“Excellent service in nice, friendly hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Gordon Arms Hotel
The Square, Huntly AB54 8AF, Scotland   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Huntly
Glasgow
“Excellent service in nice, friendly hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Stayed in this hotel on business in March and found it to be an excellent location with good, friendly service. The hotel is a small family run hotel with a nice menu. Had the sirloin steak, which is supplied by the local butcher. Breakfast in the morning was very nice as well. I slept soundly the whole night with no noise in the corridor or outside. The staff were all lovely, in particular the waitress from Sweden who was charming, knowledgeable and kindly offered to store my bags when I was out on appointments. I would definitely stay in this hotel again and recommend to my colleagues.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Thank you for these comments. We have been on holiday so it is good to see that the staff have maintained standards and looked after our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Thornhill, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

This is a place in which kind hospitality and really good food is provided by friendly helpful staff in happy surroundings. No pretentious nonsense in sight... a classic! I was treated with courtesy right from the moment I came through the door and have been refreshed by the straightforward attitude right from the start...

The only reason not to come here is if you're looking for obsequious robot staff, poncy minimalist food and tasteless decor...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed before Christmas to attend party night at Golf Club.
Hotel is dated, we were in room 17, it had been given a lick and a promise, areas of the carpet were clean but round skirting etc hadn't been hovered properly, dated furniture and some hap hazard wiring ( the aerial for the television runs onto top of wardrobe, then down through a hole on top of it then out a hole in the back!)

Very short bed, and storage heaters mean you either have the room like a morgue or an oven. Very hard to find and in between setting.

Décor of bathroom was 1950s. (not been decorated since 1950s)

Breakfast was reasonable but a bit of a pantomime, we entered the dining room, waited to be seated, then were promptly ignored for half an hour whilst 2 couples who entered after us were served straight away. We don't have a local accent, this seemed to be the key to getting served. Breakfast finally arrived minus the key ingredient (bacon) which was fetched afterwards.

Very disappointing and for £70 its obvious there is no competition locally from chain hotels to give them something to aim at. I considered complaining on departure but where would you start? there was no one incident or event to complain about, just the general standard! This is a £40 a room establishment, no more.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
As this is a repeat of the Dated, dated, dated comment below I will not make a further response other than to thank the guest for reminding us of the "temporary" cabling which overstayed its welcome and has now been rectified with the TV properly wall mounted
Keith, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We chose to eat here as we were in town having a few drinks with friends. We had previously eaten at the Huntly Hotel across the square, and it was HORRENDOUS, so we thought we'd give the Gordon Arms a try.

Walking inside, it was like being in The Shining! Ancient decor, tables, wallpaper. The Gents was stunningly decorated with avocado urinals, sinks and toilets!

The menu was surprisingly good in terms of choice, but expensive for the surroundings. I had 'stuffed fillet of pork', to which I thought at nearly £16 would be a good eat. It wasn't. Tasted fine, but I literally got three small thin slices! Oh and a handful of boiled spinach. Mmm... tasty!

The staff were efficient but never broke a smile or made any attempt at conversation. In case your reading this, that's why you never got a tip. SORRY!

Overall, I wouldn't rate it as bad as a 2, but I'm struggling to give it a 3! Best choice if you can't make it out to the Castle Hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
First off we have only one pork dish on the menu as follows
Roast Loin of Grampian Pork £10.75
Stuffed with Haggis and served with a Whisky Cream Sauce and Buttered Savoy Cabbage
This would seem to be at odds with the review and is clearly not overpriced.
Yes we do have avocado coloured urinals but I dont regard this as an issue.
Reference to the shining is beyond my understanding but having Ancient Gordon Tartan as the reception carpet in The Gordon Arms fits this then OK
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night to attend a Christmas party at the local golf club. The hotel is ideally located in the picturesque square but is a bit of a let down.

Room 17 was freezing when we went in and the decor is in desperate need of updating. The carpet was frayed, the furniture ill placed and the bathroom in need of refurbishment. There was a curious stain on the toilet seat lid which I can only assume is indicative of many a back resting against it as people use the facilities! The pillows on the bed were lamentable and I had to double both of mine up to ensure I wasn't lying completely flat. The bed was also too short and I'm 5'8.

Breakfast was an experience. We went down at 9.30am and had to wait nearly 30 mins to even order our cooked breakfasts. When I asked one of the two waitresses if we could order, she said that only the other waitress could take orders so as to avoid confusion. When the breakfasts eventually came, the bacon was missing and she had to bring it up on its own. Everything just seemed very amateurish.

For £70, i think that people nowadays expect a little bit more. I know that we did. Unfortunately, we wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed December 2013
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Our guests arrived early afternoon before the heating was timed to go on. The guests were made aware of this and informed that as the heating was individually controlled it would not take long to heat up.
Breakfasts finish at 9.30am and I note that the breakfast cook signed out at 10.00 which does not quite meet the time scale suggested. However we did have a full house that night as we had a function on and I believe that nearly all the guests appeared at the same time as they wanted to eat together. If this caused a delay and the possibility of an error in the breakfast order I can only apologise.
Bedding is an important part of any stay and all our beds are of standard dimensions so I am at a loss regarding the bed being too small. Reception would have probably been closed when our guests returned from their function or we would have been happy to supply additional pillows.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

what a lovely hotel, only stayed 1 night made to feel very welcome, staff really friendly,room had everythink you need, bed was very comfy, had a evening meal in the hotel (mixed grill) and i must say it was the best meal i have had in any hotel that i have stayed at, well priced, and to die for, breakfast was just as enjoyable..if ever i am in that part of scotland again i would certanly go out of my way to stay there again, if only for the food, 1st class

Room Tip: i stayed in room 15, had no problems
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

A somewhat dated hotel that has recently been decorated and refurbished in some areas. However, it does have a certain charm and the staff are really friendly and welcoming. Our room was spacious, clean but the en-suite behind a sliding door was minute. We did not eat in the restaurant but the menu looked to be pretty extensive with some very interesting dishes. However, my husband enjoyed the more than adequate cooked breakfast but the alternative was a very poor selection. There was no fresh fruit or yogurt so I opted for porridge which was lumpy and cold when it arrived. The hotel is central to lots of places of interest and Huntly is a charming town on the banks of the river Deveron. If you just want a comfortable B&B and you are not too bothered about the frills of a four star hotel then I strongly recommend the Gordon Arms.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel where it is much quieter. If you are prepared to extra you...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Gordon Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!