“Ambient but missed a few marks” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Peregian Beach
“Ambient but missed a few marks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Ambient, cute cafe in Sassafras, however no gluten free menu, predominantly wheat based products like baguettes with no real gluten free alternatives, anything other than soup / baguettes / cakes are $20 plus. Service was a little slow with 3 people floating in the kitchen and one person on the till, delivering meals and taking orders. I wouldn't go back, it didn't suit my needs.

Visited December 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Nice atmosphere - room for improvement but fairly decent!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I'm a particularly fussy customer.

I had a lovely coffee, very nice piece of cake - it was a frangipani to be precise and looked at one of the books. I was basically just killing time.

The service although a little disjointed was good, friendly wait staff who told me to sit but then left me without a menu for a period of time until I had to glance across indicating I was feeling a bit neglected. Although apologetic and easy enough to forgive, I didn't think it was busy enough to leave someone sitting menu-less for over five minutes. We're all entitled to an off-day here and there so I wouldn't hold it against them and not go back because as I said, I'm pretty fussy. I'm probably one of the worst customers; moody, impatient and with high expectations.

Meh. Check it out. It's Sleepy Sassafras so you have to expect it to be a bit different than when you're eating out in the city.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Went there a few times before and liked it very much. Today's experience was rather bad. Service still good and atmosphere cosy but the quality of the food is rather disappointing. Had a seafood marinara and all the clams were still closed. Asked the chef who responded it was perfectly fine to eat them. But doesn't any cooking lesson teach you that closed clams are bad? Besides, I couldn't even open them with a knife even if I wanted to. Risotto was very watery and the steak had no taste and was of mediocre quality.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“luckymumma”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

First visit, welcoming staff, good service, plenty of choice, delicious food and coffee,comfortably warm and wonderful company. What a lovely way to spend a very cold day.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Over-ripe I think!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This was my second visit to ripe. My first time was not too bad, the food and service was ok - there was a lot of parents with toddlers there at the time, so the level of noise and kids running about was a little annoying, but hey I've got kids..so I could tune out because they weren't mine :-)

My recent visit was what I can only state as disappointing and somewhat embarrassing. I had an interstate visitor that I was showing around the hills and thought I would give Ripe another go as it always seems quite busy (usually a good sign). The staff member that finally came to show us to a table showed no sign of interest or enthusiasm in us or her job. We then sat there without anyone coming near us for about 10 mins. When we finally caught one of the wait staff's attention and asked her if she could please take our orders, she went off in a huff and came back with some water and her pad.

Apart from the baguette's there isn't really much in the way of a reasonably priced lunch. I had a vegetarian tasting plate, which was nice enough, but certainly nothing to rave about. Both my friend and my daughter had the baguette's and did not enjoy them at all. Just so much bread with not a lot of filling to take away the dryness of the actual bread itself. When you ask for toasted you expect the cheese to be melted inside, but this wasn't the case.

When it came time to leave and pay at the counter, we received the same 'could care less" attitude. To be honest - I really don't think anyone would have even noticed had we walked out of there without paying.

I won't be going back for a third time, there's plenty of other places to eat in Sassafras and in the hills that would be glad of the patronage I'm sure!

Visited June 2013