“A room with a view” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Copper House - Portreath

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Portreath
The Copper House - Portreath
Primrose Terrace, Portreath TR16 4JS, England   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Portreath B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brighton, United Kingdom
“A room with a view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We've just returned from 3 nights at The Copper House. What can I say that hasn't already been said about this amazing place? From the moment we arrived to a friendly welcome from Linda with a cup of tea and a freshly made, wonderfully decorated cake, we felt completely at home. We stayed in Room 1 which is beautifully decorated with a designer's eye and has every thing you could ask for and more. The bed is supremely comfortable with crisp linens and cozy eider duvet. The bathroom has the deepest bath I've ever sat in with a rainfall shower head. There are quality toiletries and an abundance of towels. Linda and Andy are great hosts who display the right mix of discretion and friendliness. The breakfasts are delivered to your room at a time of your choosing, to be eaten at your leisure. The menu has a good variety of choices and it was all beautifully cooked and presented. The Copper House special is something I am stealing. The room is well equipped with hair dryer, mini fridge (which is stocked with complimentary goodies) and a biscuit barrell filled with home made biscuits that gets replenished daily. It's nice to see filter coffee and there is fresh milk in the fridge.

The house has underfloor heating and it is absolutely seamless. It is not too hot or cold. It's just an even temperature everywhere. And the quiet. It is so quiet that you hear the silence! I sat outside in the dark on a warm evening on the enormous private terrace and it was magic. I could hear a stream somewhere and that was all. Blissful silence. And the stars! This is a special place. A place of quiet and calm and tranquillity. The views are a mix of wild woods and garden with raised veg beds already full of growing produce.

This is not an olde worlde b &b. This is a bang up to date contemporary house that works. If you love design, eco principles, friendly but unobtrusive hosts and seclusion then this is definitely right up your street! Most of all I am just amazed they built every square inch themselves. Two people, with no help, over several years. It's taken me three months to get round to revamping the bedroom. I echo what a previous reviewer said - this is a destination and one I hope to revisit it again very soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda G, Owner at The Copper House - Portreath, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Sue and Steve,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay here and appreciated the house, room and the breakfasts. We are always striving to do our best and it is lovely to see that our guests appreciate it and have a good time while they are here.
I don't think the heating was on. The Copper House is very highly insulated (about 3 times more than most new houses) and it retains the heat well. If it is a bit chilly, just cooking a breakfast or two usually heats the whole house up. Body heat contributes too. When both rooms are occupied, no extra heat is needed at all. Our heating/insulatiion design works better than we envisaged. In winter, when it is very cold, we put the underfloor heating on at a very low temperature and it keeps the house extremely warm. Mostly, in winter, we use the log burning stove as we have a constant supply of free logs from our wood behind us.
All our guests comment on how peaceful and quiet it is here. At night there is no noise at all. During the day you might hear a couple of horses trotting down the path or children walking through the woods from Illogan to visit the beach. The scenery from the terraces is ever changing according to the seasons but each change is as beautiful as the last one. The wildlife is all around us and it is not uncommon to see foxes, badgers and buzzards. They are always extremely interested in our chickens!
It is very sheltered here and that is why I have such an abundance of vegetables already. Guests have been eating home grown rocket, herbs and rhubarb (with the porridge) for some time and soon there should be home grown tomatoes too.
Once again, I am very happy you enjoyed your stay here and found the house comfortable and us welcoming. We enjoyed having you and answering your queries about the house build. Please visit again when you are in the area and I hope, by that time, we will have done some more work on the woodland walks.
Kind regards,
Linda

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

WOW is the only way to describe The Copper House it truly is an amazing place everything about The Copper House starting with Linda and Andys very very warm welcome and the freshly baked cream tea on arrival to the delicious breakfasts especially The Copper House special is first class? The room was very spacious spotlessly clean with fantastic decor the massive bed was unbelievably comfortable. Linda was a fantastic hostess and we have no hesitation in recommending The Copper House to our friends.
Roy and Brenda Morgans

