“Hidden gem only a few miles from Liverpool” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Southport Old Road, Formby L37 0AB, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Formby
Tarleton, United Kingdom
“Hidden gem only a few miles from Liverpool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here in November while on business locally. Nothing was too much trouble, from the hearty on arrival from the chap on reception to the lad on the coffee bar.

Only using the room as a base so didn't use the spa or pool but overheard people in the bar saying how good their treatments were and how they enjoyed their time over there.

Had a few drinks in the bar before going out to town and again on returning, bar staff very good and friendly too.

Didn't try the restaurant but again looked in keeping with the rest of the place.

Breakfast was served rather than a buffet as i'd expected but none the less I got the extra sausages I asked the waitress for.

Overall a great base and if you search about you can get some great rates and deals.

Would happily return if in the area and recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor golf course room - these have patios.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review online, I'm so glad your stay with us was enjoyable and you would choose to stay with us again.

It's great to hear that you found our staff so welcoming during your stay, I hope when you come back to stay again you will have the time to make full use of the fantastic facilities we have on offer including our 20m heated indoor pool and fully equipped Gym, maybe you could stay on one of our great value Spa or Golf breaks.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Revenue Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
West Kirby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Booked this for a mid-week birthday treat having previously visited the Spa and enjoyed it.
The Spa - This was the best part of the day, a pleasant and relaxing experience. Had a nice head, face, neck and shoulder massage. Staff were nice and friendly. Only criticism would be that the jacuzzi was out of order.
The Hotel - The room was a nice, clean and spacious room. The bar had a good cocktail offer on, two for one. The restaurant however is where I was very disappointed. We were given the menu and quickly realised that there wasn't a single vegetarian main course. There were two meat free options but they had parmesan on them which is not vegetarian. The kitchen prepared us a mushroom pasta dish without the parmesan cheese. It was basically pasta in cream with a handful of mushrooms. Certainly nothing special at all and definitely not healthy, very sickly.
We decided to not have a pudding having been rather disappointed with the very below average soup and main course.
Back to the room, there was a random vibrating sound coming from somewhere near by. I called room service and someone came up to investigate. When they arrived the noise had quietened down to barely audible. The two guys who came to the room said they would investigate. However about 20 mins later it got louder again, i could hear it over the TV. It kept me awake and I only managed to get to sleep once it had died down again. It was still audible in the morning. I would certainly avoid Room 224 if you intend on getting some decent sleep.
Breakfast in the morning was the normal average affair.
I certainly wouldn't stay here again. The Spa is good but the hotel and restaurant aren't that great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Paul78Smith,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us, I'm glad the Spa element of your stay was enjoyable however please accept my sincere apologies that your stay did not live up to your expectations. We take all guest feedback very seriously and will always address any issues that have been highlighted.

A copy of your review has been forwarded on to our Chef and our Restaurant Manager so they are aware of your comments regarding the Vegetarian options which they will now review. We always offer a variety of dining options for our guests, those staying overnight on DBB packages can choose from the Residents menu which has multiple choices for each course or they can use their allocation towards dining from the Al la Carte menu.

I'm sorry that the bedroom you were allocated had issue with a vibrating noise, I can see that our Maintenance team have looked into this matter and resolved the issue.

Once again I'm sorry your stay with us was not as enjoyable as it should have been, I can assure you the experience you had is not of the usual standard we offer. I do hope that you will come to stay with us again in the future and experience the Resort at its usual high standard. Please contact me should you wish to return and I will ensure you are well looked after.

warrington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Really nice place with good rooms and a hearty buffet breakfast. Spa treaments are discreet and you can ask for a joint spa treatment in a private room with your wife or partner. If you want to get out of the hotel get a taxi to Freshfields which is a real ale pub 2 miles away. Lots of great ales and lagers and nice village setting,

Room Tip: happy hour on cocktails before 7pm
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, it's lovely to hear that your enjoyed your spa break with us so much. The double treatment rooms we have at the Resort are very popular with our guests so much so that we are converting another of our treatment rooms to be a double.

The area surrounding the Resort is ideal for short breaks, the Local village of Formby has a great selection of shops and is also very close to some fantastic tourist attractions such as the Red Squirrels and Formby Point.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort again very soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed december 2012 after attending a business event at the hotel. Room was excellent - very spacious and much bigger that most 4 star hotels. Very quiet, overlooking the golf course. Check in was easy and staff very efficient. I would have rated as excellent but the hotel let themselves down with several issues.
Problems: (1) Ordered a sandwich from room service at 22.00 - sandwich never arrived yet I was still charged for it on check out and had to ask that it was removed from my bill. (2) Had to wait 30 minutes for a taxi - not the hotel's fault but they should have rung the taxi company to chase up. (3) asked for a VAT receipt on check out. Could not be provided and took a further 8 days (and several phone calls / emails) to obtain this.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Steve B,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor, we appreciate all feedback from our guests as they help us develop the level of service and facilities we offer.

Firstly I'm glad you found the Hotel facilities to be excellent and also found your room to be quiet and relaxing, the executive rooms which overlook the golf course are lovely and also benefit from the addition of robes, slippers and chocolates.

