“Beautiful and Relaxing” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Kallithea
Wirral
“Beautiful and Relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed here for 7 nights on an all-inclusive deal, after a lot of deliberation. I came across this place as it was offered on a daily voucher deal (e.g. Groupon, Living Social, can't remember which), with a very good price for a suite with private pool, but I let a few negative reviews put me off. After much searching for other places on Rhodes I started to regret having dismissed it and eventually booked a standard room without an offer.

I don't pretend to know what 'real' 5-start quality is like, having never stayed in a Hilton or Savoy, but this place certainly tries very hard to be luxurious, and, for the most part, succeeds. The location, right on the coast, is beautiful, the whole hotel is spotlessly clean, and most communal areas, such as the lobby, have a touch of elegance and style about them.

The drink offering for the all-inclusive deal was pretty good, with a decent selection. The food was less impressive, and didn't vary much. It was always appetising and was satisfactory, but never more than that, after a few days with little variation in the choice on offer, it did get a bit boring. But that's a minor gripe. The outdoor area of the dining room is lovely, especially at breakfast time.

The exception is the food available in the Greek and Italian themed restaurants. Lots of people here seem to think the Italian meal is much better than the Greek, but we didn't think so. The Greek food was hearty, meaty and delicious and I'd recommend it. The Italian restaurant was pretentious and slightly amusing in its attempts to be Italian and 'posh', and the food wasn't really special.

We were glad we hadn't paid extra for a private pool. They're only really private in the sense that their guests have exclusive use of them. Everybody can see them as they walk around the complex, and they're not very big. They look nice enough, but during our whole week we didn't see a single person in their private pool, and we didn't wish that we had one for a moment. The main swimming pools are large, clean and fairly warm, and they served us just fine.

Our room was only a standard, but it was huge, with a lovely bathroom, large double bed (or, to be exact, two large singles pushed together), sofa, coffee table, fridge, TV (hardly any channels) and terrace with a gorgeous view. There was a shower over the bath which was hot and powerful, and the bath itself was of the 'jaccuzzi' variety, with jets to create lots of relaxing bubbles.

Although the hotel does have a private beach, in reality this is very small, and rocks separate the sand from the sea. You couldn't really enter the water from the beach, unless you wanted to jump off the rocks into what looked like pretty deep water. Still, it was a pleasant enough place to sit.

We visited Rhodes old town one day and had a lovely time, although the crowds were pretty bad until the cruise ships left at around 4pm. It's about half an hour away on the bus, which is very cheap, and no doubt less time by taxi. We also visited the nearby waterpark, which was all but deserted in mid-May, and had a great time. It, too, is only a short taxi ride away.

All in all, without offering anything especially stunning, the Kresten Royal Villas and Spa was a lovely, quiet, relaxing place to stay, with friendly staff, clean, attractive surroundings, adequate food and drink on the all-inclusive menu and lots of nearby places to visit. If you've read my review as being negative then I haven't expressed myself properly. I'd recommend this hotel to friends, as long as they weren't accustomed to unashamed luxury.

Room Tip: No need to get taxis into Rhodes old town, the bus from the main road just next to the turn-off for...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We have just returned from a 7 day break at The Kresten Royal Villas and Spa in Rhodes:

We chose "all inclusive" as we wanted a complete break and everything done for us!

This is a first class resort Hotel.

A beautiful location overlooking the Aegean sea on the East Coast of Rhodes Island.

There is a constant breeze which makes for natural air conditioning when by the pool. The ocean was always calm during our stay and the hotel has a lovely natural beach which is easily accessed from the large pool complex. One point here, the pool is always on the chilly side in fact the ocean is significantly warmer! Why the Hotel does not put some solar panels to take off the chill is somewhat hard to fathom? All of the pools have this same issue, once in they are fine but the initial chill is unnecessary, even some ex Israeli soldiers found it hard to brave the initial chill!

This is a vast resort with everything you could wish for. The Spa afforded us a very good massage in good surroundings, much enjoyed. The Hotel was clearly designed when money was plentiful for these projects. In my view the architects where given much too larger budget! Everything is overly big, Gentlemen's toilettes, the size of a small car park, are over designed and under used and every public toilet is the same. nevertheless, this grandiose is to your benefit, I'm grateful I didn't agree the funding for this largess!

