“high expectations not reached” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pico Sands Hotel

You added Pico Sands Hotel to your Saves list
Pico Sands Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Pico de Loro Cove, Hamilo Coast | Brgy. Papaya, Nasugbu, Luzon 4231, Philippines   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Nasugbu
quezon city
“high expectations not reached”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed here for a 2 day seminar. Sorry but i have a different experience with this hotel.just had to comment about it. Was expecting 5 star services and accommodation due to its exclusivity - it being known as members only resort/club. Upon reaching room, both key cards given to us didn't work so we had to wait for > 15 mins to get in. View from balcony was nice, lagoon side. Beds are comfy and big, room is clean, with basic decor, flat screen tv , air con, toiletries, with bath robes - which aren't present in all hotels, so that was good. However, no slippers,( which I find to be not usual, esp since they have robes ), so be prepared to walk on non-carpeted cold floor. After a day activity, returned to our room and upon opening the door, a very bad odor welcomed us. Called the maintenance and in 10 mins, a room boy came with a room spray , and he told us that there were times when that odor was present . Sorry to tell you but it smelt like sewer system had a leak - that's how bad it was! room 415. We asked to be transferred to another room since my allergic rhinitis already was starting and my roommate has asthma, so we were given room 422. In fairness, there was no odor like the first one, but the aircon was a bit noisy. Well, you have to give up something for something in this hotel, we figured. No complaints with the scenery, the pools, the shuttle. Food served were average. Staff was helpful, but had some minor problems at the front desk , we thought that he was a newbie, since he didn't give his best effort to find our stuff which we left at the front desk before we went to tour the place, because he immediately said that it wasnt there without even looking for it, when all the time, our stuff was staring him at his face! Also if you order food which you will eat in your room, you have to go down to get it (which is unusual when you stay at 2 or 3 star hotels or even B&Bs.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms have the pool and lagoon view, while even numbered rooms give you the mountain vi...

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Pico Sands Hotel: It’s a great experience every weekend!

If you’re searching for a nice, cool place to spend a full weekend to chill out with your family or with your closest friends, the place you are looking for must be the Pico Sands Hotel at Pico De Loro Beach and Country Club. Like the proverbial gold at the end of the rainbow, Pico is located right at the end of the quaint Nasuggbu Road in Batangas and when you do get there, you’ll know you have arrived.

From the moment you set your foot down from your vehicle, regardless if it’s a gleaming beamer, a souped-up Cooper, or a muddy mountain bike, Ronald the bellman spritely comes up to greet you with a sincere welcome smile. He ushers you right in as his ready assistants cheerfully carry your bags for you to your place at the check-in counter.

Here, a friendly Tara efficiently accommodates you with the best room most suitable for you and your party. And if you are among the first early birds, Tara might just upgrade your room to one of the hotel’s very spacious and breezy loft units facing the lagoon at the same original price you have agreed to take!

Indeed, Pico Sands Hotel has a different brand of hospitality all together.

The menu at the hotel’s dining is a whole list of favorites. Top of mind is the Grilled lobster entrée laid gently on crunchy Green Vegetable and topped with a rich dripping of Lemon Butter Sauce. (Sigh). Cooked perfectly by Chef Rea herself, it is made juicy succulent and tender to the palate. As a fair warning to the diet conscious, this crustacean serving can be so filling even to a sumo. What’s more, it pairs perfectly with their white Berenger Classic that you just munch away. By the way, if you brought your own bottle of wine, they will uncork it for you without any corcage fee and Leo, the Outlet Sup, will be more than happy to chill it for you.

And if Aris Alcuaz, manager of Pico Sands, happens to catch you there while he’s making his rounds, he will surely drop in a nice hello on your table, shake your hand in the name of true friendship and treat you to a freshly baked dessert so yummy you’ll never forget- The Dulce de Leche Oreo Pie. It’s one hot item exclusive only to the hotel. I’ve always ordered it, ever since.

You’ll find out later like I did that Mr. Alcuaz has got this reputation of spoiling his hotel guests, a matter not so surprising perhaps if you get lucky enough to meet Pico’s top honcho, the General Manager Ms. Maria Garcia. If señor Aris gives you the best of Pico Sands Hotel, well, Lady Maria gives you the best of the whole Pico de Loro, and I mean the whole of the Beach and Country Club. She might even get you to judge the next Miss Earth Bikini Pageant that’s held there yearly.

The great thing about Pico Sands Hotel is the exciting outdoors that it has to offer.

