“Excellent stay in a beautiful setting!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Albourne
Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa
Shaveswood Lane, Albourne BN6 9DY, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Albourne
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay in a beautiful setting!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Dear Lee and staff,

Just thought I would leave you another TripAdvisor review after the one I left you the first time we visited.

My wife and I had a great stay at Wickwoods on Friday 10th May. Room No.7 was amazing with beautiful views over the gardens and tennis courts. We particularly like the balcony and spiral staircase leading down to the bar, very handy! Very comfortable bed a rarity in hotels nowadays.

The staff and service and the Wickwoods is exemplary. As usual we had an excellent fully cooked breakfast with fresh coffee from the espresso machine ( a nice touch by the way!).

The only disappointment was having to leave, the next time we stay we shall book much further in advance and for at least 3 nights. Highly recommend to anyone who is flying into London Gatwick as it is close by with car, about 20 mins from airport and offers a relaxed and first class mini retreat in a tranquil setting.

Thanks again,

Kinlay and Kirsty Francis

Room Tip: Go for Room 7, it has great views over Wickwoods gardens and tennis courts. Also has its own balcony...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Wickwoods, Owner at Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you both for the lovely review and your highly valued repeat business.

I know the staff will be delighted that you enjoyed you stay with us again and I will ensure your review is past on to them.

Please do email me personally the next time you are intending to visit the club so we can meet you on your arrival personally.

Best Regards Lee Goossens

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have been a member of wickwoods for almost 3 years , and have seen vast improvements take place throughout the club . I use the spa and restaurant/bar regularly. The staff in all areas are always very attentive and polite , the cleanliness is always kept at a high level and of course the whole setting of the club makes for a very relaxing and pleasurable visit every time. I find it hard to imagine anyone finding fault at such a well run club with so many facilities , i wouldnt hesitate to recommend anyone to join , Robert

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for having taken the time to write a review Robert, we are delighted you are enjoying your membership, if we ever fall short of your expectation please do let me know.

If you have time when you are next in the club please ask for me so I can thank you personally, I know the staff will be delighted that you are enjoying the club and I will pass your comments on.

Best Regards
Lee Goossens
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My wife & I joined Wickwoods Country Club in October 2012 in an attempt to loose weight & get fit. I had not exercised properly for 12 years & at nearly 16.5 stone, I needed to do something positive. My wife suffers from arthritis & needed to exercise to manipulate joints. We looked at many clubs & had joined local private gyms in the past, but never got the incentive to use the facilities. I'm not going to give our age away, but we have grand children.
We chose Wickwoods because of its ambience, the peaceful Countryside surroundings & being a smaller Club, the friendliness & personal environment of members & staff. It worked for us. We don't play Tennis, so we concentrated on the other facilities the Club offered.
My wife uses the swimming pool on a regular basis & has made many friends. I concentrate on the Gym where I was introduced to Chris, one of the trainers who gave me my induction. Chris reviews my progress on a 2 monthly basis. He assess my weight, body fat ratio & many other health aspects. I get advice on diet & exercise programmes which has helped me enormously. There is no additional cost or fees for these assessments.
I am now 13.5 stone & I have a good physic - all in nearly 8 months. It wasn't easy & Wickwoods cannot wave a magic wand. It takes personal hard work, dedication & commitment, but they supported me & gave the enthusiasm I needed. The Gym has a great feel about it & there are always Trainers on hand to help. The most important attribute is that I enjoyed the training environment & that kept me going back.
However, its not just the Gym. The other facilities are all set out overlooking the gardens with continuous glazing throughout.
The restaurant & bar area has a relaxing atmosphere & has recently been extended outside with patios & decking for the summer. We often entertain friends & family & use the Club for meals particularly the Sunday Roast buffet rather than cook at home.
We are that pleased with the catering, facilities & beautiful setting that we have booked the function room for my Ladies Festival (Dinner Dance) at Wickwoods for March 2014.
OK why am I writing this review. My wife & I go abroad for the Summer & next week we leave for Spain & are not returning to the UK until September. We have thoroughly enjoyed the past 7/8 months at Wickwoods & I particularly have benefited in the physic I've achieved & how well I feel. A little praise therefore, should not go amiss.
Upon our return in September, we will be back at Wickwoods & hopefully continue to enjoy the Club as we have so far experienced.
As a footnote, I have by chance read the 2 previous poor reviews. I cannot understand their experience & assume someone or something upset them. If in doubt may I respectfully suggest you try the Club out. I have always found Lee & Vanessa approachable & willing to accommodate any practicable issues as well as always being available.
My staff appreciation would go to Chris my Trainer & Louise who has assisted us in the past.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
It is fantastic to learn that the environment we strive to provide has played a part in significantly changing someone health fitness and wellbeing.

Your achievement is testament to what can be achieved and an inspiration.

Please accept my thanks on behalf of all the staff for you having shared your experience with us, should we ever fall short of your expectations or if there is anything we can do to further support you in any way please do let us know.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Wickwoods, in part, advertises itself as a gym/spa. My review is based on this sole aspect of wickwoods. My review is based on my stay there using a one day "guest pass".

Positives: clean, lovely location and has a good reputation.

Negatives:

It is difficult to get to (you need a car).

Facilities are not top of the range. For example, the free weight section is lacking equipment.

There is a general lack of staff. For example, there doesn' t appear to be staff manning the gym floor that often. In the past this is where I have been able to pick up most of my tips about nutrition and work out regimes. This is unfortunate.

