Let me preface my review by saying, we are not picky travelers. The majority of our trip in Costa Rica was spent in modest hotels. We planned to stay two nights and three days in this resort as a relaxing get away from our otherwise adventurous trip. This turned out to be the least enjoyable part of our trip. It wasn't terrible, but for the price we paid we expected a lot more.
Food: probably the most disappointing part of all. I can't believe that people wrote on here that the food was good! We found out after checking in that because we were only staying two nights we would not have access to the two nicer restaurants on the premises. We originally didn't think that was a big deal since the other all inclusives that we have stayed at even the buffet style restaurants have been good. The buffet food here is terrible, it tastes like bad school cafeteria food. There is a wide variety but none of it was good. I do have to say that when I went to the front desk and voiced my concerns they were very helpful and allowed us to make a reservation at one of the sit down restaurants. The food there was good but you aren't going to be able to avoid the buffet for breakfast and lunch.
Entertainment: We did not find this to be an English friendly vacation spot. This wasn't necessarily a negative, we speak decent spanish and enjoy taking in local culture, however, it was difficult to understand the shows, which were only partially translated. I read another review on here that said that it is a local vacation spot on the weekends so maybe it is different during the week (we stayed Friday-Sunday).
Rooms: They were clean and big enough but again for the price I'd expect sparkling clean and nicely decorated as well. When we got there it smelled like bug spray. The following day we realized why, there were tons of little centipedes. They weren't huge or disgusting but definitely annoying and not expected for the price.
Beach and Surrounding Area: As soon as you step foot on the beach staff approaches you and makes you sign a waiver that if you get robbed you can't hold them responsible. The beach is not anything to get excited about, it's not even on the pacific, as some reviewers have written, it's in the gulf of nicoya. The view is pretty, across the gulf is another piece of land. A ferry can take you across and we heard the beaches and towns there are much nicer. We didn't get a chance to go into the city of Puntarenas, but we heard from those who did that we didn't miss much. The pools were nice and clean, there were 2 swim up bars and lots of events going on throughout the day (beach volleyball, water aerobics etc).
Staff: Overall they were fine. It was pretty busy while we were there and it felt a bit understaffed but that's not saying anything negative about the actual people working. They were helpful and nice. During our stay we called the front desk several times and most times no one answered. We had to carry our own bags on the way out and check out was confusing. Also, everyone is given a key, a towel card and a bracelet. If you lose any of them you are charged a fee. I thought we paid enough to be able to use some pool towels without the threat of having to pay 25$ if lost.
Overall I would highly recommend going somewhere else. There are a lot of other cities in Costa Rica with much more to do. I know the review sounds like we had a terrible time but really it was a mediocre time for A LOT of money. I can see how some people wrote that they had a good time, the grounds are beautiful and there is plenty to do but we expected more and got more at other not all inclusive hotels that we went to in other areas.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The closest all-inclusive resort to San Jose! Doubletree Resort by Hilton Costa Rica - Central Pacific is a modern, full-amenity, all-inclusive resort hotel. This beachfront Costa Rica Hilton hotel is perfectly situated on the Central Pacific region outside the port city of Puntarenas, Costa Rica. Located only 50 minutes West of Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO) and the Costa Rican capital city of San Jose, and two hours south of Liberia International Airport (LIR). Buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner served daily. Snacks and drinks available all day long. Two a-la-carte restaurants open for dinner. All-day activities for adults, teenagers or children, nightly entertainment and lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton Hotels, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree Resort By Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica Hotel El Roble
- Doubletree El Roble
- Doubletree Hotel By
- Hilton El Roble
- El Roble Hilton
- Doubletree Resort By Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica Province Of Puntarenas