They got a double complex of swimming pools. One is at the nearby Country Club where Reggie the lifesaver closely supervises its pools. Cris Cuevillas attends to you as the F&B manager as Louie Ramos manages the Beach Club complex.

At the Country Club, they got it all in tip-top shape. Name it. Tennis. Ping Pong. Basketball. Badminton. Volleyball. Video Games. Karaoke. Mah Jong. Billiards. Bowling. To say the least, the Gym has everything in it. And then, you got the Coffee shop and The Lagoa Restaurant with Chef Carlos, Glaucus the waiter, Jerome the bartender and Elma and Alexander at the B&B.

The Beach Club is the favorite to many because there they got the Beach Soccer and Volleyball, the Jet Skis, the Banana Boats, the Kayaks, and the Speed Boat Tour to Santelmo’s White Sand Beach. Mel the S&R Supervisor leads the way around here, but the Senior Membership Manager Tet Samala makes sure all is well wherever you’re at.

Now, if you get hungry at the Beach Club, as surely you will, look for Ryan the big guy of Sun Coral Restaurant so he can ask Chef Louie to cook up something for you.

That said it’s really difficult to pinpoint what makes Pico click. Some may go for the hotel’s great accommodation and the countless sport and entertainment facilities. To some, the food is what matters. On the other hand, many will say it’s the fun and frolic they had at the beach.

It’s different with us. My family and I would always say it’s the people who run Pico de Loro that makes the place click. Everybody smiles at you there. From the top honcho all the way down to the guy in the worn-out buri hat who does nothing the whole day but comb the long stretch of beach to pick liter. You see in their faces that they love taking care of you. I’m proud to say, they’ve all become friends there.

To us, that’s just super cool.

Room Tip: There are two (2) choices of views. One is the Lagoon View and the other is Mountain View. Do choose...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

First, don't come to Pico if you don't have a recommendation letter (we actually use a form) from a member. When we went here (twice already), a friend who's a member gave us a signed form. I know there are also Pico unit owners advertizing in Sulit - recommendation letter and use of their condo unit in Pico. In our case, we stay in the Pico Sands Hotel.

Even if this thread is a review of Pico Sands only, I'd like to share my feedback for all "parts" of this vacation destination.

1) Pico Sands (my rating: 3/5) - quite new hotel and very clean, BUT others were right when they say the rooms are quite bare, plain and utilitarian. I swear it would compare to 2-star hotels abroad. Buffet breakfast suits a well-run hotel, although not Shangri La caliber. Room rates are too high for the quality of the hotel itself, but I tell you, the overall charm of the entire Pico property almost completely makes up for that (right now, I think the smallest room runs at 7k for a weekend night - remember, I said room quality is not even close to 5k a night hotels in Metro Manila). And by the way, you pay more (I think 500 or 1k) for a room facing the central lagoon - it's actually worth it, esp. for a more romantic getaway.

2) Beach Club (my rating: 4/5) - this is the attraction at the beach end of the property. Beach sand is quite good for that Batangas area. The "exclusivity" makes for a good crowd, just right for relaxation while avoiding huge crowds. I enjoyed the drinks and appetizers served by the waiter at the table beside our lounge chair/bed at the middle of the beach. The small-to-medium pool at the beach club is also a nice part which gives you a convenient alternative to swimming at sea. The food at the restaurant there tastes good to, well for the Filipino food we ordered.

3) Country Club (my rating: 7/5 hahah) - the pool here must have been one of, if not the BEST, I've swan in. Note I've been around to places like Shangri La Mactan, Shang Boracay and other places which have nice pools. I say this in terms of design, size, cleanliness and view. Again, I think most of theseare driven by the place being quite exclusive (and double that because of the sheer distance hahah, it's quite a remote place). The pool is super clean I can't remember I've seen another pool as clean, even if newly cleaned. The "infinity" view towards the central lagoon is breath taking, and I suggest you do this while lying on the lounge bed "dipped" on the 6-inch shallow top part of the pool complex.

Other parts and aspects of this property that you might enjoy, and I would review in detail anymore: the central lagoon, the regular golf cart/tram service, the great view when your room faces the lagoon.

A few things I didn't really like: on a Saturday night we were there, a beach party they set up turned out a flop - surely because of the entrance price to the buffet and party, given the quality of food (a variety of barbecue, Filipino style), given you have nice restaurant food just nearby. Also, I can;t seem to figure if the bar at the hotel is open or not. I haven;t seen anyone drinking there. And yes, except for breakfast, I took all other meals at the beach club.

I will surely come back, when I'm already yearning for all those good things I mentioned above. Of course, with our friends signed form.