The food was always plentiful and on hand, you will not go hungry here! The bars are plentiful and in spite of the "all inclusive tag", we never saw anyone misbehaving or drunk.

I must mention the staff: Without doubt the most helpful, willing and the most courteous complement of staff I have ever come across in all of my travels. From the time of check in to the time of departure, they were all terrific. Never have I met such a friendly bunch of people.

We had a Junior suite and this was the best choice. I looked at the Rooms with private pools, which on our package were another £1200.00 per week more. The private pools, seem to me to be a waste of time and money. The Pools for the Hotel are so big they are tidal and the private pools offer very little privacy as they are all cheek by jowl with each other - my tip go for a junior suite, good value and nice a quiet.

To sum up; a great holiday and lovely resort. There is no doubt that these guys want your business and make every effort to get it. Rhodes relies on tourism and they want us to go back. You will not be disappointed. We went with Classic Collection and they could not have done more for us. The Rep. Spiros was fantastic always helpful and he arranged the best Scuba trip for me. This really was that good.

Room Tip: Go for the Junior Suite, its the best value
Gan Yavne, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

After enjoying a week (25.9 31.10) I feel that leaving a good review is a must.
The crew was kind and nice, let's remember that they work lots of hours during the season, and they are allways ready to attend the guests needs with a smile.
Plenty of drinks, no need to wait more that a couple of minutes to be served.
Excellent food, same quality that the restaurants in town.

The taxi for 4 persons is cheaper that the bus, try to share it with an other couple.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My Husband and I have just returned from an 11 night stay at this lovely hotel. After reading some of the negative reviews we arrived with an open mind but after being taken to our room we were pleasantly surprised. We stayed in room 911 which was very quiet, had a fantastic view and is highly recommended Food in the main restaurant was always excellent, plenty of choice and very well presented The hotel, at this time of year, was only half full so there were always plenty of sunbeds at both pools which was nice meaning you didnt have to get up at the crack of dawn to bag your bed!!!!! We loved the relaxed feel to this hotel and felt under no pressure to do anything. Staff are wonderful, work so hard and nothing is too much trouble for them Entertainment is pretty non-existant but this didnt bother us too much as we got a taxi and went out most evenings. I really only have one small negative to say which is this hotel could do with some extra lighting along the approach road, as we returned on a couple of occasions at night from Rhodes Town and the walk down to the Hotel was very dark and really quite dangerous. I certainly wouldnt want to walk it on my own!!!! Please dont be put off by any negative reviews as this is a super hotel, very relaxed, very clean and very well run. This was our first time on the beautiful island of Rhodes and staying at the Kresten Royal was the icing on the cake!! Would we recommend and return. Yes definately.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 911. Excellent, Close to everything and fantastic view
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

to make a very long story short :

1. very poor service,rude and lazy staff the worst I have ever seen from a 5 star hotel .(Iv e been in 56 countries)
2. poor quality of food
3. 0 activities for children /adults
4. freezing pools
5. watered up cocktails and beverages
On the up side :
1. very nice room with balcony and small garden (only after we have moved twice!)
2. beautiful pools.

Don't book there are so many option in similar prize ! La marquise, platinum illusiom etc.

• Stayed September 2012
Cleobury Mortimer, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stunning location, staff very friendly,efficient and helpful.Fabulous views and surroundings - a touch of real class and luxury! 3 restaurants and several bars- including poolside, ensured plenty of choice and variety.
Food was all one should expect from a 5* experience.
Fabulous views from the sun terraces and poolside.Spa facilities put the "icing on the cake".
Easy access to Rhodes town via excellent transport links.
"All inclusive" package highly recommended , can't wait to go again.

Room Tip: Well worth paying a bit extra for a suite with sea view.
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We have just returned from a 7 night stay at the Kresten Royal where a group of 18 of us stayed to witness and celebrate our daughters wedding which was held at the nearby stunning Kalithea Springs.

