“hmmmm needs some TLC in all depts” 2 of 5 stars

The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Atcham, Shrewsbury SY5 6QG, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Atcham B&B and Inns
Stafford, United Kingdom
“hmmmm needs some TLC in all depts”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We had lunch here a year ago and thought 'fantastic'.. wouldn't it be great to stay.. eat fully.. what an idea. I even reviewed the lunch on TA, and gave it rave reviews.

BUT - a year is a long time and I'm afraid to say things have downhill.
1. The bar area was as good as I remember as was the staff welcome.. universal and genuine. They could do with 'plumping cushions' on the sofas between guests as they clear tables 8/10.
2. My pint of 'Shropshire Lad' was wonderful too (9/10),
and then things went downhill..
3. Lunch on our arrival was an over-thick prawn sandwich and tasteless rillettes of duck.. 6/10
4. Our room was tatty with a broken shower, cracked bathroom tiles, two holes where there should have been a loo-roll holder, a chipped radiator, scuffed paint, scratchy towels. 4/10
5. Dinner menu was limited and no lamb at all - its EASTER!! 6/10
6. Dinner was tasteless (esp the chicken liver parfait and forestier jus ) and stale (esp the Yorkshires), roasties were old and hard, veg was very mushy. 5/10.
7. Service was friendly, but not at all efficient.. people left us far too long and forgot things more than once..6/10.
8. Breakfast was good, 7/10... I don't like black pudding and it was marvelous!
9, Checkout was good too and at least I was listened to, but I was not offered any sort of reduction.. despite listing my complaints there and then (and in detail). Admittedly it was very good value.. but I'd have thought a gesture was appropriate, and I left my e-mail address and to date have heard nothing.

Oh dear.. we so value attention to detail and GREAT food - - I was planning to return with my parents as I passed near on the A5, but now I'll go elsewhere I think.. what a genuine shame.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Wotton-under-Edge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Went to visit Wroxeter Vineyard and sought an inexpensive local hotel through the internet.

The The Mytton & Mermaid Hotel had availability at a reasonable price and the reviews were quite good overall.

What we discovered was a nice and friendly hotel/restaurant/pub sitting on the banks of the River Severn.

The staff were welcoming and the atmosphere was good although check in after 3:00pm is a bit on the late side.

We ate in the restaurant in the evening and the food was first class as was the service and it really had a nice Gastro feel to the whole evening.

The English breakfast was also excellent and overall, we had a really good and enjoyable break.

Thanks go to the staff who really make an effort to demonstrate hospitality.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Stayed here for one night. Beautiful hotel. Gorgeous room. Very spacious. Food was very good. Service excellent. Staff were very very helpful. Our room was looking out onto the river on one side and overlooking the park on the other side. Absolutely stunning. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2014
Cannock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

We stayed for just the one night at the end of March. The staff were friendly and helpful and the food was very good. Our room was comfortable and overlooked Attingham Park. We would certainly stay here again. Every thing was first class.

Room Tip: We had room 8 (Twin) which was lovely although it was up 2 flights of stairs but we were offered hel...
Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Keep coming back here, it's a lovely place with great food. The menu has just changed and there are some interesting new arrangements on the menu.
Rooms are comfortable but could really do with some updating, they are clean and fresh but cracks in tiles and decor is now a little jaded, don't let it put you off though it's excellent value and a great atmosphere. We will keep coming back and can highly recommend staying here. There's Attingham Park just across the road which is National Trust with great walks. The hotel setting is super with the river and the village church on the doorstep.

Telford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

As my mother is coeliac I have to provide advance warning to the restaurant when we choose to book. Having eaten and stayed at the mytton and mermaid on several occasions it was my first choice for Mother's Day. What a shame it went so wrong. I think they clearly overbooked as the restaurant was full to capacity, therefore the staff seemed so rushed and the attention to detail lacking. Having rang twice to make them aware there were no suitable deserts on the Mother's Day menu I was reassured it would be fine. When it wasn't they suggested Icecream.. I don't pay £26 for a desert of Icecream. They brought the bar menu so my mother could choose from the deserts on that menu. She chose a rhubarb and custard creme brûlée. When it arrived there was no creme brûlée just a few slices of rhubarb swimming in custard. This time I spoke to the manager who apologised and the waitress then said they had no creme brûlée. Did they think my mum wouldn't notice it was missing? In all it ruined the day and was quite upsetting. The insult came when they discounted the bill by £3!

Stayed March 2014
Warrington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We arrived at a wonderful location, the Manor house is very imposing. On entering the Bar/ restaurant area is relaxed and just what we'd hoped for. Reception staff, as with all staff were most helpful.
However on entering our room, we were instantly disappointed at how tired and shabby it looked. The carpet was badly stained, the window was bare of paint in places and there were cobwebs at the ceiling corner. The towels were a little grey and though laundered had stains. We had to abandon a shower through no warm water.
It is such a shame as the view from our window was beautiful, the food was fabulous, as too the service.
Would I eat here again? ... Yes. Would I stay here again? Only if I was guaranteed a better room more likened to the website photos.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel? Share your experiences!