“Tapas - a pleasant way to spend the evening” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Gravesend, United Kingdom
“Tapas - a pleasant way to spend the evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

A former pub now turned into a restaurant, although it still retains the bar so you could sit at the bar with a drink before eating if you wish. Comfortable seating in roomy surroundings, although main bar area is more atmospheric (there is another room to one side).

They have a ‘Tapas Night’ every Tuesday, and we went for this, although a curtailed version of the main menu is also available (so that you could have tapas to start and then a main dish if preferred).

The tapas menu on their website lists 23 tapas dishes, although presumably this is a list of all dishes that can be offered over a period, as the menu on the night listed fifteen different tapas (4 fish, 6 meat and 5 vegetable). All cost around about the £5 mark. Sod’s Law that most of those I fancied from the website menu were not listed! However, all that we had were plentiful, well cooked and tasty.

One thing to bear in mind is that the tapas are sizeable portions, more like the small meals that are a more recent development of tapas in Spain rather than the original concept of a more basic snacks that can be eaten as bar food with fingers or a fork. Some didn’t fit the tapas mould at all (for example, ham and chicken soup), so it could be regarded as a comprehensive list of starters.

As they are substantial, the menu recommendation of 3 or 4 dishes per person is a bit ambitious unless you are hungry or have a big appetite. We had five dishes between two of us (two and then a further three a little later) and that was ample.

The service on this occasion could have been better. Although I ordered drinks when we arrived, and these were soon served, it was half an hour before the waitress appeared with the menu. As it happened it suited us as we were planning a long extended evening over intermittent tapas, but a couple who came in after us sat for 25 minutes without being offered a drink, given a menu or seeing any sign of the waitress, despite trying to attract her attention over the last five minutes. They got up and left. It seemed that it was ‘out of sight, out of mind’ for the three tables in the recess near the toilets as we could see the waitress serving other tables but she never seemed to look in our direction. Maybe they were a member of staff down on the night, as we have never had a problem with service before – but then we have never sat in that recess before.

However, we had a very enjoyable evening chatting over a drink and intermittent plates of tasty tapas, and I recommend it for a pleasant and more relaxed way of dining.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous venue for a private function”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I just want to say how amazing Olly and all of his staff are. I held my 40th birthday party there on Sunday and i have to say it was faultless. The food was amazing and I am still receiving comments from my guests saying just that. Nothing was too much for them, they were all very attentive and professional. If anyone is looking for a classy place to hold a function then look no further the Kings Arms has it all.. Thank you for making Sunday a night to remember!!!

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
“Just one word: FABULOUS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I've been visiting Kent and got the chance to drive by King's Arms Restaurant. I was attracted by the look of that place lovely decorated and its fireplace. I had a traditional Sunday lunch: Local topside of roast beef, Yorkshire pudding and vegetables. It was the best beef I ever had, absolutely lovely. Plus the great service and the fantastic desert. Now I have to get back in UK to relive the experience. A must see, or eat place.

West Malling, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Food & Great Service!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We have been to the Kings Arms a few times in the last couple of months as it is very local to us. We have never been disappointed the food is always lovely, the staff & management very accommodating & we feel that it is excellent value for money.
We have been for lunch & dinner just the two of us & also as a family & on all occasions we have had a lovely time & great food. The staff have always been very good with our 4 year old son who isn't always the best behaved child!!
I would thoroughly recommend the Kings Arms if you want a lovely meal, good service & great value for money. Fabulous!!!

Kent England
“A good evening”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Went with the same friends who complained about the quality of the food at the Rat Pack evening. Contrary to what they wrote, my prawns were exceptionally tasty, I had the same cut of steak as the one that was returned, and enjoyed every mouthfull.
I felt the evening was enjoyable, and a good atmosphere, I would return again.