“teacher training feb/march 2013” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ashiyana Yoga Resort Goa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mandrem
Ashiyana Yoga Resort Goa
You added Ashiyana Yoga Resort Goa to your Saves list
Junas Waddo, Mandrem, India   |
London, United Kingdom
“teacher training feb/march 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

i have done the yoga teacher training this year at Ashiyana. this was a return to India for me after more than 20 years.
i found ashiyana clean and calm. toilets were always clean. the staff were friendly and went out of their way to help with enquiries. issues were dealt with efficiently. i liked my beach hut and enjoyed crossing the river every morning to go to asanas. very peaceful. the hut was cleaned on a daily basis and the bed made, without fail. there were a few noisy nights, but that is life near other people.
the food was excellent, especially breakfast. the kitchen staff met all the demands from us demanding customers. nothing was ever too much or impossible.
the course met my needs and it is very much a growing process.
the teachers were excellent and knowledgable. each one contributed in their own way to my understanding of yoga and i left feeling confident about my own yoga practice. i am now teaching yoga to families. what i enjoyed most was that everyones yogic ability was accepted and i did not feel snubbed because i was less flexible or strong or trendy. having many teachers helped, because they all had an individual slant on a yogic issue, which gave me more of a rounded approach to yoga and made me feel that anything is possible. i would like to thanks Yamuna and Nicole for running and holding the course together in such a gentle and nurturing way and with such an open heart.
it was great to think, do and breath yoga for a month with no other 'noise' in my head and everything being taken care of.
i loved my time at Ashiyana and met some wonderful people. would definitely go back.
thanks you all at Ashiyana.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I'm so glad my first ever trip to Goa ended at the Ashiyana resort in Goa.
My 5-day yoga break was a superb experience and the teachers are all very experienced.

Ashiyana resort is a calm oasis in bustling Mandrem, and the superior rooms are all fab.
The food is really authentic too.

If you want a more luxurious stay rather than a beach hut, check out Ashiyana. You won't be dissapointed.

Read on for the full low-down:

Room Tip: We stayed in the Jaipur room. Watch out for the mozzies.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Guana Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Completing my 200hr YTT at Ashiyana in 2011 was an incredible, enriching and heart-opening experience. As my first Teacher Training, I had nothing to compare it to. I tried to approach the course without expectations, but still, subconsciously, I was anticipating something transformational. I wasn’t disappointed.

The teaching was really fantastic: Whilst technically consistent, the input of five different instructors, and therefore, five different approaches, was invaluable. The course was not dogmatic, encouraging the students to express our personalities and original ideas through our teaching.

In lively philosophical discussion, conventional notions were often challenged, and new perspectives presented - but not pushed. Anatomy classes were interactive, creating an engaging platform for learning.

The amount of love that was poured into the course was profoundly moving. Many of us on the course, myself included, had previously only limited exposure to Bhakti yoga. It was quite something to see how the inspired Bhakti sessions opened us up like flowers.

I could write an essay depicting and praising each element of the course. That might be a little much for Trip Advisor. However, I will say that from the meditation, through the asana, discourse, dance, celebration, contemplation to the kirtan, I enjoyed every minute! The teachers have managed to construct a course that is the perfect balance of ‘East meets West’.

By the way, the food is also fabulous :)

As I mentioned before, at the time, I had nothing to compare with the Ashiyana YTT. Since, I have completed my 500hr YTT, which was also an incredible experience, but a very different one. Hindsight always provides clearer vision, and it is only after having enjoyed various other trainings and retreats that I can now truly appreciate the balance of the Teacher Training at Ashiyana. Keep up the amazing work!

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I took the Ashiyana Teacher training in February 2013. I was enticed by the website and through a series of email communications that followed my enquiry. My personal experience was the following. The centre owner and one of the main teachers, Chris Nelson, is totally out of touch with what it is to be a yoga teacher. Sacrificing form for free expression is not a structure to offer to would-be teachers. There was clearly friction between the female teachers, and that could be felt by all the students, as we often spoke about it. The asana part of the course was particularly weak, with little or no structural knowledge being passed onto us. The anatomy was appallingly weak. I know more about the anatomy and physiology of the human body than the teacher. And the philosophy lectures were so abstract that I found myself drifting off into thought to avoid the monotony of these unstructured, seemingly random discussions. I had a couple of talks with the management about my experience, but was told I was the only one complaining, and to take a look at myself before blaming the course teachers. I had a hut on the beachside, and it was incredibly basic, and not at all comfortable. At night there was constant noise from the neighbouring restaurants, and I could hear every word spoken from the neighbouring huts. It is possible to rent a hut similar to the one I was given for around 500 rupees/night, instead of the crazy price I was charged. I have heard that the earlier courses were less successful in terms of offering a structured syllabus for the prospective yoga teacher to use in order to teach a class. Well, I pity those students because this course is the worst i have taken in all of the various courses I have taken in my 30-odd years in this life. I cannot believe the motivation to run these courses is anything except a financial one, else they would have stopped then Teacher Trainings long before I wasted my money on this one. STAY AWAY and do some research into the experience of the teachers before being seduced by the clever wording on their website. The staff are very friendly, and the food was OK, although over 50% of the group got sick whilst there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

IYoga Teacher Training is a very personal experience. Everybody has a different expectations and aims, but as yoga itself – everything is about You and your Connection. In February 2013 I’ve been in TT in Ashiyana and I teach yoga directly after this unforgettable experience. Our daily schedule was pretty busy - we’ve studied yoga philosophy, anatomy, hindu principles, bhakti yoga, breathing techniques, mudras, meditations, karma yoga, cleaning techniques, we’ve analyzed a lot of asanas, we’ve had a lot of teacher’s practice (great for not native English students) and finally I’ve had very beneficial time for my personal development. I’ve met interested and inspirational persons and I’ve realized how much is there to learn – about yoga, about others and about myself. Of course, during an intensive month of TT, there were some difficult moments, but if we believe in yogic philosophy and karma law, everything is necessary to happen. Uneasy moments guide us to deeper understanding and we always growth through them, or not? :-) The teachers and stuff were lovely people. Our main teacher Yamuna Devi did an incredible job, she gave us her heart, an acceptance, an understanding and she shared with us an amazing knowledge and practice of yoga. I would like to say “Thank you” to all for the open, deep and “om” month:-) P.S.: The acomodation and food was great! T.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I completed the teacher training in Feb 2013. At the beginning I was sceptical if it was the right training for me because I had only done power yoga and no meditation. However, after the first week I could already see all the benefits of yoga that is not so much focused on the physical exercise and I started to love it.

The teacher training at Ashiyana definitely enriches your life. You learn more about yourself, which makes you a much more authentic teacher.

All the staff and teachers were incredibly loving and caring. And I was lucky that our group was amazing.

During the classes I teach, I often remember this experience I was able to live, which I am truly thankful for.

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Of all my worldly experiences, nothing quite compares to this. The Teacher Training at Ashiyana opened up a new world of possibilities for me.

Technically the yoga teaching was excellent and the course rounded including all aspects such as Bhakti (chanting), philosophy and anatomy. The teachers in particular are wonderful people.

Accommodation was particularly decent for India and the food was fabulous. I really detoxed living on a vegan diet.

The real change comes in you. Life takes on a new perspective once you've come through these challenging four weeks. Expect to be stronger, healthier and enlightened.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Ashiyana Yoga Resort Goa? Share your experiences!