Room Tip: Pay the difference and pick a room facing the lagoon
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Quezon City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed here in Pico Sands Hotel for our corporate summer outing a week ago.
I was stunned by the beauty of this place.
The accommodation maybe a little pricey but it’s worth the time, the travel and the money.
The rooms are big and clean. The beach club amenities are really nice and well-maintained. The restaurants serve good tasting foods. The hotel employees are well-trained.
The surroundings are nice and will make you feel relaxed.
This is definitely one great place to visit if you want to splurge a little for some R&R.

Mandaluyong
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My Balikbayan/retired FILCAN brother and sis-in-law drove us to attend a bday celebration of a business associate in Pico de Loro last 3/10/2013. Our accommodations for 3D2N stay was booked at Sulit.com. We arrived late so they were not able to take a tour of the resort w/c they find very nice and secured. Since they want to invest on a vacation place in Phil.,for their big Canadian family, they decided to come back the following day to canvass the place. I toured them on the clubhouse where the pool, bowling area and other indoor sports area are located. We informed the front desk that since they are not going to use the pool and beach facilities,they don't need to pay the P500.00 entrance fee w/c is a requirement plus a P1050.00 pre paid card to pay for drinks, etc. When we went to the bowling area to take a look, I decided to buy them juice/drink w/ my pre-paid card. The waiter refused to serve us because he was ordered by the front manager not to; reason being,they did not pay for registration fee so not allowed inside. They were dying of thirst after more than 3 hrs. drive to look at the place before they decide to buy and they were refused!!! That was their 1st offense; 2nd: when we went to the beach club w/ the rest of the group, we ordered drinks and only used 3 pre-paid cards to cover for 9 people and they served us! My bro brought buco-pie to serve as bday cake and we requested the waiter to slice it for us (w/c he gladly did) but came back and told us that his manager said we're not allowed to eat outside food, Few mins. later, the manager herself came to our table and asked "Are you going to order & eat here?".Her version of saying, get out of here if you're not ordering! My bro/sis-in-law are globe trotters and they have never felt discriminated from any country they've been to. it's sad they got it 1st hand in their own country.Not enough space to air our 3 more grievances but bottomline-they're not buying anymore & we'll never-ever come back! Positive side-the Condo crews from manager to front desk to security to shuttle drivers - excellent service. But Club/beach house?service from hell. Forgot to mention, hospital/prison food is better than what they serve for an insane price!

I

Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went to Pico as a group of friends with our families (mostly young kids) in tow. We were a big group but checking-in was hassle free. Access to the resort is for members and member-endorsed guests. We fall under the latter category.

Rooms:
We stayed at Pico Sands Hotel. They offer room options depending on preferred view (lagoon or mountain view) and bed type (2 double beds or 2 queens, 1 king etc). The room is clean and modern and has hotel room amenities. The lowdown - the sound proofing is bad that you can hear if any door in the floor slams and all the loud chatter of guests walking at the hallway.

Facilities:
Pico de Loro is a sprawling facility.  There are pools in the county club and beach club, though the one in the country club is bigger and more picturesque.  The beach and various water sports facilities are available at the beach club. There is a recreational area should guests want to play billiards or bowling. There is also a spacious kids play area where kids can play indoors.

You need not bring your car to move from one facility to another (which can be messy when you are dripping wet from a dip in the pool/beach). They have shuttle service to transport guests.  During our stay, there is no long wait for the shuttle service as the guard would just radio in and a shuttle service would arrive soon.

Tips for those traveling with kids:
1. Bring towels. They won't furnish extra towels at the room even when requested.
2. Bring socks. The kids enjoyed playing at the indoor play area but kids (and caregiver) must be in socks to access the facility.
3. Be prepared to spend! All the restaurants (except for Lagoa) serve buffet meals. Kids above the age of 4 are charged half the buffet price which is sooo exorbitant considering the limited range and quality of food which didnt appeal much to the kids. Same story for breakfast. Apparently the breakfast voucher is only for adults and you cannot order a la carte during breakfast. The kids were charged half breakfast buffet price. What a rip off!
4. Bring snacks. We brought cookies, biscuits and chips. Our bags didn't get inspected and I get the sense that it is allowed.

Overall, even if we felt that the food charges were a rip off, we (especially the kids) had a great ttime. I still think it is a great getaway place for the family but one must be prepared to spend.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place is amazing. Im from the US living here for several years, i have been to several locations in batangas and always find myself comparing the resorts to the Amers and South Amers.. this place is really up to my standards. Even the directions - once you are within 40 kilometers from the place, you start seeing signs for directions, all the way to the door. very well done. upon arrival, you are amazed at the vast and large manicured landscape, the place is huge! everything about this place is fantastic! staff, rooms, other guests, people, pools, amenities - everything!

