“Great cooking” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Codsall, United Kingdom
“Great cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We have been using The Horns on and off for the past 20 years. At one time, it was recognised as one of the great “Real Ale” pubs in the area and also offering typical “pub grub” catering but some years ago, it was acquired by Marstons Brewery so the beers are restricted to the brews produced within their group. Fortunately, Marstons do offer some very good beers, particularly their newer “single hop” brews, but can no longer offer anything from other local breweries which is a pity as the West Midlands / Shropshire borders have some of the finest small breweries in the country.

Since Marstons acquisition of the Horns, the quality of the food has improved dramatically. It is now approaching “gastropub” status and many of their signature dishes taste home-made and freshly cooked. My personal favourite is their Devilled Kidneys which is hot, spicy and delicious.

Sunday lunch is particularly good with ample proportions and always tasty which is why booking is essential and try to get a table in the main dining room which is somewhat reminiscent of a Scottish hunting lodge and gives a great sense of occasion to a meal. All in all, highly recommended

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
Telford, United Kingdom
“Lovely food and sevice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Popped in for lunch on a glorious sunny afternoon. Lovely 300 year old pub, welcoming atmosphere and friendly efficient service. 3 menus to chose from = light bites, specials and full menu. Limited selection of vegetarian choices but all 3 sounded delicious- chose the polenta with courgette and tomato provencal which was a beautifully presented and flavoursome meal. Husband went for the ham and eggs - enormous plateful with excellent chips onion rings & mushrooms. Service was friendly and appropriate. Puddings looked delicious but no time to sample on this occasion. Really lovely pub and outsatnding pub grub at a very reasonable cost. We ate inside but there is a nice beer garden too. Will certainly be returning in the near future.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
NatsShropshire, Owner at Horns of Boningale, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Shropshirelass56,
Thank you for your kind review. It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your lunch with us. Just wish the glorious weather was still here!
It's a shame that you didn't get to sample our homemade puddings - maybe next time.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind regards Natalie & Matthew Jennings
Saint Martin De Beauville, France
“understated and efficient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

have been taken here on 3 occasions for Sunday \lunch and I have to say that on each occasion the food was really good with some dishes exceptional, service is understated and efficient and for the quality of food really well priced

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear parcan71,
Thank you for your review, we are pleased to hear that you have been enjoying our Sunday lunches. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff, I have passed your comments on.
We look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future.
Kind regards
Natalie & Matthew Jennings
Staffordshire
“Once again vegetarians are short changed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

The food in this restaurant is tasty but the vegetarian portions have always been quite small. There are only two vegetarian dishes on the menu at any time. I dined last week with my friends who all had generous helpings but mine was more like a starter.

Although not particularly busy the service was slow, it was 40 minutes before our orders were taken. The waitresses do not tend to be particularly friendly, in fact on a previous visit a waitress handed me a hot plate and I burnt my hands, she was holding a towell and I was caught unaware and took the plate off her before realising.

I think the chef and waitresses need to review their attitudes to customers.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
NatsShropshire, Owner at Horns of Boningale, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Madammaz, Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am sorry to hear that you feel we do not offer a wide choice for vegetarians. We do indeed offer 2 vegetarian main courses on our a la carte menu, however, there is always another option on our daily specials. As everything is homemade our chef's are always happy to assist if there is a particular dish that you fancy. We always get good feedback on how friendly our waiting staff are and I can only apologise if you feel they were not friendly on your visit. Kind regards Natalie & Matthew Jennings
midlands
“Not so great today!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We visited here at the start of April and had a great experience all round, so we booked again for my mums birthday. Initially we were surprised that our booked table was in the bar area not the restaurant, despite there being customers and spare tables in the restaurant?(The table was V sticky BTW as not been cleaned effectively and even waitress agreed when the veg dish was stuck to it!! - Please use a warm cloth and soapy water - not the cold tub I saw being used!) However the kids were tired and excited (out all day and on hols from tomorrow) so we settled in a less formal manner. I ordered a jacket potato and cheese for my 3 year old with no salad, and fish goujons for my 7 year old. I had a roast again, mum the catch of the day and hubby a lasagne. My roast and hubby lasagne came first, then after a few minutes the jacket potato WITH salad arrived, and mum's fish, then chicken arrived for my son. I took the salad off daughters plate and after a lip wobble she was Ok but it was rather tight on cheese, my son then waited 10 minutes for his fish to arrive - which to be honest wasn't a patch on last time, but I suppose they tried to rush it so fair enough. Mum's fish was loaded with black pepper which spoilt it somewhat, and whilst my roast & hubby lasagne was OK it wasn't anywhere near as good as previously. It seemed we were the only people in the bar and only a couple of tables in the restaurant so getting the order wrong was frustrating. Also serving kids after the adults is annoying. We ordered dessert and the waitress had to ask the chef what a dessert was - after working myself in a pub/restaurant I know the first rule of waitressing is to know what food is on the menu and be able to explain it to the customers.
Mum was going to book up for 2 more visits for friends and family due to come over in the next 6 weeks but she decided not to and will look elsewhere. Shame as I was so impressed a few weeks ago and today was all a bit disappointing. I even let the kids run about the pub which I never allow normally as I was so disappointed!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear Spanna02, Thank you for taking the time to write another review. I am dissapointed to hear that you did not enjoy your visit as much as on the previous occassion. It is important for us to know if we have not met your expectations and I have emailed you regarding the points you have made. I do hope that you can give us another chance. Kind regards Natalie & Matthew Jennings