Please accept my sincere apologies that the remainder of your stay was problematic. I'll address each of the points individually:

1. Not receiving the room service sandwich you had ordered is inexcusable, the order is placed with the kitchen via our bar, at the point of ordering the charge is placed on to the bedroom, it seems that on this occasion the sandwich did not reach you however the bar would have been unaware of this. I have passed on your comments to the Food & Beverage Manager so he can discuss with his team and ensure the processes we have in place are working and if not why not. I'm glad you noticed on check out and that our Reception team were able to remove the charge for you.

2. Our Reception team contact the taxi company we use to reserve a cab for you and continue on with the various daily tasks they have, guests often wait in various areas of the Resort including outside or in the bar therefore the Reception team are not aware of when the taxi has arrived and the guests has or hasn’t left. Of course had they been aware you were still waiting they would of course have called the company of your behalf to hurry them along or get a new estimated time of arrival., generally taxi’s ordered are at the Resort within 10 minutes.

3. The In house booking system that we use prints bill in different ways depending upon how the booking was paid. I'm afraid that should you prepay for your booking then a VAT receipt is not printed, should one be required it has to be done manually which can result in a small delay. Please accept my apologies for the delay of 8 days, generally these requests are dealt with within 48 hours.

I do hope that these issues would not deter you from staying with us again in the future, I hope you will come back to stay with again and experience the Resort at its usual high standards.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had booked a spa weekend here for our 10th wedding anniversary and were really looking forward to a luxury weekend. Sadly this wasn't to be as we were both hit with the flu. We rang up to cancel our break but were told it was non refundable or transferable so we could either come or give it to someone else! Giving it to someone at short notice was not an option and neither of us felt well enough to attend or felt we should attend for fear of infecting other guests and staff with a nasty illness......the receptionist wasn't bothered by this fact when I pointed it out to him however and cut me off and just said ok well sorry you can't make it.
I emailed in too see what we could do and received a reply advising that out of 'goodwill' they were prepared to let us rebook with a 50% admin fee. After 4 more emails to ascertain the full facts of this offer it transpires that this offer would only apply mon to wed or if we wanted to come over a weekend the rooms would have a supplement of up to £80; in other words the trip would cost us the same as our initial one. No goodwill at all.
I am disappointed that a hotel held in such high regard has little value for its guests that it would firstly encourage people to stay and use its spa facilities who clearly pose a health risk to others and secondly has no regard for when things don't go to plan in life. You have ruined my wedding anniversary so I hope you are proud of that.

Stayed January 2013
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Mrs Christian

How very disappointing (but rather expected – as you threatened us with a bad review) that you chose to air a one-sided view (yours) on Trip Advisor. We are well aware of your complaint as we have numerous email correspondence regarding your cancellation. We have tried to call and discuss this with you but you asked that we communicate via email. You cancelled a booking, on the morning of expected arrival, that clearly stated in the T&C’s was non-transferable and non-refundable. We offered to look at alternative dates for you but advised that there would be a fee for this. It was around this point that the threats of poor reviews, disgust in our customer services and ‘I want to speak to your Manager’ started. On our last email of the 25th January, we offered you alternative dates and also passed you the contact details of the resort General Manager, to this date we have had no contact from you. We are very sorry that your anniversary was ruined due to your illness, we’ve tried to help and we’ve tried to accommodate but rather than return our calls or emails you decided to post a review of ‘Awful Customer Service’ We disagree, we offer fantastic customer service, if you’d of visited the resort you would see for yourself.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Just got back from this fantastic hotel after being on a spa break. The room was immaculate and very luxurious, staff very welcoming and friendly. The food was really lovely and the service was exemplary. Onto the Spa.....amazing! Our therapists were really lovely and very professional. The facilities are fab....only downfall was the jacuzzi was undergoing maintenance on our second day but we still had the sauna, steam room and others to use. The pool is really clean and well maintained. We enjoyed a really lovely afternoon tea to end our stay and service is always with a smile. Overall we would definitely recommend this hotel for a relaxing break and we will certainly be returning for another spa break.....perfect girly weekend.

Room Tip: Executive suites are very luxurious and not much dearer than a standard room. Aim for rooms in the 2...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Zoe W,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I'm so glad to hear that your spa break with us was so relaxing and enjoyed by all in your party. I have forwarded on a copy of your review to the team who will be thrilled.

The comments within your review will prove very helpful for potential future guests, often they like to have genuine feedback from past guests regarding the facilities we have on offer and increasingly look at Tripadvisor before making a booking.

The leisure and spa facilities we have on site are fantastic, I'm sorry the Jacuzzi was under maintenance for part of your stay but I'm sure you can appreciate we like to ensure any issues are resolved as soon as possible.

We have some great offers currently running so I hope we can welcome you back to the Resort again in the future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We have had some meals at the resort, but never stayed overnight as we live in the area. However, a special occasion warranted an overnight stay. There were 8 of us staying and the superb evening meal really set the tone. Excellent professional and friendly service punctuated our stay and the weekend will always be remembered for the flawless experience. Full marks to all at Formby Hall. All staff deserve a mention, not only those in guest contact, but the people in the background such as kitchen team and housekeepers who prepared the pristine rooms. Special thanks to Tony, a highly visible manager, who seemed to have inexhaustable supply of energy. We will return!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, I'm so glad your group chose to celebrate the special occasion with us.

We really appreciate hearing from our guests and value their opinions, I will pass on your amazing comments to the team who will be thrilled.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Revenue Manager

Been to Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!