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Linda G, Owner at The Copper House - Portreath, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Hi Brenda and Roy
Thank you so much for all your kind words. We really appreciate it and the time and effort it takes to write a review. I am so glad you enjoyed your time here and you enjoyed all the facilities at The Copper House. The Copper House special, for breakfast, has proved very popular with our guests and I think it is the combination of delicious peppery home-grown rocket with chilli oil and the creamy goodness of our own chickens eggs on top of salty pancetta. My daughter and I developed the recipe on a rainy Sunday and I should really call it Jess's special. We loved it and knew immediately it was a winning combination
The bed is top of the range and because it is a superking it is really comfortable and roomy. I think everyone has loved it, even people with bad backs, and wanted to know what make of mattress it is. All I can say is it has cashmere and wool in its composition
Thank you so much for saying you would have no hesitation in recommending us to your friends. That is about as good as it gets. I hope we see you again too because you were both lovely and entertaining guests.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Spent 4 glorious days at the Copper House and was looked after by the lovely Linda and Andy.
The Coopper House is a place to stay when you need to get away from life's hetic pace. The facilities are 1st class and the fact you do not to have to get dressed to have breakfast is absoloutely marvellous. Our accommodation had a beautiful balcony that looks over the garden and down into the valley. Spent the evenings sipping a glass of wine and eating the chocolates that was left in the fridge by our hosts. You can also see the stars at night and if your lucky you will spot shooting stars. The selection of breakfasts on offer is excellent so if you are watching your weight or not this is the place to go as the food is sourced locally and is freshly cooked for you and the jams are homemade by Linda. I would definately recommend the Coppper House as a B&B for comfort, style, tasty food and two lovely hosts Linda and Andy

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Hi Catherine,
I am so pleased that you managed to relax and enjoy your stay here. I know you were in need of some r&r and I am very happy you found that here at The Copper House. The night view here is as good as the day view. There are no distracting street lights and when you look up into the sky it is almost dizzying. The stars are amazing to view and we have had guests, on a warm summer's night, lay on the deck and just gaze upwards. They always report seeing at least one shooting star.As if sitting and sipping wine out of the fridge and smelling the honeysuckle in the evening was not pleasure enough, the stars and moon over the valley are icing on the cake.
As for breakfasts, I do make my own jams, marmalades, bread and butter. Hopefully sausages too soon. Anything I can't make, I source locally or grow. Trevaskis is our supplier of sausages (and they really are delicious) and Trotters our supplier of bacon. Rocket, herbs, tomatoes and eggs are from the garden and chickens respectively. We are lucky because we are very sheltered here and I have been growing lettuce and rocket all winter. I do hope we see you again and you were a pleasure to have as a guest, as was your friend. Best wishes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed for the third time at the Copper House for two nights as I was travelling in Cornwall on business. Linda and Andy were warm and welcoming and greeted me with freshly made cake and biscuits, coffee and tea. I wanted most to sink into the now familiar deep bath and then wrap myself in the warm towling dressing gown and sit on the terrace watching the sun go down to the sound of the birds.

I highly recommed the Copper House to anyone who loves nature and good design: if you enjoy walking, stop there for the night to rest. If you enjoy swimming in the sea, stay at the Copper House and enjoy the ten-minute walk down a quiet road to get there. If you like the idea of staying in a house as ecologically sound as you're likely to get, book a night or two, you won't regret it. There's something about that place ...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hi Amanda,
How kind of you to write another review. I am so pleased your stay was as good the second time round and it is very flattering that you revisited The Copper House. You had good weather and it is wonderful just to sit outside and see all the bees and butterflies everywhere now that the garden is maturing. A very relaxing view I think and one that just can't help but make you feel tranquil. I think we probably have one of the deepest double ended baths in these parts and I'm glad you took advantage of it this time. Perhaps not as ecologically sound as a shower but the water is heated by the air source heat pump and hopefully, soon, the solar panels. So not too bad. You're right - there is something about this place and people seem to fall in love with it. I am glad the surroundings have worked their magic on you too! See you again soon
Llantwit Major, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The Copper House was perfect! Linda and Andy made our weekend stay so easy and relaxing.You will be hard pushed to find somewhere that offers such a friendly and personal touch to your stay as they do. From Linda's Homemade dairy free treats in the room (made especially for my wife) on our arrival to the gorgeous breakfast out on the balcony in the sun. They went out of their way to look after us. If we are ever in the area again we will definitely stay there! The homemade marmalade is also a must!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1 which was a good size with sitting areas and a top view from the balcony over th...

