“Good value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Formby
North Wales
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel in March 2014 on an overnight golf break with dinner b&b in the price with one round of golf. Course in v good condition despite it still being winter. Quite long for high handicappers but otherwise a fair test of golf. Hotel was good as well. Food at Dinner was good with a selection that covered all diets. Service was ok but a bit slow in serving the sweet. I would certainly return again in the future.

• Stayed March 2014
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear TravellingTaffyKevo,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent golf break at the Resort and it really is lovely to read some feedback from one of our golf guests.

Our golf break packages are great value for money and we have some fantastic offers available for summer and also group bookings. I do hope that you would consider visiting us again in future.

Our Championship course does take about 4.5hrs to complete and is very challenging due to the Water hazards. Perhaps if you visit again you could play our PGA accredited Par 3 course which is again a very challenging lynx type course. Many guest initially are put off by the Par3 label however once they try it they play it again and again.

Tank you gain for your comments and I have advised the Restaurant of the delay in serving dessert so they can speak to their team regarding this matter.

Gemma Adderley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I have been to Formby Hall once a year for a spa break for 5 years. Each year i have found it relaxing and enjoyable, but this year the staff were rude, the massage was painful, the masseuse was on her phone during my treatment!!! I felt worse after my stay. They have upped the price but not the quality. My main concern was the attitude from some of the staff, we were part of a getaway deal and the staff did not seem to have time for the less wealthy folk, which i thought was terrible. Unless standards improve, i will be seeking other better priced and better quality places to enjoy a mini break.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Nic C,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on to TripAdvisor, we value all feedback as it helps us to identify where we could make some improvements to the services we offer our guests.

I'm very sorry to hear that on this occasion your time here was not as enjoyable as it should have been, the comments within your review present a great concern for me as our staff are always highly recommended by our guests. I have forwarded on your comments to our Spa Manager regarding this and he will look into the staff member on duty at the time of your treatment. Staff are not permitted to use mobile phones whilst on duty, so this needs to be addressed urgently. Could you please call on 01704 875699 to advise the date of your visit so we can investigate further?

I can assure you that our guests are treated fairly and equally no matter what price that have paid for their stay, during the Winter season our package rates do tend to be less and make up the majority of the bookings so we are well aware of looking after them especially as many book multiple stays whilst the offers represent such great value.

I do hope you would consider visiting the Resort again and not end your 5 year run, as you have noted this is the first time in 5 years that you have had any issue with the quality of service or product.

Kind regards and I look forward to hearing from you soon with further details relating to your booking.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

‘You get what you pay for’ appears to be the adage best aplied to Formby Hall Golf Club.

I have just returned from a ‘Cosy Spa Break’ and have to say I feel a little deflated.

I paid £175.00 for the break (we could only go on a Friday or Saturday and had to pay a £50 supplement) for two.

We got one night in what was billed as a ‘luxurious classic room’. I would say think Premier Inn, possibly a tiny little better but it was certainly not in the realms of the five star hotels I have stayed in.

The two course evening meal was fine, although £5.50 for a very average glass of Merlot made me glad I had packed a bottle of Argentinian Malbec in my bag.

The breakfast was OK. I don’t think it was worth the £12.95 it would have cost but very passable – again no five star options such as Eggs Benedict and the plates were cold.

There had been some negative comments on Tripadvisor about the staff but every member of staff we came into contact with at the hotel was very pleasant and helpful.

However, it was at the Spa where I felt a little short-changed. We were supposed to get two 25 minute ‘express’ treatments. Express is the right word. We were done and dusted in 40 minutes flat. As we were getting changed back into our clothes there was a knock at the door asking us if we would be much longer as they needed to get ready for the next clients. I wouldn’t like to criticise the two young girls who were probably under pressure to churn the clients in and out but it wasn’t a very nice way to end the ‘Cosy Spa Break.’

When you break it down to £87.50 I suppose we got what we paid for, but certainly not the luxury break I was looking forward to. I don’t think there was anything ‘special’ about this offer.

Southport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Ellen and Karan are a wonderful team; any questions that I had were answered straight away – their communication with me was superb. On the day of the event, I arrived early to set up prizes for the raffle and to put final decorations on to the tables; this is when I first met Khem who was running the event for us. What a wonderful man! He did EVERYTHING: sorted the table for the raffle prizes and had the rest of the decorations put out on to the tables. This meant that I could go and start to get ready…I was very thankful!

The finished room was absolutely beautiful: the tables looked amazing, the seating plan was displayed clearly and the staff who were serving the pre-dinner drinks were extremely attentive. I have had so many compliments on the quality of the meal that was served: every aspect was presented and served to an extremely high standard and again, the staff were superb. Throughout the evening, Khem was always there to ensure that things were running the way we wanted them to. After the meal, the raffle was drawn and the 4-Ball prize so kindly donated by Formby Hall was auctioned. Then the disco started: the sign of a successful night is when there is no room on the dance floor: there was no room on the dance floor! Again, I’ve had so many compliments about the DJ Jeff: what a LOVELY man. He is the happiest and friendliest DJ I’ve ever met and all of the guests loved the music he played. He even found our school logo and had it displayed on his screens throughout the night, along with his music videos – a very thoughtful touch.

