“Great steakhouse, but...” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   14 Beaver Creek Lane, Gilmour, Ontario K0L 1W0, Canada   |
Hawkesbury, Canada
“Great steakhouse, but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

The steakhouse was absolutely amazing. The food, the ambiance and the service were great. But the resort did not meet our expectations. There were not enough plugs to have the AC, lights and phone so we had to unplug one to use the other. The whirlpool tub did not work despite us paying extra for that luxury and they didn't even offer to reduce our bill. It faces the wood instead of the beautiful creek. Their laundry machines broke. The helmets for the ATVs reeked. The gardener kept watering the lawn with a really loud pump from the creek so it was less than relaxing and there were no lawn chairs to sunbathe. The sitting area under the gazebo is really nice but the seat cushions are soiled making us avoid those. There is no pool so you can either rent a canoe, paddle boat or ATV. Would we return? Given that we live pretty far and the only attraction there was the steakhouse...No.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the creek or face the woods and children's playground.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael P, General Manager at Hastings Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
We work hard at providing excellent amenities, food and service. Although we appreciate your liking of the steak house, your criticism of the rest is unwarranted and irrational.

You state that the resort did not meet your expectations, but you do not state what your expectations are. The building code dictates how many plugs can be located at each wall, and we cannot exceed that standard. There are plenty of plugs throughout each room to connect your chargers or other mini appliances. They cannot all be concentrated in one location. If the whirlpool tub did not work, then all you had to do was ask us to address that issue, either by repairing the tub or reducing your rate. Despite continuous and thorough maintenance, equipment breaks down at any resort, hotel, spa etc…, it only takes a small comment from the customer to have the issue remedied. You say that your room faced the woods instead of the river. First of all, your room faced amazingly lush deep Canadian forestry and we challenge you to find such forestry in the City. Secondly, show me a building that has all rooms looking in one Cartesian direction. That is not physically possible. Some rooms face the river, others face the woods. In respect of the laundry machines, we have brand new commercial laundry machines. If they malfunctioned, we assure you that they were immediately repaired, and we don’t even have to know when your visit took place as we cannot operate without laundry machines – that is why the laundry machines could not have been down for more than a half day – and that is if they even were broken as you say.

Admittedly, despite our best efforts to disinfect the ATV helmets after each use, the helmets could have smelled as many people wear them, but they smelled no less and no differently than any other RENTED helmet that you would have worn – for example, at any car racing venue or action adventure place such as paint ball or laser quest. You wash yourself after wearing the helmet if you are uncomfortable.
We have numerous lawn chairs, but they may have been in use during the time you wanted to use them. We cannot understand how you can say that we had no lawn chairs. It is such an irresponsible comment to make.
The only accurate representation that you have made (other than liking the steak house) is that we have no pool. Yes, the resort is very new and we have not yet built a pool. BUT, we are on a river in which you can swim. We are located on Canada’s largest forested ATV (summer) and Snowmobile (winter) trail; We are located within a 5 minute drive to a massive lake in which you can rent boats, fish and swim. If you wish, you can even hunt in the huge forest behind our resort.

Our resort offers, a cabin like feel surrounded by pristine nature, in the middle of Canada’s great wilderness and forestry, all with reasonably luxurious amenities, a great steak house and access to Ontario’s great open waters – all where our customers can get away from their busy city lives to quietness and peace. There are many resorts in Ontario, and no resort will meet your expectations if they are not in accordance with the amenities of the resort which you attend.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

We took friends out for a birthday dinner and we were extremely happy with the quality of the meal and the exceptional service. This is a rustic looking steakhouse, but it will stand up to any fine dining establishment in Toronto or Vancouver. The menu is a tad on the pricey side, but well worth the treat!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My Husband and I went to Hastings Resort for a weekend getaway and had a wonderful stay. Like a lot of reviewers here, we also had purchased a voucher. The appealing part was not only the price of the voucher but that we were allowed to bring our dogs. The property is beautiful, well maintained and the staff are extremely friendly. It is very relaxing and serene sitting by the river. The voucher was valued at $400+ but I would've been very disappointed if I had paid that price. It is currently more like a 'lodge' than a resort but I think this is because they are relatively new. They do plan on offering a lot more to the resort. The room we stayed in had a king sized bed, which I enjoyed but felt it may have been a little too 'big' for the actual room itself. There is no sitting area inside our room, only on the balcony. Our room included a mini fridge and a t.v.

