“Nina Beach Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Marmari
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Nina Beach Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2014

We have just returned from Kos staying at the Nina Beach Hotel. Our accommodation was switched to this hotel a few days before travelling and after reading the reviews I was ready to have a holiday from hell. Our room although basic was roomy enough and clean, likewise the bathroom and I think that apart from one day the towels were changed daily. The room was also cleaned daily. The bedding was changed just once - but that's no different from being at home. The meals were o.k. I would have liked to see toast at breakfast and butter rather than margarine to put on it. The evening meals were again o.k. The odd gem appeared - the spaghetti carbonara (I think it was) was delicious. In fact the pasta dishes were all tasty. The only complaint I have is that the food was always luke warm.

The pool area is very nice and seeing as the hotel was quiet there was no fighting for the very comfy sunbeds. The pool itself was very clean.

We spent most evenings in the pool bar. There is another hotel across the road and a shop, a hotel and taverna to the left of the Nina and a taverna and car hire place to the right. It is rather remote.

We found the staff and Nina most pleasant and helpful. All in all we enjoyed our stay at the Nina and loved the island of Kos.

I felt I had to write this to contradict some of the other reviews, I cannot believe we stayed at the same hotel. Whilst I wouldn't go back to the Nina it's not because of the rooms/food etc., it was just a little too remote for us.

Room Tip: I would opt for a room on the first floor probably at the front of the hotel which would get some su...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Sosnowiec, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2014

Nina is cheap hotel,but I think it is a nice place. Clean rooms,clean pool and great differents food.
If you're go to relax and rest this is perfect hotel.Small,quiet without loud animations. Services was very nice without one waitress ;)

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2014

I too have never ever wrote a review in my life however I feel it crucial I do!!

Where to start!! Everything is filthy and unkept , pool area full of wasps and limited sunbeds and pool is stinking dirty!!

Room is fifthy! Upon arrival I looked under the bed to find dirty cotton buds which the cleaner did not notice upon supposedly daily clean of the room!! They remained there for the whole time of our stay!! I refused to go under the bed to clean what should have been done by the maid!! No fresh towels had to ask ! Shower broke and powerless !

Some staff were however friendly while others unprofessional and ignorant!

I could go on forever!! However I'm relieved just to be home from literally the worse holiday of my life!!

Please save your money and pick better! This hotel doesn't even meet the standards of a 2* hotel!

• Stayed September 2014
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2014

The hotel is rated a four star but personally I would give it a one!!! On arrival we where told, by someone who reminded me of Animal from the Muppets, there was no room available for us and we had two options, either stay in a storage room in the basement or be moved to another hotel until they had a room for us. We choose the second option and went back to Nina hotel after 3 days. It is so bad I don't even know how to describe it. The room was dated and only divided by a thin door to the next room, no privacy, the bathroom was dirty and smelly, the food was not suitable for human consumption, it was recycled over and over again. I even got ill after eating something from there and spent the last 3 days felling very rough. Some of the employees were very rude and had no respect for us or each other, they were having arguments in front of guests. There was a Greek night but this didn't feel like it was for the people staying at the hotel it was more for the owner (nina), her family and friends. Something like having water with you by the pool was not allowed unless you buy it from the bar, we were being told what to not to wear at dinner, not allowed to take your drink (water cost 2.50 euros) to dinner even if you bought it from them on previous day. I could not wait to leave!!! Kos was great and would love to go back but never to Nina hotel

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Where to even start ! I've never written a holiday review before, however I feel the need to write one about this hotel! Just to let the whole world know how terrible this place really is! Even the name "Nina beach Hotel is a lie! The hotel is no where near the beach!! It's about a 15-20 minute walk in boiling hot weather! The staff is so rude towards the guests ! They show no respect at all ! The only friendly face is pedro behind the bar during the night! The head waiter is a nightmare that takes away your drinks from your and shouts at you in front of all the guests for not doing things her way ! You sit at a table she allocates to you and make sure you dont move ! Even the hotel owner nina is a headache ! She should really retire as she has no idea how to run this hotel ! She feels the guests are always wrong !!! And that is no way of running your hotel! Shouting to your guests, watching t.v. In front of everyone ! Which isn't professional at all! The hotel is so boring and offers no entertainment to the guests during the day or night! Everyone is asleep by 10pm and the bar area is always empty as prices are incredibly high!! The pool which is surrounded by wasps - not family friendly at all- was so green that you couldn't even see the bottom of the swimming pool then the owner nina makes up some pathetic excuse due to the fact that she doesn't want to waste money by adding a little extra chlorine In order to keep the pool clean! The food .... Is poison! I've been at this hotel for 2 weeks and I have had left overs every single night ! No fresh food or drinks provided ! You are basically eating cat food every night ! The rooms are cleaned everyday but not sure if they understand what clean really is ! I've had the same dirty towel and bed sheet for 2 weeks which is absolutely disgusting ! If it wasn't for a Portuguese couple and a few people from England we made friends with I would have been on the next flight back home! So take my opinion and save your money and don't go to this hotelll!! Find a better place in Kos ! If you look hard enough you will find much better ! I can't believe this hotel is a 4 star rating ! Should be 1 ! Terrible terrible terrible !