My Daughter and my Son In Law arrived a week previous and were instantly upgraded to a Junior Suite with private swimming pool and for that they were truly grateful. I had previously arranged with the Hotel Management for them to hold the wedding reception in their Teatro Italian restaurant and I cannot tell you what a fantastic job they did for us. They arranged for the chairs and the table to be decorated and gave us our own dedicated serving staff for the whole evening. They liased with us with regard to the menu and the Food and Beverage Manager personally selected the right wines for us to go with our meal including the sparkling Rose for the toast. I was so impressed with how hard they had worked to make my daughters day so special.

The next morning, they even arranged a table of 20 on the terrace so that the whole wedding party could share breakfast together to reflect on the day before.

So, If you are looking to get married in Rhodes and want a hotel that is affordable and yet offers an exceptional service then I definitely recommend the Kresten Royal Villas and Spa.

They arranged for the hair and beauty treatments (nails and makeup etc) for all the girls on the wedding day, they arranged transport to and from Kalithea Springs for the wedding guests and without the management and staff of the Kresten Royal I do not how we would have managed to arrange such a smooth day so a big hats off to them and also the staff at Olympic.

As for the hotel itself as a holiday destination I would say for an All Inclusive resort it is very very good.

The rooms are lovely. Very spacious and all of the sea view rooms had huge balconies or Terraces. The bathrooms were excellent and had Jacuzzi baths and there was never a shortage of hot water. My only slight gripe was that I personally didn't find the matresses and Duvets to my liking but nobody else seemed to have any complaints so perhaps it is just me.

We enjoyed breakfast but then we generally had fruit and yogurt or toast and marmalade. There certainly was a huge selection for breakfast.

Lunch: We usually ate this at the restaurant by the bottom salt water pool and there was always plenty of choices available there including salads, pastas, chicken, fish, cheeses, breads etc.

Dinner: We ate at the Teatro which we thought was excellent. Not sure how anyone can dispute the service or food quality in there unless they are very plain eaters perhaps and find it too "fancy" for them. We ate out quite a lot at night in Old Rhodes Town just for a change of scenery and the buzzy atmosphere down there but we also had buffet meals in the main restaurant on two nights. On both occasions we found the food to be very nice and a huge selection. Our favourite night was the Monday night which was when they have a Chinese theme. Everyone in our group thought it was excellent.

Drinks: To be honest as with any All Inc, a bit hit and miss. I personally didn't enjoy the beer. The wine was ok and certainly drinkable. Some of the Cocktails were very good and the "Sidecar" seemed a crowd pleaser. I personally enjoy a vodka and tonic but didn't think much of the tonic water so eventually moved onto vodka and diet pepsi but the diet pepsi mix was a bit up and down to be honest. Eventually decided to go with Vodka and Cranberry juice as that was straight from the carton. Overall though the drinks were pretty good but as I say a bit hit and miss if mixed with a soda such as pepsi or lemonade.

I cannot speak any highly of the management and staff of this hotel. I do not dispute that some people may indeed have cause for complaint but then some people love to moan and complain. I met some pretty awful people there who were clearly professional moaners and complainers and moaned like hell about the food and drink but then I was forever finding these people filling their plates in the restaurants and staggering to their beds at the end of the night from the bar so what does that tell you ?

Please don't let that last paragraph make you think that this hotel is the sort that is full of typical "Brits Abroad" as that certainly is not the case. The majority of people at the hotel were lovely and friendly and from many parts of Europe and I would say 95% of the people we met and spoke with were very impressed with the hotel and rightly so.

Finally, I have given this hotel 5/5 because of my experience, but I would agree that it is not a true 5 star hotel. That, in my opinion, is purely to a few things lacking such as a waiter service for drinks at the pool and in other bars and perhaps it would also benefit from maybe a piano and singer for the evenings in the lobby/lounge bar. There was always music being played or a singer or saxophonist on the roof terrace by the lobby bar of an evening so I don't know where this "No Entertainment" nonsense comes from by the way.

Well done Vassilis and your team. You have a lovely hotel that you are rightly proud of and that you work tirelessly for.

RECOMMENDED

Room Tip: If you can afford and want a special trip upgrade to a Junior Suite with pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Kresten Royal Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!