“A good experience overall” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica

Save Saved
You added Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica to your Saves list
Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   El Roble 171-400 Puntarenas, El Roble 5400, Costa Rica (Formerly Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Costa Rica - Puntarenas)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$89/person ALL INCLUSIVE
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in El Roble
London, United Kingdom
“A good experience overall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This Hilton resort is popular. We stayed during Easter Week which coincided with holidays. Yet despite being very busy, the complex has enough space for one not to feel too crowded in. It also operates a full daily programme for all ages - ideal for families.
The seaside location is OK for body sufing but too rough for swimming and too cloudy for snorkelling. A key weakness in location is that security advise against walikning outside the complex whether on the beach or outside: ( a socially depressed area). However there are 5 pools available in total. It would be good if one of those was for swimmers and swimming only.
Accommodation is very good. Clean and well maintained. Staff are attentive and helpful in general.
Tours can be arranged easily.
There are two restaurants open to those who are resident for more than 3 nights, both are a la carte, either a fish restaurant or local Costa Rican. We found service and food were far better in the fish restaurant.
Guest services were extremely helpful, whatever the nature of the request.
If wev are ever back in Costa Rica this would be somehwere we would return to.

Room Tip: Away from the main pool area with its loudspeaker system.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear DrDWR:

Thank you very much for spending your vacation time with us. What a pleasure to hear how you enjoyed your visit!

On behalf of our staff, I would like to say “Thank you”, for you kind words, it is for all of us, a pleasure to take care of our guests every day.

We hope to have you back, soon.

1,239 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Recently came back from Costa Rica and stayed at the Hilton Doubletree Resort. A very nice hotel with its many pools, restaurants and bars. Also directly on the beach at Puntarenas with its nice dark volcanic sand. Service was just perfect, always friendly and the food was excellent. I truly recommend a stay at this resort and you will enjoy the wonderful warm constant weather (35 celsius during the day and 25 celsius at night) and the beautiful sunsets.

Room Tip: The best place to stay is in the third building 2nd and 3rd floors and ask for a deluxe room with oc...
Dear adeziel :

Thank you for your review. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your time in Costa and your stay with us.

Our dark brown volcanic sand beach is a typical characteristic of our central pacific coast, and one part of the tropical attractions of a Costa Rica. .

Again, thank you for taking the time you have taken to write about us. We value your business and will continue to work hard to exceed guest´s expectations

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My friends and I bought a Groupon deal. It was about $80 a day per person - all inclusive.

Pros - Pools looked nice. They also had an internet computer room.

Cons - Buffet food was OK. Either the food got better as the days went by, or we just got used to the mediocre food. The alcohol was watered down. The rooms had a damp mildew smell.

Overall this was an OK resort. We didn't pay much to stay here, so we didn't expect a lot.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Pat T:

Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed our pool facilities and the computer room, as well. I do appreciate your comments and the time you took to evaluate the quality of the products and services we provide. I am concerned about your comment related to our liquors because we offer a wide variety that includes the best national brands and other international well known liquors, and is not our policy to reduce the quality of our alcoholic beverages.

We regret to know that you did not thoroughly enjoy our resort. I will share all your comments with each department head. Your opinion as our guest is very important and helps us to improve

I value your patronage and I appreciate the time you took to share your comments and experience.

Regards,

missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This resort is an older hotel and well-used. It is clean and the staff is very pleasant. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom had a very large shower. There was not any local places within walking distance. So you were very dependent on hotel amenities. The pools were large and clean. There was lots of local food on the restaurant buffets daily. The highlight of the menu was the abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables-delicious! The beach was nice, but due to the large amount of lava mixed in the sand, appeared to be dirty. There were many activities for children and teens, also for adults. If I stayed there again I would rent a car so I would be able to see more of the country.

Room Tip: First floor rooms with a garden view are more convenient and have on outdoor lounging area.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear bettibMissouri:

Thank you for your detailed review. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your time in Costa and your stay with us.

