“Nice for any occasion.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Piarco
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Nice for any occasion.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I went to a graduation ball there in July. Was very nice there. Really beautiful interior designs.Excellent location too.My students enjoyed Their graduation dinner and dance.When you got there you felt like you were in another place.So much to see and look at when you got inside. Simply breath taking. I hope to go there again soon. I've developed a nice relationship with the staff.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

First of all the hotel is unfinished. Work is still being done and I believe at the end of it all it'll be a remarkable place to stay at. The staff is very courteous and friendly. Upon my arrival it took me quite a while to get a room. I received my electronic key card for my room and my room couldn't be opened. Definitely not efficient service. I waited approximately half hour for this situation to be rectified and to be allocated to another room. The room was very spacious and had all amenities I expected. It was tastefully designed with modern fixtures and fittings. It was worth its value. The customer service could greatly be improved though.

• Stayed June 2013
Regent Star H, General Manager at Regent Star Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for making the Regent Star the ultimate hotel of choice for your stay while in Trinidad. It was definitely our pleasure serving you!
On behalf of the Management & Associates of Regent Star Hotel we do apologize for all the inconvenience caused by the delay with the room key; however we are happy to report that the glitch with the computerized system was rectified. We appreciate the feedback and do assure you on your next visit you will be pleasantly surprised.
Relax, Work, Eat as we are Only a Moment to Your Flight!
Port of Spain, Trinidad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Hotel is still not totally completed from what I see, however the food was good, the portions could have been more though for the price, and the Female Bartender was great at mixing up the drinks. The room was small but comfortable. The pool and other features are still being worked on.

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground floor are small
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Hotel refused to accept American Express travellor's cheque.Desk clerk stated "we only take money.If you don't have that,you could use a credit card" she suppoedly phoned some-one to see if they would take travellors cheque then said it is not possible.She then took my credit card to another room to "make a copy" I had no choice-----it was that or leave the hotel .I asked for a charger for my cell phone because I had been reassured when I made the reservation,that it was available and no problem.However this desk clerk informed me that the othe person didn't know what they were talking about.She offered to keep my cell phone and give it back when I was leaving.Only an idiot would do that.I asked for the name of the general manager of the hotel and was told they don't have one.I asked who owned the hotel and was told they are not allowed to divulge that information. I have advised all the Tobago travellors that I know to avoid this insulting place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Regent Star H, Manager at Regent Star Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for making the Regent Star Hotel the ultimate hotel of choice during your visit to Trinidad. I am terribly sorry you are not happy with some of the service you received.

I would like to take this opportunity to give an update on some of the challenges you encountered. With regards to the payment, we are currently finalizing the verification procedures which will allow us to accept Travellers Cheque.

Our Front Office Representative left the desk to copy your ID which is our usual procedure. We can assure you that your credit card was not copied. It is also usual hotel policy that all cell phones once the charging service is needed will be left at the Charging Station located at the Front Desk for a few hours until charge has been restored. It is customary that the chargers are not removed from the Front Desk since other guests may need to use them.

The Regent Star hotel is owned by a Board of Directors and the all departmental managers report to our Operations Director. We do hope despite your challenges, d you are willing to give us another chance, upon your next visit.

If there is anything additional we can do to assist please do not hesitate to contact me as I look forward to working with you in the near future.
Green Cove Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

the big difference is you can walk from the terminal to the hotel and arrive in a new, nice and well managed hotel. Prices are in line with the prices of POS. At the date of our visit (April 4th) the hotel still needs some completion and there are few works in progress, but that is not a big trouble for the guests. Good service and good food

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Regent Star H, Sales & Marketing at Regent Star Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for making the Regent Star your ultimate hotel of choice for your visit to Trinidad. We do appreciate your feedback. On your next visit feel free to let us arrange a complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport for you!\
Have a fantastic day.
Georgetown,Guyana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

It certainly is a relief to finally have a decent place to stay near to Piarco airport. It is brand new with great facilities and stylishly designed. My problem was that it was extremely difficult to get a reservation. I don't know whether this has now been fixed but when I tried to book a room a few weeks ago, there was no online reservation system, the email address on the website was not responded to and it took me several long distance calls to finally get the booking. The room was ok but then I noticed that those on the upper floors had balconies while mine, on the ground floor, did not. I only stayed there for one day, not overnight, so my assessment of the place is a bit limited. Anyway, having stayed at other airport hotels nearby, this one would have to be rated the best.

