“excellent staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 21 Kalaw B&B and Inns
Manila, Philippines
“excellent staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel was booked for me by a Myanmar travel operator who arranged my logistics and I was wondering how to find it when I got to Kalaw. Lo and behold, when the bus from Nyaungshwe let me off on the main road through Kalaw, there was Winner Hotel right across the road! And it was there as well that my overnight bus to Mandalay stopped to pick me up. So, locationwise alone, i was already happy with the hotel.

But that was not the only thing I was happy about. The hotel itself was nothing outstanding, but it was clean and well-run, convenient to good restaurants and to the five-day market, and my room was comfortable and the thick blankets welcome against the Kalaw chill. I had a basement room and, contrary to a previous review, it was by no means dirty or smelly, and had windows UP to the road which gave light, but, yes, there are more attractive rooms in other parts of the hotel (which would have been too expensive for me as I was travelling solo).

Above all, the hotel has a wonderful staff, from the owner himself who took the trouble to show me around the hotel to the young people at reception who put me in touch with trekking guides and bus companies. They kept a steadily refilled supply of free hot tea in the lobby to warm you against the cold. It was enjoyable bantering with them. When waiting out the evening for my much delayed bus, there were these young boys on the staff who kept me chatted up while one of them stayed alert for my bus in the freezing cold outside. My stay here was the epitome of the amazing friendliness which is my best memory of the country.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Very friendly and helpful staff. Good quality rooms on all floors and especially in the new wing but take care that you do not end up in the basement. The basement rooms have a prisonlike atmosphere, dirty, smelly and very, very basic and should be avoided at any price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
George Town, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

In Kalaw, we stayed at two hotels. After a few nights in the first, we almost wished we'd found Winner earlier. The first one had carpet in the rooms (which inevitably gets dirty), whereas the hardwood floors in Winner hotel seemed far more appropriate and were definitely cleaner. Also, the first hotel boasted wifi, but frustrated us with an internet connection that failed to work. Winner hotel does not have internet, but there are several internet cafés just around the corner.
Most (if not all) hotels in Kalaw are located in the central area, with everything you need within easy reach. Winner hotel is clean, comfortable, practical, efficient and affordable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
newzealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The hotel has nice room & clean, is located in the central of town so can go everywhere easily
near market , nice view from breakfast ballroom.
Good service & the staff were warmly welcome when we go into the hotel
we stayed US50 triple room, attached with bathroom. Mostly clean. GOOD for 3 of us.
The hotel arrange trekking guide, transportation for us . you can ask them so they will explain you details about trekking.
They arrange car for us to go to pindaya (go & back).
Jimmy is our guide. if u go there i recommand all of u to go trekking with him, he helped us on the way, very friendly & get alot of knowledge .... i'm sure i'll come again with my family ...
we trek 3 days 2 nights from Kalaw to Innle lake.

Room Tip: Room No 215
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Winner hotel

Location is great as it was right outside where the bus from Bagan drops you off & right in town. Some great restaurants in the close area.

Rooms were a good size, mostly clean but the bathroom could do with a bit of love but for 1 night it was just what we needed! USD25

• Stayed October 2012
California, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Located easy to walk to local market place and just 5 mins walk away to lots of nice restaurants
Pleasant stay in a spacious room and reasonable size bathroom, luckily room comes with air-condition which can access both cool and heat which make me good sleep in such a kind of cool weather in January!

It’s a one-stop service like money exchange, local flights as well as bus tickets to another town, trekking tour with local good guide. By the way, thanks Peter , local guide who make me unforgettable trekking tour in my life
For me, rather to rent hotel owned car which make more comfortable to travel in such a mountain area

Rooms rates offered are cheaper in comparison with other hotels in that area.

Overall, this hotel is good but if you want to look more luxury in living standard, suggest to book somewhere else , for me budget with good location Winner is the best !!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

If you're going to Kalaw, I wouldn't recommend this hotel in spite of it's convenient location. Even though the staff were friendly, the rooms were disgusting and uncomfortable (body liquid stains on the carpet, brown marks on the walls, tepid water at best, cockroaches, holes in the bathroom ceiling, holes in the sheets..)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Winner Hotel? Share your experiences!