Most important to me is that I am able to work out at a gym. I like to use weights, running machines etc in order to maintain a good body and healthy lifestyle. Key to this is having clientele who are there and doing the same with staff who encourage a healthy and productive environment.The gym is empty on most days and probably makes most of its money from stay at home mothers who drive 4x4's. This place is more suited for weddings and retreats. I wouldn't go there if you have any weight loss goals or want to get fit. Your best bet is to go to a proper gym.

I can't comment on the other facilities such as the hotel, I hear these are great.

This is ashame as it looks the part. Great location, great building etc but unforunately its reputation does not stack up with reality.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Wickwoods, Owner at Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you for providing a review on the gym here at Wickwoods both myself and the gym team are to learn you found the gym fell short of your expectations. I notice you visited the club as a day guest and it is likely that you disappointment will have been linked to this if you visit had not been booked in advance.

The club has a number of members who train competitively and in speaking to them directly I understand they feel free weight area is adequate for the development of all major muscle groups.

The gym which is headed up Chris Battersby who is assisted by a team of four well qualified health and fitness coaches and at least one of the team is on duty every day all day. Perhaps you could let me know what day you attended so I can look into why there was a staff shortage during your visit.

Here at Wickwoods we provide members with complimentary health checks, posture analysis and nutritional advice sessions as well as bespoke fitness programs. Further members are able to have a free review at any time.

Through our Body Aware Program a considerable number of members have lost significant amounts of weight as made long term beneficial changes to their health, fitness and lifestyle.

As a day guest the gym might not have been well attended on the day your visited however the gym is very well attended by all types of people including those who train competitively.

I would like to invite you back the club to meet with one of our personal trainers for a complimentary personal training session, during the session the trainer will be able to tell you about the extensive opportunities available to you through our Body Aware Program.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I was a member of wickwoods but have had such a bad experience that i feel i cannot reccommend this club.
They have a reception area next to the gym which is often (60%of the time) un manned .
So one cannot get out of that entrance and has to do a tour of the building to get to the main entrance.
i have been there for lunch on three ocasions and the food has been sub-standard .
I wanted this place to be an escapism near my home but to "escape ' from it sounds far more appropriate .
The owner, manager Lee Gossen needs a little more experience in his management skills
Sandra

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Wickwoods, Owner at Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
As demonstrated through other reviews we welcome all feed back from our customers recognizing this assists in improving the product and service we provide to our valued clients.

The individual who has provided this review membership was terminated on the 01st May 2013 following an inappropriate action whilst on the premises and the review seems to be a reaction to having had their membership terminated rather than the service provided.

Our overall ratings provide a true reflection of the efforts we go to as a business and the high value we place on our client’s custom.

We have made a significant investment over the last three years to provide a range of excellent facilities and services, in the main we receive a great deal of good comments and reviews in this respect. Our chefs provide an excellent standard of fresh cooked food on a daily basis and are regularly complimented on the quality and presentation.

The entire team here at Wickwoods is committed to providing the best possible experience and we look forward to providing you with a warm friendly welcome.

Lee Goossens MD
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We have just come from a stay for 2 nights here and really enjoyed it! Managed to find the hotel round some windy bends and country lanes but when we pulled up were pleasantly surprised to find a well kept country club and private gardens. There are 7 rooms here and I decided to book the bridal suite which was room 7. My only negative here would be the rather loud screams from the room next door who clearly wanted to make sure everyone heard how they were enjoying their night! The fire door in our room was necessary but felt a little too close to the room next door and maybe could have been insulated better to avoid even hearing the guy on his phone, prompting us to turn our tv louder!.

The room was amazing though very large, nice flat screen tv, lovely balcony over looking the gardens and very clean and modern which was exactly what we wanted! The bathroom had no bath but was adequete for our needs. The spa was lovely too had a steam room, sauna, swimming pool and jacuzzi all kept very clean and tidy. The breakfast was very nice too good options and food quality was excellent.

The site is roughly 10-15 mins from Brighton town centre. There are tennis courts too and nice grounds with outdoor seating areas and if the weather was a little warmer would definitely enjoyed sitting outside to have lunch. The whole place is very quiet and peaceful so if you want to get away from it all and relax somewhere then this is a good shout.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Wickwoods, Owner at Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for having taken the time to write a review with regard to your experience. I’m sorry there were some less than considerate guests in the neighboring room and we will certainly look at improving the insulation of the firedoor here. Thank you for having brought the matter to our attention. We hope you find an opportunity to return in the near future. Lee Goossens
Btn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

It is a quiet and relaxing place to catch up with friends over lunch. The Sunday roast has improved and offers good value. Last week, about 20 of us met to celebrate a birthday. The carvery portions were plentiful and tasty, not bad at all, as far as carveries go. A three course meal, with glass of wine was about £22.00. Although the starter was fairly bland, the apple crumble and ice cream tasted home made. During the summer, you can easily spend a whole afternoon chatting outside in the garden over a coffee. Ideal place to take elderly relatives and family for lunch, as the surroundings are so pleasant, especially on a sunny day. Worth the drive to get to to it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Wickwoods, Owner at Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review following your Sunday Carvery birthday celebration here at Wickwoods Country Club Hotel and Spa. I am delighted you all had a relaxing time. Please accept my apologies that your starter did not meet with your expectations, I will pass on your comments to our head chef.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, thank you for your valued custom.

Been to Wickwoods Country Club, Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!