We got rained out on one day of our trip, so I wasn't able to utilize the equipment they offer. A lot of reviewers here and the H.R. website had mentioned hiking trails, but we were told by the receptionist at H.R. that there was none???

The resort offers free internet, but my room couldn't pick up the signal at all.

Please note that the resort is literally in the 'middle of nowhere'. Be prepared to drive 30 minutes to town if you wanted to eat elsewhere or grab supplies. Fortunately, I read some reviews before going and had brought snacks and bottled water with us. We could've use the microwave in the commons room if needed. The steakhouse is really delicious to eat at - we ended up going there twice for dinner!

Overall, the resort has great potential and I look forward to their future upgrades, including the swimming pool and jacuzzi.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

First of all, do not come without a voucher. The voucher I used was $99 for a two night stay, including dinner $50, lunch $5 and a full day worth of kayak,canoe and bicycling. The supposed value of the voucher was close to $500. Unfortunately, Hastings Resort isn't worth the full price but it was a very enjoyable and excellent stay for $99. (Stayed mid July).

Hastings Resort is literally located in the middle of nowhere. Therefore, finding food (other than the steakhouse) may be a problem. Either bring your own food (they have plates, bowls, utensils, a microwave and electric kettle in the common room and a not-very-cool mini fridge in your room) or you may have to go to the nearby town (Bancroft, 30 min drive) to eat. If you go to their steakhouse, while dinner is expensive, lunch isn't as bad (around $15). And I agree with everyone... the steakhouse is really good.

I stayed in a regular room in the main lodge. I have to agree that the rooms are a little on the small side but it wasn't really a problem for me. The more important thing for me was cleanliness and their rooms passed superbly. The toilets were small but they looked nice and new. I was happy to note that they don't have the problem of yellow water anymore but the water had a tint of iron (perhaps rust?) and it gave a weird feeling when you drank it. I'm not sure why because water at Bancroft was fine. However, I was prepared with water bottles so that wasn't a big deal.

Hastings Resort doesn't really have a lot of equipment. They only had one canoe, two kayaks and a paddle boat. Be prepared to wait for them. However on my stay, the wait wasn't too bad. The stream that you ride on is a beautiful sight, I even saw a beaver! They also have 4 bikes but I didnt get to test them out. The hiking/bike trails aren't very long (I think 15 mins or so?). I stopped once I reached the point where there were a bunch of no trespassing/shooting range signs but apparently shooting season is only two weeks in november so I was told we are free to continue the trail by front desk. I was hungry so I never continued. The mosquitoes aren't as bad as some reviews made them sound but perhaps it depends on the season.

Overall, resort is the wrong name given to this establishment. The main lodge isn't that big (maybe 15 rooms?) and the grounds itself isn't that big either. I wouldn't say that there is a lot to do there but it is relaxing and peaceful. The staff is friendly but there is not always someone at front desk. The free wi-fi is a little slow but it works. Be prepared that cellphone reception in the area is a little patchy (had no signal inside the lodge with rogers/fido but was better once outside the area). I would definitely recommend this establishment to anyone who expects it for what it is, and not what it advertises to be. But honestly, I don't think anyone from the reviews paid full price.

Room Tip: Ask for the third floor (highest level) because you can hear footsteps of the upper floor.
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

Great service and quaint location. Food was excellent and presentation was superb!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is a whole in the wall. I got a two night stay via Kijiji Deals. The place looked very nice with the pictures and the write up, but my god is it ever a dump. The place is DIRTY, everything was below acceptable standards. We were supposed to stay two nights and left after just one. The AC was not properly installed, it leaked and was excessively loud. Never would I go back here again.

Thornhill, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed at the resort for the Canada Day long weekend. I am usually not a fan of these types of trips, but this one, I must say, really impressed me. The resort itself was very clean and enjoyable to stay in, staff was friendly, and the food was excellent. For the first time I can say that I enjoyed staying at a resort with my family and friends on a long weekend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hastings Resort? Share your experiences!