“All inclusive and more!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica

Save Saved
You added Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica to your Saves list
Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   El Roble 171-400 Puntarenas, El Roble 5400, Costa Rica (Formerly Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Costa Rica - Puntarenas)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$89/person ALL INCLUSIVE
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in El Roble
Los Angeles, California
“All inclusive and more!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Really impressive property... after a week, we still didn't get to swim in every pool and try all the places to eat! Felt very much like we were on a cruise ship... complete with daily activites pool side, shopping, helpful, courteous (bilingual) staff and evening shows (some for adults... some for kids).

Food was tasty and had some diversion, though I'm a fan of local cuisine. Bartenders were all kind and attentive, entertainment staff were engaging and definitly captivated the audience.

Spa had just opened while we were there and we had some of the first massages. It was truly blissful to lay in the open air under a palm leaf roof and watch the waves roll and the palms sway while getting treatments. Pricing was quite good as well.

You can pay your airport exit tax as a convience (for a small $3-5 fee thereabouts) and practically any question we asked was answered quickly and correctly or the right information was found and we were advised by phone to the room.

Bed was REALLY really comfortable, water pressure fabulous, room faced one of the pools and there was no problem with noise thanks to the whir of the A/C. Amazing value for an all inclusive resort. Just under 2 hours by car from San Jose, we also drove to Manual Antonio and back in one day as well as Arenal/La Fortuna and back in one day.

Room Tip: Easy day trips to Manual Antonio and Arenal Volcano. Clean, great value. A+
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear Miss_JB_916:

Receive a warm greeting on behalf of all our team members and Management. We really appreciate such positive and well detailed feedback. I am glad to hear your opinion about the amazing value for all services received at Doubletree Resort by Hilton Central Pacific.

Moreover, I am delighted to realize how you had an amazing time in the facilities and was indulged by the food & beverages, accommodations, entertainment and the new spa.

Again, thank you very much for sharing your great experience in our property and Costa Rica, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Gerente General

1,231 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Turkish first
San Ramon, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights during our trip and we enjoyed our stay. The staff is very friendly and courteous. The hotel premises are very scenic and well maintained - lots of trees, flowers, hammocks, lounge chairs, volleyball courts. The 3 large pools are nice with sections for the younger kids.

Our room was in building 1 near the stair case but it was always quiet. BTW we stayed during Easter holy week when the hotel was very busy. The staff were always cleaning the hotel and our room was made everyday. Hotel does not seem to be new but is well maintained.

Another thing to mention is that we always felt very safe here. Lots of activities for kids and teens but mostly in Spanish.

Like all the other reviewers say, the food is good only in parts - meaning the salads, fruits, juices and desserts are good, rest is hit or miss. I tried a cocktail at the bar only once and it was not good. But beer was good.

For trips around Costa Rica, we hooked up with Michael from Varso Travels (http://www.varsotravel.com/). Very trustworthy. He waited to pick us up from the airport even though our flight was 2 hours late. He is a very nice, showed us around Costa Rica. Very happy with his prices and his patience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mita_Alpesh:

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at our Resort. It is so nice to hear from you that really enjoyed your stay and you had a wonderful holiday.

The management team is happy to hear that all family felt safe and was thrilled by the friendly and helpful staff.

As you mentioned, we have too much to give: families, couples and business, too. Thank you for your highlights about the scenic and well maintained hotel premises and observations about translation in activities and food, we also receive suggestions with a positive attitude.

One more time, your feedback is most than appreciated; we hope to have the opportunity to serve the whole family when you come back to Costa Rica.

Kind regards,

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I was shocked to see just how run down they will let a Hilton get. The food was terrible at the resort and good everywhere else I tried. I did eat out a lot because of the poor quality of food, so the all inclusive is not a good deal. On the upside, the people are nice. Overall, it is just old and run down and not maintained well at all and in my opinion not worth that they charge. Rooms in building 3 that the say have been newly renovated are not, just a quick coat of paint and still needs another coat. Mold and mildew are evident in the commons areas. I did point these out to them management, but they just did not seem to care. I am going to include some picture so that you can see for yourself the condition of this facility.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Mr. Richard B:

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel. We very much appreciate your business.

Please accept my apologies for the concerns that you have raised in your review. I was both surprised and deeply disappointed by your recount of your experience with us. However, I can very much empathize with your situation and assure you that we will take your comments into consideration to improve our property.

I apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you travels bring you back to our area. Please know that we value your business and will work hard to earn your trust once again.

Travelers are raving about these El Roble hotels

London, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This resort is the perfect location to do excursions! I stayed 7 nights here and was gone most of the time but my time at the resort was good. A friend and I stayed in building 1 which is said to be the run down building but we had no big issues. The cleaning staff did a great job in our room everyday the beds where very comfortable and the only issue is the ac only cooled to about 23 Celsius. At times I found that bar staff favored the locals but tips changed that in a hurry. For the most part I found the staff happy and friendly. The cookies they give you on arrival are amazing! I bought some more at the gift shop!

My trip was for excursions. On the way to the resort they tell you to buy your excursions through the hotel for safety. We did not listen because we wanted to save money and soon learned that the same excursions are sold by the people across the street much cheaper. On our first day we went excursion hunting across the street and found Randy at Syl Travel. He was more amazing then I could ask for! Him and our tour guide Riccardo were like friends before the end of the week. They were definitely a highlight of my trip and I would recommend anyone to go to them for excursions.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Kylee S:

Thank you very much for spending your vacation time one more time with us. What a pleasure to hear how you enjoyed your visit! As a General Manager I have been lucky enough to work with this fantastic team, we are always doing their best to create wonderful experiences.

On behalf of our staff, I would like to say “Thank you”, for you kind words, it is for all of us, a pleasure to take care of our guests every day, and it is part of our culture and Brand Promise.

We hope to have you back, soon.

Best Regards,

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My partner and I are in our late 20's. We spent 7 days at this resort with his Mother.

As a younger couple, we were disappointed with the lack of activities after 11pm. The food service also shuts down after 11pm. There was a "discotique", but nobody was ever in it.
That is why I would recommend this place for older couples and families that aren't looking to party all night.

The resort had theatre / variety shows every night that exceeded our expectations. An excellent display of incrediably talented dancers, MC's and acrobats. One of the performers was slated to go on to Cirque du Solei.

The grounds are very spacious. The staff are friendly. I found the facilities clean.

For off-resort excursions, a gentleman by the name of "Randy" is located in a shop across from the Main Gatehouse. He gave us great rates, was very honest and even accommodated a last-minute change in schedule when our party got sick. FIND HIM! Trust him!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear gerimar01:

Thank you for your detailed review. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your time in Costa and your stay with us.

I really appreciate your suggestions; we are always looking for ways to improve our service. Again, thank you for taking the time you have taken to write about us.

We value your business and will continue to work hard to exceed guest´s expectations

Best Regards,

STREATOR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here 3 nights during a 16 day trip to Costa Rica. If you don't want to read this novel, here is a summary:

Staff: Friendly
Room: Big, nice
Pool: Pretty and clean
Beach: OK
Food: Nothing to write home about

The lobby staff were all quite nice and welcoming. There is a business center off the lobby which has 5 computers you can use for free. ASk for the password at the front desk. There is 1 printer. At least 1 computer has a Spanish keyboard. So, if you are touch typing and weird things are happening, switch to another computer. The business center has A/C which is a delight. You might be spending more time here than you think, once you find out that WiFi in your room costs $20 for 24 hours. There is supposed to be free WiFi in the lobby, but I didn't check.

The hotel rooms are big (we were in room 1107). There are 2 chairs and a table, and on the patio, another 2 chairs. There is a large flat screen tv that shows some English channels. There is also a coffee maker and a safe. The bathroom is fairly large and the water pressure is good in the shower. The shower drains very slowly. The toiletries were good quality. There is mold growing in/on the wall behind the toilet. Although the room was very clean, it smelled like mold every time we entered. It wasn't bad enough to request a room change, and we were exhausted by the 6 hour drive to get to Puntarenas.

The food was average at best. It was very pretty, so it was disappointing to actually taste it. They had a different theme every night (pasta, latin food, etc.). The desserts were gorgeous, but tasteless. We both tried a little bit of a lot of different foods, but never found anything really delicious. They had at least 1 fish dish every night, and if I had to pick 1 thing that was fairly good, it would be the fish. I did find out on the 2nd night that there is a station in the very back that sometimes serves roasted, carved meat. It's pretty well hidden, so you might want to swing by there first to see what's being served.

