Just returned from our second fantastic family holiday at Gwel an Mor. We originally booked for 4 nights but stayed on an extra night as we were enjoying ourselves so much. The lodges are very large with plenty or room for us and 3 children, and very well equipped. The balcony had a fantastic view of the sea, and we went for a VIP lodge so had a nice hot-tub and wood burner.
There is plenty of space within the estate for the kids to safely play, and the pool and health club are of a very high quality. We went on 2 hour evening wildlife walk (which turned into 3 hours) and learnt a lot from the very enthusiastic guide, and got to hand feed tame foxes and meet a fox cub. Thoroughly recommended. All the staff are very friendly and helpful.
The village of Portreath is a lovely 10 minute walk through the farm and woodland path (15 minutes uphill back), with an excellent beach and a couple of nice pubs and a few small shops. The location is well situated to explore the south and west of Cornwall but most of the major attractions can be reached within an hour by car. The kids hardly touched their 'i-gadgets' all week which is exactly what we wanted from a family holiday!
Like other reviewers have said we rarely stay in the same place twice as there is so much to explore, but we will definitely be back at Gwel an Mor soon and use it as a base to continue to explore Cornwall.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gwel an Mor is Cornish for "View of the Sea." We are a 5 Star luxury self catering holiday resort which sits high on hills above the Atlantic Ocean in Cornwall.Our grand Scandinavian style holiday lodges blend beautifully into landscaped gardens and the surrounding countryside. Truly inviting with a relaxed but luxury style, the two and three bedroom lodges have everything you may need – down to the hot tub on your private terrace and log burner in the living area. Alongside the traditional wooden lodges, we also offer the contemporary style of the Residence. Launched in 2012, these exclusive eco lodges provide the ultimate in high-end holiday accommodation, complete with underfloor heating, mood lighting, DVD and music players and WiFi. You'll even find a plasma TV in the bathroom. Our Clubhouse boasts a fully equipped gym, indoor pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna while outside there is a children’s play area, tennis courts and a putting and croquet lawn.For more grown-up indulgences, The Wellbeing Spa offers an extensive menu of pampering facial, body and cosmetic treatments designed to relax, revitalise and rejuvenate you using marine inspired products. With a great reputation amongst visitors and locals, the Terrace Restaurant at Gwel an Mor is an informal bistro style venue with a locally sourced, innovative menu. With an emphasis on using the best seasonal ingredients the Southwest has to offer, the Terrace even offers a take away service so you can indulge in the comfort of your lodge. One of the truly unique aspects to a stay with us is the chance to meet some of the local wildlife. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LateRooms so you can book your Gwel an Mor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gwel An Mor 5 Star Holiday Hotel Portreath
- Gwel An Mor Portreath, Cornwall