“Fantastic short break” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Fosse at Cranborne

You added La Fosse at Cranborne to your Saves list
La Fosse at Cranborne
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   London House, | The Square, Cranborne BH21 5PR, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Cranborne B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Whitstable
“Fantastic short break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights from 9th August 2012 and having read all the previous reviews we knew that we were on to a winner, and we were certainly not disapointed. It was a step back in time to years gone by. The rooms were quaint with a modern touch and the food was fine dining at it's best. The village was beautiful with no parking restrictions, lovely village pub opposite and we cannot wait to visit La Fosse again in the very near future.

Room Tip: Book the spacious double that over looks the garden
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Redhill, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed for one night at this cosy & quiet family run restaurant with rooms. The food was fantastic, not pretentious, just good quality food. The staff for both the evening meal and breakfast were friendly and helpful providing an excellent service. The warming wood burning stove was a great place to sit in the comfy sofas and make our selection from the well thought out menu - I had the Plaice which was delicious. We finished with the award winning cheeseboard which the chef came out and described every cheese and its origin! The rooms were well equipped (jolly pleased to find an iPhone docking station), although mobile phone signal is limited in Cranborne! The bed was large and extremely comfortable and the bathroom was newly decorated with a superb walk in shower. We would definitely recommend La Fosse.

Room Tip: Old Winchester has a lovely sitting room adjoining it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Skegness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed two very comfortable nights at this 'restaurant with rooms' as it describes itself in the very quiet village of Cranborne. The building is unremarkable from the outside but walking in the door is like walking into a bit of a time warp. Very olde worlde with beams, old furniture, setees, bookcases etc, not to everyones taste but very atmospheric. All the rooms are named after cheeses for some reason and ours was situated on the first floor at the front of the building and was very spacious. The bed was huge and very comfortable. Our bathroom was again very spacious situated separately across from the bedroom (but still within the privacy of what was more like a suite really) with a large double shower. Breakfast was served in the restaurant which was again full of character and olde worlde charm. There was a choice of cereals, breads, crumpets, croissants, juices and home made marmalades and jam for starters from the buffet followed by a choice of cooked breakfasts which were sufficient to set you up for the day. To sum up, the decor might not be to everyones taste and in places was a little tired but we could not fault the comfort or the sevice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This is a small family run restaurant with rooms. I stayed for one night and I found the experience superb, Delicious locally sourced food and reasonably priced good wines made for a splendid evening meal topped off with a wonderful cheese board. I managed a cooked breakfast which was of the same high standard. My room was spacious, clean and comfortable, with all the facilities of larger hotels. In all an charming, cosy and welcoming place ideal for a weekend away.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Weimar, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I spent lately 2 days at La Fosse and feel I have to express my gratitute for the warnly welcome and perfect accomodation I enjoyed.
Mark, Emmanuelle his wife and even her lovely little daughter Amelie were all smiles to welcome me. I had a single room decorated with taste with a newly refurbished bathroom.
The diner was excellent and so was breakfast. I was so relaxing to seat by the fireplace and enjoy a late drink after diner. Well I was so to speak at home !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Towcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stars are difficult, a lot of good bits, but an ability to let them selves down too. The water pressure is low so I did not wash my hair because it would take so long to get the soap out afterwards. I avoided using the soaps provided because, in spite of looking high quality, they contained most of the same chemicals to which I am allergic as cheap super market shampoos do.
The tea and coffee arrangements in the room seemed good in that the tea was labelled "Dorset Tea", which I assume was good, it was certainly easy on the pallet, but the milk is about 10m away the corridor! When you check in the arrangement looks quirky and amusing. The next morning it looks damd stupid. Firstly you need to get dressed before you can get a coffee and secondly I do not like yogurt in my coffee - the milk, which stood out all night, had turned into solid lumps. I got the impression that the establishment takes a pride in being out of date. If they must economise and provide 1 litre of milk for all their guests to share, they should at least buy a mini fridge to stop it going off over night!
By and large the breakfast good, although once again spoilt by detail. We had to send the cold coffee back, it would have saved them money to have got it right in the first place. The breakfasts would not win a hygiene award! Shared jam pots went out when rationing ended. The idea of salt and peper in open pots that you scoop out with your fingers is hygine nightmare. What a shame that an imaginative menu, with well cooked local food was let down by pointless gimmicks.
Would I go back? Probably provided I remembered to take fresh milk, soap, salt and pepper, which isn't,t really what you expect for about £100 for B&B.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
LondonHouse, Owner at La Fosse at Cranborne, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry your experience was not up to our usual standard which has gained us 39 excellent and 9 very good responses on Tripadvisor, a place in the Good Food Guide 2013, finals of this years "The Best Dorset Restaurant" Awards, Winner of "Best Dorset Recipe" Awards for this year and Winner of "Best Dorset Cheese board" for past two years.
I remember, that you checked in early at 11am to go to a function and came back very late at night. At check in we explained to you that we would not give you any milk in the flask (which we do for all our guests to have in their bedroom), as it was so early and the milk would turn, but that we would leave some milk on the landing for you to help yourself on your late return (as you had the front door key). The milk on the landing was on ice in a cooler.
Regarding the salt and pepper pots, which are handmade by our local potter, we so far had no one ever in the 6 years trading complain about them. The open pots for breakfast you are referring to is only one homemade marmalade which is open in a dish on the buffet. All other jams where on your tabls in little sealed pots, unopened.
Your pointless "gimmick" I have no idea what this refers to, as we do not have any "gimmick" on the plates.
It is a shame that on your departure you said that everything was fine, instead of giving your comments and feedback directly to us face to face, especially since either myself or my husband always see every guest during their stay and on departure and ask if everything was alright, which gives everyone ample opportunities to express their views to us in person.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We had an enjoyable one night stay at La Fosse. We received a very warm welcome and it is apparent that quality produce has been sourced to enable tasty meals to be served. We enjoyed an excellent bottle of wine from the comprehensive list. It would be fair to say some of the comments on this website we would agree with as it is in need of redecoration. Chairs in dining room not very comfortable. Weeds in front of property should be removed. Overall the decor needs to be freshened up as this lets the proprietors down.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to La Fosse at Cranborne? Share your experiences!