“Good New Restraunt” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Good New Restraunt”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

went for first time to L'Angolino and was really pleased with the quality of food. Really enjoyed it and will definitely be back. Bruschetta to start was beautiful and everything was of a high standard. Staff were friendly and atmosphere was good.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

94% Recommend
dunblane
“not for me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Went to this restaurant at the weekend ...very small and cramped the restaurant was nice to look at in side but from the outsaid looks more like Tea and sandwich shop . food was average meat balls to fatty ,but the Guy in the shorts and black socks cooking was to much, put me off from going back , shame really .

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Gerry C, Owner at L'Angolino, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
I just wanted to correct one small, but important, detail in your review. The socks I was wearing were dark blue. I would never wear black socks with a dark blue polo shirt and a blue and white chef's apron.

Kind regards

Edinburgh
“A nice Italian. Attention to detail and some non detail required!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I've been to this restaurant twice now. Both times I've walked away thinking, I enjoyed that but a shame about.....So here are the couple of things I feel need to be addressed.

I don't think I'm being over critical, but when you are served a starter that has under ripe avocado, and it was noticed by the chef prior to serving (chef in shorts) it simply should not be served! So when we were asked by the chef in shorts if we enjoyed the meal, and much as we would like to have said "everything was fantastic", it wasn't! So, we explained to the chef (in shorts) about the under ripe avocado in the starter. The chef agreed and said he had noticed they were hard and that they would have to find something else to put on the menu. Now, I can expect a junior to make such a mistake, but not a chef. It simply should not have been on the menu!

My second trip was some weeks later, with a few friends and although it was nice there were a couple of basic mistakes, which I just don't expect when chef/s are involved. The brushetta was soft, I think it was prepared in advance and if it wasn't I really don't know why it was soggy!

Muscles seriously over cooked, to the point they were left on the plate. My partner has eaten muscles on many occasions and never had them quite so over cooked, unforetunately this was the "treat to meal" night so very difficult to complain when someone else is buying! No questions from any staff regards why this dish was almost untouched! I simply don't understand when a dish comes back almost untouched why there wouldn't be questions, was there something wrong Madame/Sir? Pretty crucial signs that there is I think, not always, but worth begging the question.

A fish pasta dish that was "lightly spiced". Lightly as in inferno, unfortunately far too much spice had been put on this fish dish, to the point only a couple of forks were eaten. To let you understand. We were being treated, so it would have been very akward to complain on someone elses behalf, it was however one of the two people treating us that had this dish. They decided not to say anything, which I think was a mistake, however its their perogative as it was their treat and "hot" dish. The whole dish had hardly been touched, and that in itself would raise a question, but disappointingly no. Not a single question asking about that dish why it was left almost untouched!

I do like this little restaurant and the staff and I hope it continues to thrive. I do promise that the next meal I have here I shall be unshackled by politics, and if something isn't right I'll be saying so and conversely if it is right I'll also say so.

My apologies to the "chef in shorts", I'm unable to obtain your name from the website at the moment!

Enjoy your meal!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Gerry C, Owner at L'Angolino, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and I will try to answer the points raised as fully as possible. First of all, and for the avoidance of doubt, I am "the chef in the shorts". I remember your comment about the under-ripe avocado, but I'm afraid the passage of time has blurred the details for me. We did have a short-lived problem with the avocados we were buying, but, shortly after our conversation, we changed supplier and the issue has been resolved. We would not knowingly send out from the kitchen dishes that we felt were of an unacceptable standard and I must point out that we received no adverse comment from other customers on the avocado.

Your observations on your second visit do give me some cause for concern and I wish that we had been able to address your issues at the time. As far as the mussels are concerned, we can only be vigilant every time that mussels are on the menu and ensure that they are given the right degree of cooking. The spiced fish pasta ( I imagine it was the salmon, whisky, cream dish) should not be overwhelmingly spiced and we are being careful not to overdo the chilli. Again, we could easily have replaced your dish if we had known it was too spicy.

In the time we have been open, we have never prepared bruschetta in advance of it being ordered. The process is that on receiving the order the bread slices are brushed with olive oil and garlic and placed in the pizza oven for a few minutes before adding the toppings. It is possible that in your case the bread slices were removed from the oven before the bread was fully crisped.

I regret that you had 3 separate issues with your food on the night in question. No kitchen the world over gets everything right and we can only strive to minimise the possibility of dishes going out that are not as they should be. Again, I would point out that in nearly 4 months of trading I don't believe we have had any other complaints regarding these particular dishes - which suggests an unfortunate combination of circumstances on your second visit rather than a general inadequacy relating to these dishes.

The staff who serve out front make a point of asking every table at least twice during their visit if there are any issues with their food. As a result, they are wary of questioning customers any further when removing uneaten food, given that there could be reasons for leaving food that a customer does not wish to discuss.

I appreciate that you did not wish to complain during your visit and, in turn, I would ask you to appreciate that I feel a sense of frustration at not having had the opportunity to address your dissatisfaction on the day in question. Thank you for your positive comments on liking the restaurant overall, and for your wish that we continue to thrive. Our future depends on maintaining a high standard of food and service. It is more likely that we will maintain high standards if customers feel free to let us know when they are not completely happy with something. I welcome, therefore, your assurance that you will not feel restrained in any way on any future visit to L'Angolino.

Kind regards

Scone
“Fresh and charming restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I did try and have lunch here but found it closed ?, but after reading the reviews I booked in for a evening meal and I'm so glad I did,
I got to say that during the day the restaurant looks more like a cafe I'm saying that because of the net curtains which cover the bottom half of the windows.

Once you step inside it’s a different story, it has a nice warm felling to the place and a very happy welcome from the staff, we were shown to our table when ordering our wine and we were then given complement bread sticks and olives. We both started with Fresh mussels and to follow meat balls and haddock the food was .filling and really tasty. I believe there are only 24 seats in this small and delightful restaurant so I would defiantly book before going.

The kitchen is an open type view kitchen so can see them cooking your food which I do like,
What isn't so nice is to see is a man in dirty looking combat shorts cooking; it just doesn't look right in this new fresh and charming restaurant. Chefs should like Chef's not combat soldiers.

He's legs (lol) wouldn't put me off from going again in fact I look forward It.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Gerry C, Owner at L'Angolino, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your positive and kind comments re the food and service and we are glad you enjoyed your visit. We have had a lot of good feedback since we opened in December, and you have no idea how motivational this is for all of us here.

I have to own up to being the man in shorts. I would be the first to admit that in shorts, short socks and clogs I am not going to win any prizes for aesthetic merit. Having said that, I don't think I've put anyone off their food yet and, unless I become aware of more general dissatisfaction with my style choices, I'm afraid I'll be sticking with the shorts for now.

I must, however, respectfully challenge your suggestion that my shorts were dirty. Every item of clothing I wore on Sunday was clean and worn for the first time since it was last washed. We place a lot of importance on cleanliness in the restaurant, and I would not like a casual reader of your review to get the impression that our attention to cleanliness is not what it should be.

We would be delighted if you visited L'Angolino again and , in the event you do, we hope you will enjoy the food even more - we think there is room for ongoing improvement.

Arrivederci

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Very thoughtful restaurant for Mother's Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just went for first time to restaurant. A lovely touch as it was Mother's Day, the restaurant gave a rose to my mum. The food was excellent and I would highly recommend it.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere