not a premium hotel and are a 2 star commercial hotel. I can only assume that you had set a budget and the travel company could not find anything else within your price range. I had another example of this recently. However thank you for the positive comments re food and service.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

We both had the mixed grill. You got two sausages, bacon, black pudding, mushrooms, an egg, steak, mushrooms, onion rings, a tomato and chips. It was all delicious, I bet their breakfasts are good to. The service was friendly and efficient. The place is clean and tidy but very dated. The toilets were scruffy but clean.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I have stayed at the Gordon arms on a number of occasions over the last few months.
The staff are always helpfull pleasant and well mannered ,
The rooms are clean and comfortable ,
At £47,00 per night including breakfast thiis is excellent value for money.,
I have stayed for a duration of 1-3 days, tried more or less everthing on the breakfast menu and have enjoyed then all.,Evening dining was also an enjoyable experience.
On one occasion I also stayed in the bunkhouse as I could not secure a room anywhere in Aberdeen which was also a pleasant stay.
Traditional Hotel with traditional values,
Well done all at the Gordon arms

A Robinson

Room Tip: book early
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Ok, I will start positively, the staff are really pleasant and helpful. I stayed in room 25, if you have to stay here avoid it. I arrived late into the evening otherwise i would have walked straight out and gone somewhere else as it was not good. I will let the photos speak for themselves but in summary, it was very dated, cold, damp, the windows were mouldy (as were the walls and ceiling in the bathroom) and generally not a pleasant place. Cleanliness was as you would expect; poor. If you manage to stay long enough for breakfast, don't expect great things!

Room Tip: Go to the Castle hotel down the road!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
An interesting perspective.
The photos show an area of black wall behind the w.c. against the outside wall which we have to keep clean. I accept this has been missed. The shower shown, while old, is clean and functional. The remainder of the bathroom with traditional brass taps and fittings on the bath and wash hand basin plus the traditional towel rail in a sizeable bathroom have not been shown.
Our rooms are not heated unless pre-booked and although this was the last available room this would be the case. Our guest would have been informed of this on check in and advised to turn on the electric heating which could be set to his own preferred setting.
The bedroom is also a reasonable size with ample space around a double and single bed. While the furnishings are not of modern design they are of commercial standard and conform to the standards required by our tourism grading. Indeed the only truly modern fitting is the 23” plasma TV.
In terms of alternatives I would have no hesitation in recommending the Castle Hotel (some two miles from us not “up the road”) as it is an excellent four star luxury hotel with prices to match. I regard it as unhelpful to directly compare us as we are a two star commercial hotel at two star prices.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I'm confused by some of the reviews for this hotel on this site as some are complimentary and some are quite damning.
I recently spent 4 nights in this hotel and found my own experience less than pleasant. The room (number 11) was small and is summed up by Blair, A's review on this site so I wont repeat everything. I will add that it took ages to unlock/lock the room as the key and lock didn't work very well and the bed was awful and made so much noise each time I moved that it woke me up. In addition, the bathroom was a disaster. The extractor fan noise was incredible and it seemed to go on for ages and the handle fell off the toilet on the first night. I reported this to reception and she said (snootily) that housekeeping would take care of it. Unfortunately, the handle needed fixing properly and promptly fell off the next time I used it, so didn't bother reporting it again, then on my final evening the toilet seat fell off.
The Full Scottish breakfast was OK, especially if you like everything fried. I tried asking for a poached egg but got a fried one 2 days running so gave up asking after that. The evening meals were incredibly over priced and my mixed grill was a deja vu of my breakfast as it was exactly the same with the addition of onion rings a small piece of gristly steak and a bowl of chips, oh and the 'fried' tomato was cut more fancily. Wouldn't be so bad but cost £13.95. On the last night, I actually went to the chinese takeaway down the street which looked a bit dodgy but the food I snuck back to my room was the best evening meal I'd had all week.
As for the hospitality, I again have to agree with Blair, A's review again. The only reason I can think of for the frostiness I experienced was my accent. An example of this was during breakfast - when asked if I wanted tea or coffee, I was sternly told to help myself, a contrast to how another guest was treated who had a more local accent.
I lost the will in the end and resigned myself to having to spend 4 nights there. I didn't see the point making a complaint, it was obvious it wouldn't have had made a difference a fact reinforced by other reviews of this hotel who have had a similar experience.
Overall, it wasn't a pleasant experience in any respect and whilst the food OK, it was massively overpriced. Quite a shocker, wouldnt recommend and sure wouldn't stay there again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2015
Thank you for your comments regarding your meal. We have reviewed our procedures and will ensure that in future we give nachos and sour cream with the vegetarian chilli. Disappointed that you thought that the rice was not up to standard.
We have had comments re the toilets but any change would be purely cosmetic and so in the current financial climate I take the view if it aint broke don't fix it.
Regarding the public bar I (and no doubt many publicans) would be delighted to have a bar with atmosphere at 6.30 on a Wednesday evening.
The kitchen is old but consistently passes all EHO inspections otherwise we would try to avoid letting customers have an open view.
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Stayed in this hotel on business in March and found it to be an excellent location with good, friendly service. The hotel is a small family run hotel with a nice menu. Had the sirloin steak, which is supplied by the local butcher. Breakfast in the morning was very nice as well. I slept soundly the whole night with no noise in the corridor or outside. The staff were all lovely, in particular the waitress from Sweden who was charming, knowledgeable and kindly offered to store my bags when I was out on appointments. I would definitely stay in this hotel again and recommend to my colleagues.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Thank you for these comments. We have been on holiday so it is good to see that the staff have maintained standards and looked after our guests.

Been to Gordon Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!