We stayed at Gwel an Mor over new year. Firstly the good points....the lodge was very clean and had everything you could need. hot chocolate and biscuits, which were a nice touch. Beds very comfy, lovely views. we used the pool, which was fabulous, my husband had a back massage whilst we were there which he said was brilliant. couldnt fault the lodge or facilties.
now for the bad points... we ( stupidly) arrived at 11am ( check in is 4pm) after a 6 hour drive with our 4 month old baby. we were told we couldnt check in as the lodge was not ready..fair enough, it was our mistake but when 3.30pm came, after hours of waiting in the car, we went to see if we could check in, we couldnt, however other people who had just arrived were being checked in and taken to their lodges. hmmmm? we were then told our lodge was last to have been cleaned and we could check in at 4pm. We also asked on arrival if other lodges were available for us to go to, because of having a small baby, we were told no, as they were fully booked, however we later realised two lodges by ours were empty. could they have not cleaned ours first seeing as we were there so early and others hadnt arrived yet? I felt that we were almost being punished for our mistake. The man on reception was alittle cocky and theres also a huge video above your head in reception of him jumping in the air holding his groin area. bizarre. It was a long day with our 4 month old and alittle understanding and help would have been greatly appreciated.
also...The food was really nice but we received incorrect meals twice. hey ho, we still enjoyed the food. Have to say, we enjoyed our stay but it didnt get off to a good start. We gave Gwel an Mor a go after staying at The Valley last year. I think we will be going back to The Valley as we did prefer it.
It may matter to some...but Portreath isnt that nice,
- Also Known As:
- Gwel An Mor 5 Star Holiday Hotel Portreath
- Gwel An Mor 5 Star Holiday Hotel
- Gwel An Mor Portreath, Cornwall
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gwel an Mor is Cornish for "View of the Sea." We are a 5 Star luxury self catering holiday resort which sits high on hills above the Atlantic Ocean in Cornwall.Our grand Scandinavian style holiday lodges blend beautifully into landscaped gardens and the surrounding countryside. Truly inviting with a relaxed but luxury style, the two and three bedroom lodges have everything you may need – down to the hot tub on your private terrace and log burner in the living area. Alongside the traditional wooden lodges, we also offer the contemporary style of the Residence. Launched in 2012, these exclusive eco lodges provide the ultimate in high-end holiday accommodation, complete with underfloor heating, mood lighting, DVD and music players and WiFi. You'll even find a plasma TV in the bathroom. Our Clubhouse boasts a fully equipped gym, indoor pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna while outside there is a children’s play area, tennis courts and a putting and croquet lawn.For more grown-up indulgences, The Wellbeing Spa offers an extensive menu of pampering facial, body and cosmetic treatments designed to relax, revitalise and rejuvenate you using marine inspired products. With a great reputation amongst visitors and locals, the Terrace Restaurant at Gwel an Mor is an informal bistro style venue with a locally sourced, innovative menu. With an emphasis on using the best seasonal ingredients the Southwest has to offer, the Terrace even offers a take away service so you can indulge in the comfort of your lodge. One of the truly unique aspects to a stay with us is the chance to meet some of the local wildlife. ... more less