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Linda G, Owner at The Copper House - Portreath, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hi there,
Thank you for saying The Copper House was perfect and I am so pleased you chose to stay here for your 1st anniversary. I hope you will have lovely memories of that special occasion. It was absolutely delightful having you both here because you were both so lovely. You had such perfect weather too! That meant you could have breakfast out on the terrace and that's always a bonus. Dairy free products were no problem and I hope Clara enjoyed her specially designed Copper House Special. I've tried that myself since and it's good. As for the marmalade, I only have 3 pots left and I made 40! They have been rather popular. All my best wishes go to you both for the 'imminent event' and I will be thinking of you. We do hope we will see you again, although we appreciate you might be very busy in the next few years! It was an absolute pleasure meeting you both. Linda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Spent a glorious night (and regretted we couldn't stay longer) at The Copper House whilst walking the Coastal Path. The house is beautiful and comfortable – and the bedroom terrace overlooking the ample and creative garden was the icing on the cake!
Linda was a wonderful host – welcoming and very helpful about the area. And the breakfast she cooked and served up in our room (substantial and delicious full breakfast, complete with homemade bread and jam) made us feel very spoilt and looked after!
She also came to the rescue with sewing kit and safety pins in an emergency!
The B&B is a gem – an eco lodge tastefully designed (lots of Orla Keilly crockery and linens) – it's an intimate place with only a couple of guest rooms, but the rooms are large and luxurious, offering state of the art bathroom facilities, and one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in outside my own.
We're already planning our next visit…

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda G, Owner at The Copper House - Portreath, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your very kind review. It is wonderful for us when people say they love the house and say it is both comfortable and aesthetically pleasing. Sometimes, Andy & I lose sight of what we have achieved and only remember the struggle and effort it took to achieve it. It makes it all worthwhile when a guest appreciates it and says it is beautiful. I know the views are beautiful and I hope we blend into the surroundings, rather than overwhelm them..
I'm so pleased you enjoyed the breakfasts and I think it is important for all our guests, but perhaps especially our walkers, to have a good breakfast with quality ingredients, locally sourced or home-made.
I hope you enjoyed the rest of your walk and it was an absolute pleasure to have you as guests. I do hope we see you another time and I look forward to it.
Linda
Oswestry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Just spent a really relaxing week at The Copper House with Linda & Andy looking after us.
We were really impressed with our room and the comfort it provided and a secluded woodland view from our patio doors.Everyday we had a lovely breakfast served in our room and nothing was too much trouble for Linda as she even provided dairy free products for my partner.
This is one of the best places we have stayed in, it is run efficiently yet with a lovely homely relaxed atmosphere.We were spoilt.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda G, Owner at The Copper House - Portreath, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Hi Kath & Jim
I so enjoyed having you stay and loved chatting to you both. I'm very pleased you enjoyed your break here even though the weather wasn't always wonderful. It's gratifying that you say you felt at home here and were very comfortable in your room (room 2). I know I have said it before, in answer to other reviews, but the outlook here is very special and the peace and tranquillity contributes to the feeling of seclusion and luxury. Yet, we are only a few minutes walk from the beach and village and all the fantastic walks round here.
It was a pleasure to get Jim's non-dairy items and no bother at all. In fact, I discovered that soya instead of olive oil made the most fabulously risen bread! I think you tried all the breakfast selections whilst you were here and, like many other guests, the Copper House Special became a favourite and I know Jim approved of my porridge.
I know you are a long way away but I would like to think you will visit again some day and we will sit and have a gin and tonic together in the sun (!) on the terrace.

Been to The Copper House - Portreath? Share your experiences!