Last year for our wedding, we received two Marriott vouchers – one was for a free night’s stay (with breakfast), the other was for a meal, which you could use for breakfast, lunch or dinner. We had a few choices but we decided to pick a hotel from the list where we could do both and extend the experience to another night, making the weekend of it. I have stayed in a few Marriotts before and much prefer the Hotel & Country Clubs as they are just that little bit extra special. Overall, this turned out to be a really great choice. We had a very pleasant stay and the experience was very enjoyable.
I always think customer service is appalling in the UK but here, they had it spot on. All staff were pleasant and polite, but not in an annoying or patronising way. Well done to this hotel for either recruiting the right kind of people or having excellent training! Was also surprised to find so many “local” people working here – nice to see.
We were able to check-in early which was nice and were given room 123. This is in the “courtyard” outside – a lovely location and away from the hustle and bustle of the main hotel buildings. We were very close to the bridal suite and a wedding was being held when we arrived. We also saw the Everton football team leaving. Parking was a bit of a nightmare but later on in the weekend, we managed to get parked next to the room which was a bonus. The hotel was quite busy on the Saturday, we assumed most were wedding guests. The room was small but very well appointed and good quality – I thought the bathroom was particularly outstanding. The room also had some nice touches like bath robes & slippers, free newspaper.
The location is great for easy access to the M60 or M62, being close to the motorways but not noisy at all. We visited the Trafford Centre complex a couple of times and also went down to Salford Quays.
The hotel bar is expensive, but all hotel bars are the same and I actually thought the prices were comparable with, say, going into a high-street pub and buying the same round. Although I have to say I thought nearly £4 for a bottle of water was a bit steep!
We used the meal voucher for dinner on the second night and took a Dinner-Bed-Breakfast rate for our first night – this gives you an “allowance” for the dinner which unfortunately didn’t cover what we wanted but we paid the extra and this was still cheaper than paying outright. The menu is small so I did struggle a little to spread the choices across the two nights. I have to admit I did like the “Sticky Toffee Pudding” dessert so had that on both nights. The service in the restaurant was excellent, as per the rest of the hotel. The dinner experience was very different across the two nights. The Saturday night was full to bursting, whereas on the Sunday we were one of only two tables sitting at 8pm!
The breakfast experience was again different on both days. There was plenty of choice and overall, the food was excellent. The Sunday was extremely busy but on the Monday, we were the only people eating! You could put this down to wedding guests. We had our wedding at a hotel so we know what it’s like!
We had a dip in the pool – you can use the leisure facilities at the hotel for free when staying. This was a nice large pool I thought with spa pool, sauna, etc. We also had a drink in the Sports bar, which was a little better than a typical bar of this type. We had full intentions of my wife using the beauty salon and me playing some golf (a small part of the reason we booked here) but neither of these came off. The salon had no availability for the Sunday, plus my wife didn’t like the treatments they had on offer and I found it strange that the pro golf tutor doesn’t work at the hotel on Sundays or Mondays. Surely weekends would be their biggest income-generator!
This was a nice relaxing break for our wedding anniversary which we thoroughly enjoyed and I can highly recommend staying here. You do pay a little more at places like this but the extra cost gives you the extra quality – you get what you pay for!
- Also Known As:
- Worsley Park, a Marriott Hotel And Country Club
- Marriott Worsley
- Worsley Park Marriott Hotel Country
- Worsley Marriott
- Worsley Park, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club Greater Manchester
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A vision of Victorian country elegance, this 200-acre former home of the Duke of Bridgewater is now site of Worsley Park, a Marriott Hotel & Country Club Manchester featuring 18 hole championship golf course in the city of Manchester. For business travelers, pleasure seekers or meeting planners, this luxury hotel in Manchester offers the elements for success. Spacious, well appointed guest rooms cradle you in comfort and are wired for high-speed Internet access. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Marriott, Travelocity, Tingo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Worsley Park, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.