“Terrible Experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica

Save Saved
You added Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica to your Saves list
Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   El Roble 171-400 Puntarenas, El Roble 5400, Costa Rica (Formerly Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Costa Rica - Puntarenas)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$89/person ALL INCLUSIVE
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in El Roble
Big Pine Key, United States
“Terrible Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Terrible service, food and hospitality. The staff should be trained in Hilton customer service and hospitality for guests coming from other countries, not only for locals. The food is worst than cafeteria food with flies all over it.Thank you for ruining my long weekend!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Jorge A:

We appreciate the insight you provided regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I understand from your review that you were not entirely satisfied with your visit and we came up short of delivering a hospitality experience consistent with your expectations. Please be assured that your review will be taken into consideration so that we may improve our guests’ in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality you expected.

Again, thank you very much for your review and we sincerely hope that you will provide us a future opportunity to regain your confidence while visiting our hotel.

Regards,

1,237 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Turkish first
Kissimmee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We visited this resort May 26-30, 2013. The staff were excellent and we would like to especially thank the staff at the Hilton Honors Guest Services - we were welcomed and as Diamond members treated exceptionally well. It was nice to know our business was appreciated. Thank you so much to Kary who made our transportation arrangements with Chico and for her attention to our needs while we were there. She is extremely professional and a delight to deal with.

Just a few comments - we could not swim in the ocean and that was disappointing. We were told that normally you can swim at the beach but not at this time of the year due to a river that flows into that area and causes a lot of disruption. The water was dirty and logs large enough to cause serious injury were rolling in with the waves. The food in the buffet was not to our taste but that is our problem not the resort's - the fare leaned towards the Latin American guests who were the majority of vacationers. There were larger-sized cockroaches in the buffet area and that might have affected my appetite as it is not something we are used to in food areas. If I didn't know better I'd swear they targeted my feet but I solved the problem by eating with my feet up! Cockroaches are normal in warmer climates but usually you won't see them in the dining areas. This is something that the hotel should address by having more bug spray in that area.

The snack and pool bar at the main pool are under renovation and closed so the second pool was very crowded and consisted primarily of several young families. The seafood restaurant was excellent and the bartender at the "beach" bar very friendly. The spa was lovely and a nice respite from the humidity.

We did one tour to Torguga Island so we could have a beach day and we used Ricky Ricardo Tours - he is an excellent tour operator - he doesn't arrange for Tortuga Island but went out of his way and arranged it for us anyway and even picked us up personally at the hotel and drove us to the boat. The crew on the boat are excellent and a big shout out to Freddie! The beach is small but at least you can swim and the lunch provided was excellent. Note: you have to pay for your alcohol on the boat unlike other Caribbean Islands where it is included and they need cash so if you go bring cash.

Room Tip: We were in the new building - it was more than adequate. I would take a higher level room as there...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear 21SAF:

First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I was pleased to read from your review that you found our staff was polite and helpful and that our seafood restaurant was excelent . Our main priority is for all of our guests to have a welcoming stay. I do however understand that in certain areas we did not meet your expectations. I can assure you that our main priority is for our guests to have an exceptional stay with us and we will do everything we need to do to ensure that these issues are corrected. Our guests’ feedback is incredibly important to us and I do appreciate your comments.

Thank you again for your feedback and loyalty. I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We just returned from Costa Rica, where we spent 4 nights at the Doubletree Resort. While the rates were fabulous, and the room included all meals and drinks, I would not return to this Hilton property, specifically because the rooms were less than adequate. Considering the humidity level, I can understand the reasoning behind a lack of carpeting in the room. However, housekeeping did an extremely poor job of washing the floor on a daily basis, and our feet/socks were constantly dirty. The bathrooms were stocked with a bare minimum of amenities, and we had to ask housekeeping to deliver the bare essentials such as toilet paper, tissues and towels.
They were stocked on an inconsistent basis. The room itself only offers CNN in English, and the furniture is standard dormitory issue. The bed was slightly lop-sided, but after a days activities, sleep wasn't a problem. Walls are not very insulated and we could hear children in adjacent rooms, unfortunately. Air-conditioning worked well, as did the hot water. Meals were okay in the private restaurnats, however we did enjoy the seafood restaurant which would be reserved with a minimun of a 4 night stay. There was a surcharge on lobster which was fine as the meal was delicious and well cooked. I think this is the resorts signature restaurant and much thought went into preparation. Included was a fresh cheviche station with plantation chips. Breakfast was wonderful, with many items to choose from including several hot food stations, however I was bothered by the dessert display at dinner which was subjected to an overhead fan which had a collection of dead insects embedded in the paddles, and not much of a cooling mechanism. Personnel was very helpful and polite which included tour desk, reservation desk and dining and bar areas. The hotel on a whole needs a major rennovation, including Bldg. 3 which supposedly the newest and best wing where we stayed. We wouldn't choose this resort for our next trip to Costa Rica, although for a family including children, the price can't be beat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Travelbond4:

On behalf of the management and our staff, we’d like to thank you for your recent stay with us. We are delighted that for the most part you enjoyed your visit; however, we are disappointed to learn of other aspects of your stay that were not up to your expectations. We strive to provide our guests 100% satisfaction and we are truly sorry that this was not the case during your last visit. Please be assured that your valuable comments will be shared with our team so we are able to learn from our shortcomings in order to keep improving upon our offerings.