Room: stayed in one of the penthouses. very large, clean, brand new. everything was perfect, beds, TV,super clean - simply amazing. only thing to mention, zero water pressure in the shower. not even a drizzle of water. didnt bother us, we were there for the beach and pools. Some of the other TV reviews claim the walls are very thin and you can hear everything, this is true. we had the same experience with our room, you can hear the neighbors and people in the hallway. did it bother us? absolutely not. we are on vacation for a few days - not living there. clearly there are other people enjoying the facilities as well. you want solitude? go sleep on the beach.

Restos: Food was fantastic! while most of the resto's had similar food, it was all good. even the breakfast. both international and philippino.

Pools: there are fantastic pools everywhere! perfect, new and fully staffed with life guards. i love it. there wasn't a single thing wrong with the pools, layout, location, water nothing. they ware simply perfect! and plenty around!

Staff: very friendly and helpful. could use a bit more training in certain areas... example, we were given a card for our expenses, which is great, but every time we ordered a drink or something, they would take the card and not come back for 30 mins for the signature. for me, I have a beer every 15 mins, so it was a bit of a hassle. we got over it quickly and just ordered extra and started asking for our check as soon as our food/drinks are delivered so we didnt have to wait when we were ready to go.

Facilities: super fantastic! huge place, sooo many things to do. pool club, bowling, billiards, kids club, pony rides, ATV, water sports etc the list is long. and everything was brand new! I love the layout. walk in, elevator to you room. arrive to sports club, everything is at your finger tips. no walking, running around looking for things. its all laid out perfect and well thought out. only thing to mention, the floor tiles used everywhere in the resort, and i mean everywhere, are very very slippery when whet. so you must be very careful after it rains or around the pool.

Beach: beach was good - enjoyable, no rocks, sand is brownish, water is clean, kids really enjoyed it. in comparison to some other places in Batangas, its the best I've seen so far. Although they have these nice little flags you use to get service - around the beach, service is not the best. Ordering drinks/etc around the beach will yield a long wait. again, not a deal killer, i would just walk up to the bar and get it myself.

Costs: everybody complains on TA about how expensive this place is and how they charge you for everything. yes, they do charge you for a towel, pony, play room ride etc but I think thats OK. paying p50 for a towel for the day and knowing I dont have to worry about returning it later didn't bother me. With regards to food/drinks, I didnt find it that expensive compared to places like acuatico or similar places down the block. actually, I found the food prices quite good and set just right! if you dont like paying p50 for a towel for the day, bring your own. that simple. and they also had plenty of things to do for FREE, you dont have to pay for everything, but yes - expect to pay to take their brand spankin new wave runners out for a spin!

overall: this has become my new 'goto' place for a quick getaway from Manila. its simply awesome. its a short, enjoyable trip, the roads are nice and paved all the way, and the place makes you feel as if you are in another world. just awesome! Check-in and check-out were quick, simple and fast. it felt good that it took less than 5 mins in each direction! again, perfect!

things that bothered me, slightly (if I have to mention some negatives) but will not sway my decision to return or recommend this place in anyway. this is my reason for 4 stars vs 5 stars, which I really wanted to give:

- Water pressure is really bad (my wife was bothered about this)
- Room service once asked us to come get our drink at the lobby bar, we thought it was funny and asked that they bring it up. took a bit longer than usual but they did. i just thought it was funny.
- breakfast buffet, there were a ton of people for breakfast on Sunday and while the spread was nice, there was only one guy at the pancake station and one guy at the omelette station. if you wanted a pancake, it was a 20-30 mins wait - thats exactly what the guy said. same went for the omelette station. people were starting to get a bit annoyed at this.
- staff would take forever to cash you out with your little plastic card. this is the one thing that bothered me most, as I would have to wait so long to get more drinks etc
- Room walls are thin - you can hear everything. while this didnt bother us at all, yes, you can hear other people walking in the room next door and noise in the hallway when kids are screaming. to me, it makes me feel as if im on vacation and im fine with it. if you need absolutely silence, bring ear plugs.

one last note - to the people saying that if you stay at the hotel you cannot enjoy members areas? - this is not true or has recent changed. not a single time were we not allowed to enjoy ANY of the facilities, areas of the members only space. we were allowed to go anywhere freely without question or being questioned.

We will return!!!

Room Tip: Go for the penthouse for just a little more money. the views are fantastic and nobody above you!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Pico Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!