Mays Landing, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My girfriend and I stayed for week for my 55th birthdayon 2/1/13. Even though I had the stomach flu for the entire trip, we had a great time. The hotel was clean and the food was good. I just couldn't keep it down! Lol The grounds were cleaned very early every morning. They were in the process of updating the fishing pier and one of the shops. The staff was very helpful. There was an issue with our ground transfer unrelated to the hotel. They helped me get the matter corrected and then ensured that there was not an issue on the return trip. The most helpful staff was a young woman named Nayudell. On the eve of my birthday I became very ill. Even she was officially off duty for the evening and was leaving for the evening, she stopped and helped me get the help I needed. Then for the rest of our trip she checked on me to make sure that I was ok. Also her command of the english language was impressive. My girlfriend and I are both Registered Nurses. We asked some questions of the EMT that was there. Even though the words used were very rare to normal conversation, she was able to translate them to staff.
We only went off grounds 3 days during our visit. We used the tour company across the street. You can also find them at the foot of the fishing pier. They are Tiquicia Tours. They were very friendly and funny. Their prices were also very good. We did Toutuga Island and what they called the triple tour. First is a delightful encounter with semi tamed white faced monkies. For 3.00 you get pieces of bananas and cookies to feed them. They come down and sit on your shoulder or head and eat. Second is the mangroves on a boat with a very knowledgable guide. He identified like 90 spieces of birds and the captain of the boat got out onto the shore and hand fed a very large crocodile! Last is the zip line. 12 platforms. It is very well maintained and the staff are very friendly and supportive. This was my girlfiends first time. They had her very relaxed by the 3rd platform. Most of the platforms are in the jungle. The last 3 or 4 have a georgeous view of Los Suenos. Platform #10 in very exilerating. It is very long and very fast!
We also did some fishing while we were there. After doing some homework on the web we chose Angry Marlin. We went with Capt Mke. Very knowledgable an his english is pretty good. We both caught 125lb Sailfish and a very nice mahi. We raised 7 sails and could have had a double if I wasn't so weak from the flu. Also the boat was a nice 26 foot catamaran. Smooth riding!
I would and have recommend this trip to friends.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Scubame58

Thanks for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. I’m happy to read from your review that you found our hotel staff to be friendly and efficient. We really appreciate your very positive feedback and I have shared it with our team members.

We are delighted to hear that you had a very nice time with us and that our location let you experience and enjoy the wonders of Costa Rica, for each of us is an honor to realize that it has taken pleasure in our food and nice and clean facilities.

Our main priority is for all our guests to have a welcoming stay. Our guests’ feedback is incredibly important to us and I do appreciate your comments.

Again, thank you very much for your business and I do hope that next time you are in town, you consider staying with us.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was a nice well used resort that has seen better days. The location is on a largely unusable beach that is frequented by horses using it as a giant litter box. The swimming pools are basically toilets for multiple babies and people that have overused the swim up bars. We did come home with nice tans and cases of diarrhea going on three days. The buffet staff were a bright spot. They all seemed to work hard. I love Costa Rica but didn't care for this "resort".

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear BuzzyK:

We appreciate your feedback and you can be sure that our mission is to offer the highest quality of service and convenience to all our guests during each visit. We deeply regret that we did not meet your expectations and we are very concerned about your comment of the pool because, in order to to ensure hygiene and comfort of all our guests, our pool rules states that every baby should wear disposable diaper suitable for swimming pools, in addition to that, our water purification system are highly efficient and complies with the regulations set by our government.

Something that really characterize our hotel is the volcanic sand beach which makes part of our tropical scenery, typically of the Pacific part of our country, and I am proud to inform you that our beach was awarded by the ICT (Costa Rican Tourism Institute) with the “Blue Flag” for having a clean, safe and pollution free beach.

Once again, we thank you for expressing your opinion and let us being part of your vacation.

Kind regards,

Travelers are raving about these El Roble hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a nice place, but location and beach is not the greatest in Costa Rica. It is a good place to take kids and families and stop over while crossing Costa Rica. They have some great places to eat, but the buffets are average.

Very popular with Costa Rican nationals also.

It is a good place for a stopover or a couple nights. It is a nice place to use Hilton points.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Nickphoenix11:

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We are very happy that you have chosen our hotel for your recent stay. I am glado to know that you found our hotel to be good for families and that you recommend our property as a good place to redeem HHonors Points.

Our guests’ satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. With this said, I will assure you that I will take your comments into consideration to improve our hotel.

Our Hotel is located in a very strategic point from where, you will have access to the most important tourist spots in Costa Rica, because we are in the middle of the major attractions and this allows our guests to visit them in a short time allowing them to enjoy even more and something that really characterize our hotel is the volcanic sand beach which makes part of our tropical scenery, typically of the Pacific part of our country, the pacific Coastline is known worldwide as being perfect for sport fishing, surfing and just for enjoying the visits to the islands close by. We hope that next time you are in town, you consider staying with us again.

We appreciate your feedback and want to thank your for your Hilton loyalty.

Ricardo Rodriguez Gil

Been to Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica? Share your experiences!