Room Tip: None !!! All rooms are terrible! Even the family rooms!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Alloa, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Stay was two weeks half board - room 112. Have to say, having read other reviews we found the hotel a little tired , but clean - as was the room - but staff responded very well to all requests, were upbeat and helpful - Pedro in the bar - Katrina and Tony in the restaurant and Yannis on reception + the big Greek night porter - and as for the owner, Nina -- she was just mad brilliant !! -- Strangely, if you treated the staff with respect, they treated you back the same ... they were all happy to help.
The Hotel is 15 minutes walk from the beach , 20 minutes walk from Marmari with a well stocked shop at the entrance gates - but talk about quiet -- its well away from buzzing bikes, trucks and passing bus's, as is the pool.
Food was very simple , limited choice but covered all the basics but with a few private places to eat within a short walk.
The bus stop to Kos and back is 4 minutes walk, so if what you want is more noise, its easy to find in Kos and comes at a cost of 2 Euro each way.
In short -- a lot better than expected, but be warned, you need to be up for a minimum of 15 minutes easy flat walk to get to the beach / places to eat.
As for the down side -- take plenty mosquito repellent ( its needed every where you go on Kos - not just the hotel ! ) - purchase a can of fly spray ASAP from the shop to ensure the bedroom stays clear of little biting visitors at night , and consider paying the little extra for the AC -- well worth the cost.
Free WIFI round the pool and pool bar - but nothing in the rooms.

Room Tip: Best not to get a room on bottom floor ( no view on the bottom floor )
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sosnowiec, Poland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I just got back form a week holidays in Kos island. We stayed at Nina Beach Hotel. First of all I was on a very tight budget that is why I booked Nina Hotel as the price for HB formula was reasonable and up to my money-wise expectations. The hotel is located in the middle of nowhere, in the close vicinity there are only a bus stop if you opt for a local bus trip to the city of Kos (the ticket costs 2 euro/one way), two car rentals and a small shop across the street. Apart from that nothing else but meadows and cows. The beach is approximately 500 m away which takes about 10 to 15 minutes walking.

Pro's:
- the pool area - big swimming pool surrounded by nicely kept garden with all the trim palm trees and other blooming flowers and plants. Quite a few sunbeds around the pool but there were moments that all of them were taken and people had to sit on plastic chairs.
- room - rather basic but clean with balcony and specious enough to accommodate two people and luggage. There are some other rooms less attractive in the basement with no balcony and windows but front, glass door. Unfortunately the A/C extra paid 6 euros/day, TV also paid, God knows how much as we weren't interested in renting it.
Con's:
- arrogant, rude, grumpy and insolent staff in the restaurant, especially the head waitress and the receptionist resembling goblin or dwarf. I've been traveling all around the world but never before have a seen such a lack of customer service, hospitality and good care of travelers in my whole, entire life. They treat people disrespectfully and in a humiliating manner.
- rules, the hotel is all about stupid and questionable rules which I found not acceptable at all. They are very clever at making up new rules depending on the occurrence of the situation. You are not allowed to have a purse or bag/backpack with you during breakfast, all of them are confiscated and deposited by the manager/head waitress, whoever this incompetent lady think she is, at the counter. You cannot be late for the dinner as you may be run down by the owner, Nina, that such a behavior won't be acceptable and the restaurant closes sharp at 9 p.m. and no food will be available afterwards as the staff members are going home. I have been witnessing such a situation and was left with shock and dazed expression on my face. No cup of coffee can be taken away from the restaurant if you feel like having a cigarette and a coffee by the pool, Nina, the owner will chase you and give you an unpleasant speech. No bottle of water or any other drink can be brought with you while having a rest on a sunbed near the swimming pool unless you buy them at the bar which is very expensive and makes this place uninviting. It is not possible to lay on the grass with the towel in case there are no longer sunbeds available. Even the sunbeds must be placed exactly on the tiles otherwise you will be asked to move them to the exact spot they belong. Wi-Fi internet which is only accessible by the pool and bar area, is quite often not available at all as the smart bartender disconnects the router and disables the internet connection whenever he sees you using the computer but not ordering anything from his bar. He did it several times with us. Once we went to make a complain to the receptionist but we were told that is is not allowed to sit on the sunbeds during the hours of darkness too and he has no influence on the bar guy so it is totally up to his decision whether he let you use the internet or not. A bunch of idiots nothing more.
- food, we are not a fussy eaters nor expecting big feast for such peanuts money but the food was rather scarce and for dogs mainly, I would call it rubbish food. Breakfasts were not edible at all and the choice was very poor. Tinned peach instead of fresh fruits, disguising and awful juice dispenser, horribly tasting coffee, etc. Whatever had left from the morning ended up in the evening meal slyly mixed with other dishes. The quality of the food served was very disappointing. Every second day they serve the same sorts of meals. Throughout our stay, I haven't seen Greek olives, Feta cheese nor other local specialties, the country of Greece is known for. A glass of red wine in the restaurant costs 3 euros. Very often they run out of dinner plates so they replace them with much smaller ones so that you can take only very limited amount of the food at one time. As there are not enough tables in the restaurant, we had to queue up many times and wait before being picked by finger manager of the restaurant and be seated accordingly.

To sum it up, the hotel is run by very incompetent people, especially the owner, Nina. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody as you may find on the island much better places. Avoid it at all costs. I really cannot understand how the owner, Nina, can be such an unpleasant and rude person, she and other staff members should be working in prison facilities not in the hotel with all the dumb rules and with such a bad attitude towards other people. People stay away from this place.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Nina Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!