Room Tip: If you need a balcony, ask for it. The ground floor rooms only have tiny windows.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Regent Star H, Manager at Regent Star Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for staying with us and also for writing a review on our property. We do apologize for the difficulty you faced in trying to make a reservation. However our website will be up and running shortly and this matter will be resolved.

I do hope we have the privilege of having you as one of our valued guests in the future.

Regards,
Management team of Regent Star Hotel
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This hotel in conveniently placed near the airport. It is a 60 second drive and 5-10 min walk from the arrivals terminal. However you will never guess it was near the airport from the interior as you won't hear the airport noise from the interior of the hotel.

I think my girl put it most eloquently when she said "They pretend to be fancy when they are really not." The lobby looks really nice, spacious and modern but it was painfully obvious that the hotel was incomplete from the empty fountain, to the wires hanging from the ceiling in several places, to the lack of landscaping when you look outside your window. The elevator doesn't work but that was ok since the ground floor rooms are the only ones ready. To get to the rooms you had to pass through a dark hallway and you can hardly see the place to put your key in. The "key" is really a card. The key also "powers" up the room as the lights in the room won't work if the key is not in it's slot. When you take the key out the lights go out 3-5 mins after it's removal.

The room (standard King) is spacious dominated by a king sized bed flanked by 2 end tables. One side (closer to the door) has a clock and phone while the other had a bible in the drawer. There is a desk with a lamp with a office chair and an arm chair in the corner. There is also good Wi-Fi for your portable devices and an lcd tv with cable.

The closet had some hangers and drawers with a safe for your valuables. But the safe was inoperable. The bed was firm not to hard nor too soft. It made for a good night's rest.

The bathroom was somewhat small but well appointed with modern fittings. They was also complementary shower gel and shampoo/conditioner. There were also the usual amount of towels and face cloths. It should be noted that it is not a tub though but a fancy looking shower stall.

The staff get full marks for being very courteous, warm, helpful and seemed accommodating to our needs such as asking if we needed a ride to various places we needed to go to or if we needed fresh towels etc. Top class staff!

The one thing that marred the stay is that there was no power on the morning we were set to leave.

To me the price was the biggest let down for an incomplete hotel that has stiff competition. A king bed is about 200 USD after taxes and you still have to pay an additional 23 USD for breakfast. Which we declined. We simply didn't feel as we got our money's worth staying at this location as basically all you get is a bed to sleep in and an opportunity to take a shower.

In the final analysis the Hotel has lots of potential and will be beautiful when it is finished however I will be hard pressed to stay a night here again and pay a top class price for a hotel that is not quite so top class; more so when the Hyatt regency in POS is the same price with breakfast or if you need to be near the airport there is Innflight suites which has the same amenities at 150 usd with cereal, muffin, granola bar and juice for breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dami R, Manager at Regent Star Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear valued guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property because with this review we can see what changes we need to make in order to move forward and increase customer satisfaction.

We do apologize for you not leaving with a sense of full satisfaction, please give us the opportunity to correct that by staying with us in the future so we can get the chance to demonstrate the world class service that we are committed to giving to each guest that comes with our doors. We would also like to thank you for your kind words as this will be one of our motivations to be even better.

The Key-card is a Mag-strip card and it powers the energy saving units in the rooms, which explains why the electricity goes off after a few seconds of removing the card from the energy saving unit. It is a means on energy conservation.

Kindest regards,
Damion Richards
Senior Housekeeping Supervisor

Been to Regent Star Hotel? Share your experiences!