“Say it as I see it” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Launceston
Yealmpton, United Kingdom
“Say it as I see it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I recently stayed at the White Hart when requiring a central located room for the night with a bit more comfort than a friend's sofa. I am a seasoned traveller and have stayed in a range of places, my room was adequate but I feel the need to share some points with others who may intend to stay longer or come with high expectations.

The well trodden carpets, uneven floor boards and small corridors did add character to the buliding but the huge patch of mould in the ceiling outside my room did not. The room was very warm with the smell of damp mingled with stale cigarette smoke. I headed straight for a shower where I found an interesting black pattern on the window blind, designer damp?! While I got ready I watched the t.v., which served its purpose but was several years old, requiring a digi box. On returning to the hotel later that night I wakled to the back entrance for which I had been given a code for the door, this was not required the door was open looking like it had been forced with one one of glass cracked, this did not look as it if had been done that night but just not fixed. The room was very clean and sheets cosy however the feather pillows were extremely lumpy, while it is nice to find feather pillows in a hotel I had to question whether they were lumpy from damp or age. Breakfast in the morning was served in a very dated dining room although I enjoyed sitting looking around, imagining the hotel bustling back in the 80s. I had a full english which looked as if it may have been cooked to order a few hours earlier however not being a fussy eater I was satisfied.

I would stay again if needs must but found my room at £46 a little pricey. A new window blind, some bleach on the damp spots, new pillows, a flat screen telly, fixed bak door and slightly fresher breakfast would make it worth the money.

Room Tip: I believe the place is being refurbed so one of the newer rooms would be best but then watch out for...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Fareham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

My partner booked this hotel as a birthday treat and we throroughly enjoyed our stay.... Yes the hotel is a bit dated but the accommodation was comfortable and the breakfast each morning was great . The staff are friendly and the hotel is ideally situated in the town centre... I would stay again.

Room Tip: We had room 32 which was at the back of the hotel but was quiet which was probably a good thing as s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Millbrook, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The hotel is in the centre of Launceston, it was quiet, with a small market outside. Decor is really dated and hasn't changed since I first stayed there over 20years ago. The floors are uneven, and corridors lead who knows where but in saying that it was clean, tidy, friendly staff, and great food. It is what is and that's just fine. ;-)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Crewe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

When we arrived in the car park at the White Hart Hotel on Sept 25th 2012 we were greeted by Pam the manageress. We made our way through the back of the hotel to the reception where we were welcomed by Linda the receptionist who gave us the keys to our room and directions how to get there. We discovered a labyrinth of passages and stairs, our room seemed a long way away from reception but being an old hotel with no lift added to its charm. Our room was very nice but dated as it was one of the rooms waiting to be refurbished but there was everything we needed. We did however change rooms as there wasn't adequate heating and also the bed wasn't very comfortable. The staff couldn't do enough to help us settle in another room were the heating was great. Unfortunately though the bed looked more comfortable it was no better than the bed in our first room, though this room had been refurbished they had not changed the bed they resolved this problem pro-tem with a mattress topper this was done immediately and from then on we had no more problems.
There was a good choice of breakfasts and evening meals all of which were delicious. We stayed there for eight days during which time we got to know all the staff who were all very friendly and helpful,nothing was to much trouble for them. At sometime in the future we will return to the White Hart Hotel.

Room Tip: Again there are NO LIFTS.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Aldershot, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have just returned from a brief stay at The White Hart Hotel in Launceston Cornwall .
Myself , my Wife and 2 daughters stayed overnight while attending a funeral .
The exterior looks perfect , just what you would expect in a old County town , with a castle and medieval church , but never judge a book by it,s cover.
Dirty , run down , dated , dodgy plumbing ,this place has it all.I am sure with a small fortune spent on it then it would be all you expect when you book but the fact that this is $100 a night , as an Englishman who welcomes tourism , and Cornwall really needs it , please ,my transatlantic cousins , and any closer to home , do not stay here.
Find another hotel or b and b and enjoy your time in Cornwall .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
darrenpeake, Owner at White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear oldmanmethley,

I was very disappointed to read your review, and find out that your stay with us was not all you expected it to be.

We took over the Hotel from the previous tenant approximately 12 months ago, after a very long period of neglect, and we are working very hard to bring the building and its facilities to a much higher standard. As you have mentioned, the exterior has not long been finished and is only the first part of a major refurbishment programme.

Having checked against your reservation, it become apparent that the room you and your family were allocated is not one of our refurbished rooms. Unfortunately the weekend you visited us, we were at full occupancy, many of the guests attending the same family event as yourselves, and had to make full use of all rooms available. Whilst this is not a situation we welcome, it is necessary when we are busy.

During your visit we did experienced a serious fault with our heating & hot water systems. We had emergency engineers on site as soon as possible to rectify the problem, which unfortunately did take some time. I am assured that this information was passed to all guests including those who reported the problem, or returned to the hotel that evening. I would like to apologise on behalf of my staff if the information was not communicated to yourself or your family at the time.

I'm also aware that you feel our pricing for accommodation is on the high side, but a quick check will show that for the size and location of the property we are very competitive in our area.

We were also disappointed not to be able to accommodate some other members of the family who wished to extend their stay for an extra night, due to our being fully booked for the rest of the week. Again, I would like to apologise that your visit to Launceston, on what must have been a very sad family occasion, was not all you expected.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We have stayed at The White Hart Hotel every time we have visited Cornwall. We very much enjoy being based right in the centre of Launceston in a hotel that has an historical background. We have never been disappointed in the accommodation or the food. Particular praise is due to the staff who go out of the way to be helpful and friendly. We have never been disappointed and plan to stay there on all future visits to Cornwall.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This stay was my third visit to the White Heart with a group of Buckinghamshire golfers who have stayed at this hotel for around thirty consecutive years (which says it all)As usual, we were all made to feel welcome, especially by the Manageress Pam. For a group of golfers I don' t think you could better this as a base for golfing in Cornwall. Also the hotel makes all the golf arrangements and gets consistently good deals. Whilst being a Hotel on Fridays and Saturdays the bar is one of the focal points for locals which gives it an appearance of a pub with many rooms rather than a
hotel.The food ( from the super sized beakfasts to a good choice of evening meals)is excellent and wholesome and overall the golfing package represented good value for money. In the past this hotel-like many others privately owned- has appeared somewhat tired,but attempts have been made to refurb and freshen up the rooms. I could not see myself and my wife visiting the hotel for a holiday per se as launceston itself seems a very quiet town, but if you are looking for a value for money short trip with a view to sightseeing or a stop over on the way to deepest Cornwall you could do a lot worse.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!