Everybody who stayed over was nothing but complimentary about their rooms. I stayed in 231 – it was superb - I will definitely be requesting this room again – beautiful.

Ellen, I can't thank you enough for the effort and patience you put into making our Spring Ball a success: we raised £865 for the school! Would I recommend Formby Hall for future events: wholeheartedly, unreservedly YES: a professional, slick and high-end event was delivered.

I cannot thank you enough! Please pass my sincere thanks on to Khem and all of the banquet team, the lovely girls on reception who looked after us all so well and, of course, a huge thank you for you too!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful!
Dear SouthportSunshineKid,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your fantastic review to TripAdvisor. Your review is very detailed which is great, it will prove helpful for possible customers considering holding an event at the Resort.

I have forwarded on a copy of your review to the Team so they can all read your lovely comments, I'm sure that Ellen, Karan and Khem will be thrilled they helped to make your event so memorable and raise so much money for your cause, they will also make sure the Jeff is made aware of your compliments too.

Room 231 is one of our Deluxe room types and we will always where possible try to offer a complimentary upgrade to the organiser of the event, its lovely to hear that your enjoyed the room.

We look forward to helping you plan many more successful events in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Formby hall on a winter warmer deal that included a nights accommodation with breakfast,spa access,2 treatments,241 cocktails and a 2 course dinner. We paid £145 which included a £20 upgrade to an executive room.
From the off the staff were polite and couldn't help enough. As we had arrived quite early our room wasn't ready so we decided to have some dinner in the 19th hole bar, we had burger with real chips and they were both gorgeous, they cost£15 for both meals which was excellent value.
After dinner our room was available and we were promptly checked in and our bags were taken to our room, the room was an executive room with a fantastic bathroom, a lovely big bed and an excellent view from the window of the golf course.
It was time for our spa treatments and again we were met by the polite staff and shown around, the pool was lovely and my wife informed me that although the layout of the spa was unusual it was nice in comparison to others that she had been to.
After relaxing in the spa we went back to our room to get ready for the evening, we had 2 vouchers that entitled us to 241 cocktails so we took advantage of them and enjoyed some lovely drinks in the vibrant cocktail bar. We then had a lovely meal in the L37 restaurant (read separate review).
After a great nights sleep we went for breakfast and after leaving the restaurant hungry the night before we were looking forward to it, we were not disappointed. The breakfast was a self service buffet with everything you could imagine and it was all beautiful.
Overall a fantastic stay with great service,food and drink. Formby hall have it right and for the price we paid we were very happy with what we got in return.
We shall definitely return but maybe next time take advantage of the excellent golf facilities.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
FHGRRevenueManager, Guest Relations Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent spa break at the Resort, I'm so glad you found our Cosy Winter spa break to be such great value for money. It did prove to be very popular with our guests so much so that several chose to stay on multiple occasions.

I have forwarded on a copy of your detailed review to the team at the Resort so they can read your fantastic comments, I'm sure that the details within your review will prove very helpful to those considering staying at the Resort in future.

I do hope that we can welcome you back again very soon.

Kind regards and thank you

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Ten of us stayed here for my wife's birthday on the 8th March. Everyone of us had a fabulous time from checking in to checking out the following day. The spa was very relaxing and the staff very knowledgeable and friendly. The pool area nice and other facilities in the spa great. The food was lovely and the cocktails very nice. All in all a brilliant time and we are all looking to book again. I would definitely recommend this hotel. Look forward to visiting you again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
FHGRRevenueManager, Guest Relations Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Paul R,

Thank you for taking the time to post your great review, I hope you wife had a very enjoyable birthday!

It really is lovely to hear that your stay with us was relaxing from start to finish, I'm glad that the food and cocktails also went down a treat with your party.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort again very soon.

Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

My wife and I stayed here overnight for a friends wedding that was at the hotel, from arrival we were greeted with a friendly smile and very attentive staff.
The check in was super fast and the rooms we found to be very clean and spacious, the bathroom was large and the shower was great.
We found the bar prices a little on the high side but you would expect this in a hotel of this calibre.
I don't think we would stay here again as it rather close to where we live but as a wedding venue we could not fault it.
The breakfast was buffet style, well presented, cooked well and the variety was extremely good.
Checkout was fast and easy and again the staff were very pleasant.
We would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to any of our friends and family.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear David C,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay, I hope the wedding was as enjoyable as your stay! I have forwarded on a copy of your kind comments to the department heads so they can be shared with their team members.

I’ve spoken with our bars manager regarding the prices however I'm advised that they are very reasonable in comparison to other Hotels.

I hope you would choose to visit the Resort again despite living locally, we do have some fantastic offers for the restaurant, spa, golf course and also tribute nights which may be of interest to you.

Kind regards and thank you once again

Gemma Adderley

Been to Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!