“beach front, great beds, great people, great experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cabinas Sol y Mar

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa Zancudo
Cabinas Sol y Mar
You added Cabinas Sol y Mar to your Saves list
Middle of Town on the Only Road | Located in the central part of Zancudo's 6-mile beach, where the surf is gentle and safe for swimming and boogie boarding. The restaurant and all the cabins are RIGHT ON THE BEACHFRONT, catching refreshing afternoon breezes., Playa Zancudo 8201, Costa Rica   |
“beach front, great beds, great people, great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

This was the last place i stayed in on my 4 day solo mountain bike expedition. i was recommended by a friend of theirs. I really think they have something good going on here. the staff is all tico and they have worked there for a long time and seemed very knowledgeable when i asked about activities and the condition of the roads and how to go to other places. i biked from Golfito that same day so i was extremely tired! i loved their big bed in the simple room. its a simple room but it has a warm shower that's always good after a long day of biking. Loved the refrigerator in the room definitely an extra. good price also.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

my third time at sol y mar and it keeps getting better! the owners, rick and lori, do an excellent job running this place. it is unfair to call them the hosts, because all the staff at sol y mar are your hosts even the walter the groundskeeper, not just rick and lori. i was lucky enough to be there for rick and lori's 15th anniversary in zancudo, a much anticipated event in zancudo where they throw a party for everyone in zancudo with free food buffet style, it's their way of giving back to the community that has welcomed them. what a great example for other expats to follow! we stayed nearly a month and worked our way through nearly the whole menu and it was all good, i highly recommend the teriyaki kebabs on barbecue night and yoko's steak and eggs for breakfast.
stay at sol y mar and you will make friends! your hosts at sol y mar -
rick, lori, willy, karla, nuria, rosy, yoko, bal and walter run the best hotel in zancudo.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Puntarenas, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

Stayed here with my best friends and we had a blast! This place actually gave me the idea to move to CR! Rick and Lori are the coolest hosts and they make your stay at Sol Y Mar incredibly fun! They know the area, they know everyone, and whatever you want, if its possible they make it happen. It is rustic but that is the charm, you have your own beach bungalow in paradise and the place is not over run with high rise hotels and tackiness. The food, amazing! And incredibly fresh! The bar at night is so much fun with great music all the time! By far one of the best vacation spots for friends to get lost in paradise!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Fishers, iN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

I have stayed at this location for 4 out of the last six years. I have read the reviews. I love this place! Ok Rick and Lori are just a little off beat but they have have always provided a great stay. The cabins's are dated and rough, just what I'm looking for. The beach is outstanding, where else can you go during season and find only five people on the beach. The food is the best you will find in the area and prices can't be beat. Willy, Carla are always ready to help. If you are looking to be pampered or have someone jump when you request something.........go elsewhere so the rest of us can enjoy!!!

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Just_Get_Out_There, Owner at Cabinas Sol y Mar, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
All cabinas have been completely renovated.
Golfito,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

Playa Zancudo has to be one of the most beautiful beaches I've visited and walked... and I loved the laid back atmosphere of the small town and the people I met along the beach or along the street. However, as good a deal as Sol y Mar is (and it is), Lori, the owner's s/o has a lot to learn when it comes to hospitality and graciousness! I agree with an older review: if drinking, foul jokes, loud music and bar noise are not for you then Sol y Mar is not the place for you... and you wll be treated completely differently than the other revellers.... each to his own but it's sad when the only negative experience I've had in Costa Rica has been at the hands of an ex-pat!! But don't skip Zancudo - still one of my highlights in Costa Rica...
despite my unpleasant experience with the management I would still recommend this cabina for location +++ only... and Rick, the owner, seems like a nice guy...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Just_Get_Out_There, Owner at Cabinas Sol y Mar, responded to this review, March 4, 2011
I had no idea that this guest was dissatisfied. No complaints were made during 2 previous visits and a 3rd booking was made to return the following week, although that last reservation ended up as a no-show, and we were left with an unoccupied cabin for 3 nights.
I must have upset this former guest by chastising her over the phone when she dialed the wrong number some days after the dates booked. We are very adamant about our no cancellation/no change policy during the season, and this is always fully communicated at the time of booking. In this case, we had a verbal promise to honor the reservation. I received no notice of cancellation, and no messages were left.
The stereo at Sol y Mar is small, with small speakers, facing away from the cabins and we have the restaurant and 2 walls of the gift store between the bar and the cabins. The bar can be lively, with smiling, laughing people, and yes, the jokes might not measure up to the yacht-club's standard of good taste. This year, between Feb 5 and 14, we had 5 nights of live music (which this guest specifically booked to come and enjoy). Their country/Americana/folk music is mellow and not one guest has complained about the noise being a bother. The crowds at the restaurant/bar during this period may have given a distorted view of the amount of people we normally host on any given night.
I don't believe I have treated this nor any guest differently because they are not revelers. Owners have the right and responsibility to correct a guest if they are out of line, even though it may result in a vindictive review.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