We appreciate you have highlighted our staff service, as the same time we are glad to know that you have enjoyed our food selection.

Thank you again for your review and we sincerely hope that you give us another opportunity to welcome you back again next time you are in Costa Rica.

Fresno, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We enjoyed our stay, only one night, as the rates for the next night were over double. Enjoyed the Iguana's roaming the grounds, plenty of swim-up bars however the drinks were mostly juice. Meals are buffet style only unless staying 3 nights or more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear KenW:

Thank you so much for your time to write a review. It is our pleasure to know that we have met your expectations during your stay with your family in our resort.

Your business is extremely important to us and we really appreciate your feedback about drinks. Again, I thank you for your comments and we would love to welcome you back in the near future.

Ricardo Rodríguez Gil
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I were scheduled to spend a week by the beach for his birthday week. And as soon as we arrived, we wanted to leave. This is NOT at all like the Doubletree in the US. The rooms were dark, musty, old, smelly, and run-down. Since we booked this hotel using our time-share, we requested for other rooms. None of the rooms offered to us were acceptable, especially considering what we "paid" (with points) for a Hilton. We then learned that some buildings were newly renovated. But there were no rooms available for us. When my husband offered to pay in cash, i.e. foregoing the "points" we had already paid, the manager miraculously found us a room in one of the newly-renovated buildings. Bottom-line for us, we had to pay double for a standard, 3*, no room service type of room in a hotel with pebbly beach.

Moreover, the whole property was packed with day-trippers from the city. All the pools were packed all day long. Plus, there were organized activities all day long when the "leader" used a blasting mega-phone. NOT at all quiet and serene. NO privacy. NOT a place for a couple to get-away. It was like there were a hundred grand family reunions happening all at the same time.

Food quality was ok considering buffet. But there were lines and you feel rushed all the time. There were a couple of restaurants in the property accepting reservations but they were always full.

I would NOT send my family and friends to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear LenaTravelstheWo….

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience.

We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Again, I thank you very much for your review and sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity and stay with us next time you’re in Costa Rica.

Travelers are raving about these El Roble hotels

San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I visited here on the back 3 days of a 7 day trip to Costa Rica. The Good: The quality and quantity of food served in the main dining area was very good; the staff provides a variety of free activities (land/pool) to keep you entertained; there are snack/bar kiosks open during off meal hours in case you need a calorie fix; and the staff are very warm, inviting and helpful. The BAD: The rooms were clean, but looked well trafficked/worn (had low water pressure/hot water issues); The beach is not the white sand variety and the water is not the clear blue found on the Caribbean side of CR; there are many families with small children, so noise can be a factor when laying out by the pool; and the on site club/disco is not really a happening spot--given the family friendly orientation of the hotel. OVERALL: A very nice 3 day respite after hiking, zip-lining, rafting in the country side of Costa Rica.

Room Tip: There are some first floor rooms which have a sliding glass door which opens to a pool area. If you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear MCJam:

Thank you for your detailed review. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your time in Costa and your stay with us.

I really appreciate your suggestions; we are always looking for ways to improve our service. Our dark brown volcanic sand beach is a typical characteristic of our central pacific coast, and one part of the tropical attractions of a Costa Rica. A positive thing about the ocean just in front of our property is that it has one of best surfing long breaks in the world for long board.

Again, thank you for taking the time you have taken to write about us. We value your business and will continue to work hard to exceed guest´s expectations

Best Regards,

Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I enjoyed Costa Rica so much that I couldn't wait to return. I chose to stay at the Doubletree Resort by Hilton once again and the experience was great. The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful....they truly make you feel at home. I was leaving my room to check out and was carrying my bags myself to reception, a member of the maintenance staff stopped what he was doing to offer to carry my bags for me and another wished me a safe trip. I was truly impressed.

The food choices were excellent. Plus you can choose from several restaurants to broaden your experience. I look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear DawnG:

Thank you very much for spending your vacation time one more time with us. What a pleasure to hear how you enjoyed your visit! As a General Manager I have been lucky enough to work with this fantastic team, we are always doing their best to create wonderful experiences.

On behalf of our staff, I would like to say “Thank you”, for you kind words, it is for all of us, a pleasure to take care of our guests every day, and it is part of our culture and Brand Promise.

We hope to have you back, soon.

Best Regards,

Ricardo Rodriguez Gil

Been to Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica? Share your experiences!