“Disappointed stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 22 Nakuru B&B and Inns
Nairobi, Kenya
“Disappointed stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The reception on arrival was good (Rebecca & Anne pls keep it up). However, I was very disppointed on 25 Dec 2012 by the the room attendant who cleaned our room. We had carried a cask of 5 litres wine but when we went to church on xmas day morning on return we found our wine was fetched and only about 1 litre was remaining. We were very disppointed because we had planned with friends a picnic at Nakuru National park on the following day as my daughter was celebrating her 18th birthday. We have travelled wide in Kenya e.g. Mara, Olotukai, Tsavo, Mombasa & Malindi and we always carry wine but it has never happened to me like. We vowed never to go back to Merica and would advise travellers to be carefull with and take care of such eventuallities. My question is why would room attendant empty our wine? We cannot recommend anyone to stay at Merica.

We reported our complains but we had to follow it up like several times. Although a discount was extended to us our wine was more expensive than that.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms are noisy but avoid the ones facing the parking and on Kenyatta avenue
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
OPSMerica, Manager at Merica Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Once again we sincerely apologize for the incident regarding your wine cask.We have noted your comments and will use them as key points in our continuous improvement plans.

Regards,

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Hollviken, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I see that Merica hotel has poor review which I do not know why is it because it is not that bad at all.
First of all, I would say that food is AMAZING, rooms are quiet okay, and security of hotel made my stay because they kept me company and we had great laugh together.
As Kenya as Kenya is my love, hardly anything there I would not like, but honestly, hotel is NOT BAD AT ALL! My grade is 4.
It is because Location is not that perfect, I would not know what to do except standing in front of hotel with security.

Visited August-September 2011.

Much love for Merica hotel!!!!!

N

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
OPSMerica, Manager at Merica Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comment. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and this is truly appreciated.We have plans to improve our facilities in order to make our guests stay more memorable.
Best Regards,

Uxbridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

After a long drive from Kisumu I really need to relax but the rooms were dark and not overly clean. The bathroom facilities were poor and it was hit and miss for hot water. No A/C. I needed a massage for my back and was told they only did one type of massage. This young girl came in dressed in normal clothes and started to massage me. She had no idea at all and I had to direct to what to do. Total waste of time. Then when i went to check out found they had overcharged me. Instead of giving any money back just told me I will get a free massage next time.Finance staff hopeless. Reception staff no better. The buffet food available was awful and restaurant service just as bad.
One of the worst hotels I have stayed at in East Africa

Room Tip: Find another hotel is the simple answer
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
OPSMerica, Manager at Merica Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your feedback regarding your last stay with us. We have noted the areas that did not live up to your expectation and will concentrate our efforts and resources to improve on them.

Regards,

Oslo, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is the worst hotel i`ve ever stayed in.
Carpets on the floor in the rooms,and they are not at all clean and i even found some rusty nails sticking up from the carpent!!...so glad my kid was not crawling around......
The service of the people working there, it SUCKS bigtime. NO SERVICE what so ever, not even a smile on their faces. I met ONE nice person there, and that was the bartnder in the hotels bar.
The restaurant took forever to come with food. Expect to wait for food at least 1 hour++
Very old bathroom with a shower that covers the bath in water. The light in the bathroom also started to burn.
And the location of the hotel,...right on a extremly busy road, no silence.
TERRIBLE-JUST STAT AWAY !!!!!!!! p.s-and check out how i had to charge my phone....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Things started rough and ugly the first few days. I had to restrain myself from posting a subpar review, and glad I did because things mildly improved over my 16-day stay. An important reminder that one or two bad incidents do not always warrant a poor review. Nevertheless, only three stars can be pinned for this hotel.

Location: Near the CBD with easy transit options. Is across the street from a new nightclub with loud, no...LOUD music the evening through eary morning. Not just on weekends either. I'm no crybaby, this It is a serious problem which requires people on the main street-side of the hotel to move to another room. Some government official was paid a plenty to turn their head issuing a licence to allow that noise across from the hotel. The hotel says they are doing everything they can to resolve this, including recording all complaints to show the bar owner. For the guest, stay away from that side of the hotel, even you deep sleepers like aye!

The gym is 300Ksh daily, but longer term stayers can negociate a reduced price. The space is relatively large (to Kenya standards) with a balance of machines and free-weights. The pool is there but half the time was "under treatment" per signage. The buffet is adequate. If you like consistency, then this is the place as breakfast never changes. If you like variety, order (for extra charge) off the menu.

TIP: A local trick is to not provide a bill to you when you leave (ie: for dinner or drinks) but they remember you the next day and ask for cash, claiming they "cashed out" already and don't have the bill. Really they are trying to pocket the cash as they never rang up the tranaction to begin with. This game is not limited to this restaurant, but was attempted on me three times!

The rooms are decent. Again, stay miles away from the main stret side due to noise. OTOH, east side of hotel brings warm sun and it never really cools off in the rooms. My two requests for a fan went unfulfilled. They do offer small refrigerators, on request. Mosquito nets in each of the rooms, along with bottled water and safe. The showers...are unfortunate. Not a single day went by where I enjoyed waking up, largely because I had to endure poor quality showers, ranging from lack of hot water on some days to a shower head that sprayed half the water outside the tub. Really just unpleasant. WiFi was complimentary and worked well throughout the hotel.

The front desk staff really varied. There were a couple very pleasant people to work with who smiled and demonstrated a willingness to serve guests. Others were simply indifferent.

All that said, 3-stars are in order. This hotel offers many of the same things a 4+star hotel offers (internet, pool, gym, 24-hour room service, concierge, etc) but freqently offers these at a 2-3 star level. Plenty of room available for improvement here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Kingscliff, New South Wales, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed at the Merica for one night and after a long day of travel a mediocre lunch there and then a game drive at Lake Nakuru we were desperately craving a hot shower. The best we got was tepid - meaning not even remotely warm let alone a hot shower. Sat in the tub and washed the dust off then used the hand held shower very dam quickly. Room carpet was filthy - had to ask for pillow slips to put on the slabs they called pillows - 1 each of course to go with the slab they called a mattress. Worst night on our safari. It is obvious that no matter how many people complain there is no hot water - they choose not to do anything about it. Very, Very disappointing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Carol Stream, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I swear it looked like my door had been broken into. The rooms had a safe in them. Since I was only there for one night, i decided to forgo the use of the shower/bathtub. Lobby was nice, staff were kind, breakfast was well-prepared and included the kind and humorous egg chef guy.

Bar was well kept, but just like many places in the country, you have to do anything short of tackle the waiter to get his attention.

I think the pool was empty or under maintenance for cleaning. Regardless, something was wrong with it. But it was a nice patio by western standards.

If you aren't staying in some safari lodge and want to stay at a hotel in Nakuru, this is probably your safest bet.

It took way too long to get a receipt for my payment. were they out of paper? were they chatting idly thinking I was in no hurry? It remains a mystery, but it took like 10 minutes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Merica Hotel? Share your experiences!