Fantastic location in sleepy Zancudo where you look out at the sea from the porch of your cabin. Watch picture perfect sunsets from the lively bar (sports on TV and good live music once in a while) where your friendly hosts (Rick and Lori) and the lovely Karla will make you delicious cocktails or serve you ice-cold beer. Big tasty breakfasts, lunches and dinners - you won't want to eat anywhere else. However, there are several restaurants within easy walking distance along the main (dirt) road. Cabins are large with a sofa and table and a cute rock garden shower. Lori & Rick will help you organise taxis or whatever you need

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Bountiful, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

My wife and I (Mick & Jodie, we are in our mid 40's) spent several weeks in Zancudo in Feb of 2010, now missing that I couldn't go again this year. (Medical bills) This is a real review, I didn't know these guys before I went, just a recommendation from a friend, but I would like to know Rick and Lori for the rest of my life. The Sol Y Mar is the heart of Zancudo for us. Rick and Lori own and Willie and Karla run this hotel with the only real bar and excellent restaurant at the nice side of Zancudo. PROs 70 feet from the beach!, Cabinas are just a few steps from the bar and restaurant. FREE WiFI ! the signal is good! FOOD, the RIBS are to die for. they are about 15 inches lone and 3 are more than enough for me and I weight 275 lbs and stand 6'3". Cheap too, like 6 or 7 bucks for a lavish amount of excellent food. Same for the rest of the dishes, all excellent. The Cabinas are clean and neat with a private bathroom beds and fans which works out perfectly as you don't really need AC and if you want to watch TV (WHY?) you can watch the big TV at the open air cafe / Bar. I would love to go again and plan to as soon as we are well enough. You can rent a bike for 10 bucks a day or better yet get it by the week and its really cheap and its really nice to be able to peddle around the beach to and fro down to the city bakery or up to the pizza place. There is a country grocery store 5 min walk away but Sol Y mar will get you anything you need. CON ;Take plenty of US CASH (not big bills) as the nearest real ATM is at Gulfito or Puerto Jimenez and that is an hour away. and there is a surcharge for Credit Cards. We were there during HIGH season in Feb and yet you can walk the beaches passing only about 6 people an hour. THAT is priceless! Its in a protected gulf so its a really wonderful place. This IS the jungle so don't expect the 4 seasons and bugs are around but none to pesky if you mind what you do. While I was there, I think I spent about a total of 80 bucks a day for the two of us for all Food, Lodging,and my BAR TAB but not including the side trips up the river through the mangrove s kayaking or over to the Oca penisula to the wildlife preserve or the fishing trips (Great fishing) While were there a guy caught a 40 pounder Rooster fish right out of the surf!! no kidding!! they have pictures to prove it , I was stunned. My friend stayed in cabina 5 which is very cheap, 25 a day and it has a little fridge. We stayed in cabina 3 and it ran about 40, I think the nicest one is cabina 4 because its on the end by itself . They have a nice beach house on the property that I would like to rent, but it was booked up because its only about 700 a month! This is your private getaway with a good bunch of ex pats/ locals at the bar to drink with and swap stories Local Musicians and even bands from the states come to play at night. This is the best place I have ever been.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Cabinas Sol y Mar? Share your experiences!