If you stay for 3 nights, you get a certificate to eat at one of the 2 reservation only restaurants. We picked the seafood one and were very excited about having some good food. It was a nice location, on the beach, and looked very pretty. The bartender introduced himself and brought us some wine, and never once retuned during the meal. The appetizers were tasty (seafood creme soup and tropical salad). The fried sea bass was ok, and the "trapped shrimp" had been pre-made and had been sitting in an oven, and as a result was dry and again, tasteless. The head waiter finally appeared near the end of the main course, saw our empty glasses and asked if we would like more wine. We said yes, please, but the bartender was bussing tables. He finally appeared with a bottle of wine, but went to 2 other tables (behind us) to fill their glasses, and ran out of wine and disappeared AGAIN. We flagged down the head waiter and pointed to our still empty wine glasses, and he looked quite annoyed. He went off in search of the "bartender", and the bartender returned at last with more wine and apologized. It's not like we spent the whole evening drinking wine. We just wanted a 2nd (small) glass with our meal. By the time he finally got there, we were finished with our entrees. Very annoying. The desserts (passion fruit tart and ice cream layered sponge cake) were better than the desserts in the buffet.

I'm very sad to say that the best meal we had here was a freshly made cheeseburger and fries at the snack place out by the pool.

The restaurant directly across the street from this hotel serves very good food. I don't remember what the dish is called, but it is a Costa Rican version of stir fried rice with pork, shrimp, chicken and vegetables that was crazy good and was more than 2 people could eat for about $12.

The main bar at the hotel serves FANTASTIC iced tea that is sweetened and has lime juice in it. I hate sweetened iced tea, and I do not like it with lemon, so I was very surprised how much I liked this drink. The only hard part is getting the bartenders to serve it to you without any liquor in it. :) The service at the bar varies from inattentive to average. If you happen to be a bikini clad female, the service skyrockets to excellent. (And yes, even thought it is an all inclusive, we were tipping, so it wasn't that.)

There is a show in the auditorium every night. We went 1 night and it was again, average. There was a live band on Friday and Saturday nights in the bar that played good music.

The beach is pretty, the water is brown because of the sand being churned up. The pier pictured on the website is falling apart. While we were there, about 2/3 of the way out it was roped off with caution tape. the pools are nice, but only about 4 ft. deep. They have water aerobics several times per day in the pool nearest to the bar. This comes with loud music and an instructor shouting into a microphone.

I suppose they were working on the fire alarm system while we were there because it went off randomly for 2 days (starting at 3am Friday morning).

The property is fairly quiet on the week days, but on the weekends the population doubles, as the ticos come to enjoy the weekend. The hotel staffs accordingly, and everything ran smoothly. They have a 2nd dining area off the buffet that they open on the weekend, and they set up tables in the bar to accomodate the traffic.

A little tip: The buffet area has a thatched roof and is open at the sides. When being seated, look up and note the location of the roof beams. Don't sit under one, because birds perch up there. One morning at breakfast, we were the lucky recipient of bird cr*p that just missed our plates and landed on the table between us. Enjoy!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrs. Melinda W:

On behalf of the management and staff we would like to thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write about your experience with us. We very much appreciate your business and thank you for selecting our hotel. Our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority and I assure you that we will definitely take your comments into consideration so that we may find ways to improve our hotel.

Thank you again for your review and we do hope that we may welcome you again in the future.

Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This resort would need a reconstruction because its best days are years ago. First-you will sweat at the check-in. Rooms may have quite good beds, but bathroom is like from 1990, you can see it on a photo pro our presidential suite-which should be the best room in the hotel(?). It isn't. Building 1 is probably oldest. Be careful, pool area between building 1 and 2 was very loud (staff use microphones, music etc.) Some rooms can face the parking lot, which isn't nice-and it's pretty near main road.
The place isn't nothing special-long wide beach with dark brown sand, which makes water brown too plus the main road and surrounding area. Most of people probably stay at the pools (Americans and ticos), buffet food is poor and in american style-hot dogs, pizza, french fries... It may be good for families with children but I won't prefer it for people who want to see the best from Costa Rica. But they can arrange you quite cheap boat trips to Tortuga.
Visit the hotel another time? NO.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Butrusik:

On behalf of the management and staff we’d like to thank you for your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate your business and thank you for selecting our hotel. At the same time we are disappointed to learn of your mixed feelings, as we always like to ensure that our guests feel cared for, valued and respected, which is our brand promise.

Ricardo Rodriguez Gil

Been to Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica? Share your experiences!