“NOT the Doubletree you expect in the US” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica

You added Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica to your Saves list
Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   El Roble 171-400 Puntarenas, El Roble 5400, Costa Rica (Formerly Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Costa Rica - Puntarenas)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$99/person ALL INCLUSIVE
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in El Roble
Scottsdale, Arizona
“NOT the Doubletree you expect in the US”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I were scheduled to spend a week by the beach for his birthday week. And as soon as we arrived, we wanted to leave. This is NOT at all like the Doubletree in the US. The rooms were dark, musty, old, smelly, and run-down. Since we booked this hotel using our time-share, we requested for other rooms. None of the rooms offered to us were acceptable, especially considering what we "paid" (with points) for a Hilton. We then learned that some buildings were newly renovated. But there were no rooms available for us. When my husband offered to pay in cash, i.e. foregoing the "points" we had already paid, the manager miraculously found us a room in one of the newly-renovated buildings. Bottom-line for us, we had to pay double for a standard, 3*, no room service type of room in a hotel with pebbly beach.

Moreover, the whole property was packed with day-trippers from the city. All the pools were packed all day long. Plus, there were organized activities all day long when the "leader" used a blasting mega-phone. NOT at all quiet and serene. NO privacy. NOT a place for a couple to get-away. It was like there were a hundred grand family reunions happening all at the same time.

Food quality was ok considering buffet. But there were lines and you feel rushed all the time. There were a couple of restaurants in the property accepting reservations but they were always full.

I would NOT send my family and friends to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear LenaTravelstheWo….

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience.

We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Again, I thank you very much for your review and sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity and stay with us next time you’re in Costa Rica.

Ricardo Rodriguez Gil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I visited here on the back 3 days of a 7 day trip to Costa Rica. The Good: The quality and quantity of food served in the main dining area was very good; the staff provides a variety of free activities (land/pool) to keep you entertained; there are snack/bar kiosks open during off meal hours in case you need a calorie fix; and the staff are very warm, inviting and helpful. The BAD: The rooms were clean, but looked well trafficked/worn (had low water pressure/hot water issues); The beach is not the white sand variety and the water is not the clear blue found on the Caribbean side of CR; there are many families with small children, so noise can be a factor when laying out by the pool; and the on site club/disco is not really a happening spot--given the family friendly orientation of the hotel. OVERALL: A very nice 3 day respite after hiking, zip-lining, rafting in the country side of Costa Rica.

Room Tip: There are some first floor rooms which have a sliding glass door which opens to a pool area. If you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear MCJam:

Thank you for your detailed review. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your time in Costa and your stay with us.

I really appreciate your suggestions; we are always looking for ways to improve our service. Our dark brown volcanic sand beach is a typical characteristic of our central pacific coast, and one part of the tropical attractions of a Costa Rica. A positive thing about the ocean just in front of our property is that it has one of best surfing long breaks in the world for long board.

Again, thank you for taking the time you have taken to write about us. We value your business and will continue to work hard to exceed guest´s expectations

Best Regards,

Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I enjoyed Costa Rica so much that I couldn't wait to return. I chose to stay at the Doubletree Resort by Hilton once again and the experience was great. The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful....they truly make you feel at home. I was leaving my room to check out and was carrying my bags myself to reception, a member of the maintenance staff stopped what he was doing to offer to carry my bags for me and another wished me a safe trip. I was truly impressed.

The food choices were excellent. Plus you can choose from several restaurants to broaden your experience. I look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear DawnG:

Thank you very much for spending your vacation time one more time with us. What a pleasure to hear how you enjoyed your visit! As a General Manager I have been lucky enough to work with this fantastic team, we are always doing their best to create wonderful experiences.

On behalf of our staff, I would like to say “Thank you”, for you kind words, it is for all of us, a pleasure to take care of our guests every day, and it is part of our culture and Brand Promise.

We hope to have you back, soon.

Best Regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This hotel is old, and in need of a renovation for rooms and bathrooms. AC is old and make a lot of noise. It has 3 buildings, we stay in building no. 3 the best one, because we are Hilton Gold members. Location is nice, right at the beach with black sand (not my favorite as is more like dirt). They have 3 pools but the adult one was full of kids. We had all inclusive, food is average, personal is pretty nice. I guess is very popular resort for Costa Ricans or other Central Americans, because they make about 90% of tourists here, just about 10% Americans. To make story short, this is not a Hilton standard, more like a Holiday Inn standard.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SimoSparky:

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I was glad to read from your review that you found our rooms to be the best ones and that you found our service to be good. I do however understand that you were disappointed with a few issues and sincerely apologize for this. We are always listening to our guests and I will definitely keep your comment about the A/C in mind to improve.

We appreciate your business and we do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Very relaxing and fun place. The staff is very courteous. Beautiful location and awesome food.
All Inclusive and great entertainment too in the evening.
Three different Pool locations. One for smaller kids too. Nice lawn and relax by the beach, or the pool.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Vinntx:

Thank you very much for your comments; it is a pleasure to serve you. I am very happy that you felt welcomed by the staff and the enjoyed the facilities and delicious food variety, too.

Our service values are always in mind to serve our guests, that is why I appreciate your feedback. Thank you again for your review and we do hope that we may welcome you again in the future.

Ricardo Rodríguez Gil
Gerente General
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I go every year twice with my family. Personnel is great and dedicate to give you a great service. When my baby was less than a year old, i couldn't find something for her in the buffet so chefs prepared her fruits and cereal without asking them to do so. What a great place! And now is all inclusive 24*7!!!!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Gambesq:

We really appreciate your kind comments about your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad to know that since long time ago you found our Resort as place of preference to enjoy holidays. We appreciate your business, and for that reason we do everything we can to ensure our guests satisfaction, specially if it is for the little ones of the family .

Once again, thank you very much for your positive feedback shared through Tripadvisor web site, we hope to welcome you all together very soon .

Ricardo Rodríguez Gil
Gerente General
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We went as a group on my boyfriend's company trip.
The good:
The food was pretty decent and the dining area is pretty
The rooms were clean
The sleep quality was good as you couldn't hear outside
The swim up bar is decent
Beer on tap
The beach/water was very nice
The sunsets by the pier were beautiful
The staff front desk and tour guides were very accommodating

The cons:
Not the nicest rooms (but again clean)
The beach isn't flat, if you want to lay out on their chairs at the beach you have to drag them by the water down a little hill a ways, basically off the resort
Weak drinks

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. It's not the nicest but the rooms are clean, quiet and the food was...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear AndSol:

Thank you very much for your comments , it was a pleasure to have you here visiting with us. Although we are very happy that you enjoyed or food selection, that you found our rooms to be clean and our staff was accommodating with you Rest assured I will share your comments with the team to correct some of your comments on the cons.

Our service values are very important to us and that is why I appreciate your feedback.

We thank you again, and we hope you give us another opportunity to serve you.

Ricardo Rodriguez Gil

Been to Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica? Share your experiences!