“What a Gem - A must go to if in the area” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Cork, Ireland
“What a Gem - A must go to if in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stumbled upon this place over the weekend. Expectations weren't very high as the village itself is small and quaint so was expecting the usual country style cafe - how wrong was I. This place can stand proudly long side some of the best restaurants around.
The menu was varied and interesting with a specific menu for kids which included more than the usual everything with chips. I had the bruschetta, which had a twist by including Clonakility Pudding, slice of bacon and more. It was just what I needed to fill me up for the remainder of the afternoon. My friend had the open crab sandwich which had a very generous amount of crab on it. Everyone enjoyed their lunch, not one person could fault it and the kids were just as well looked after. Staff were warm, welcoming and easy going.
If in the area, this place is worth visiting, you won't be disappointed. Food is sublime without the pretentiousness that so many places bring with them when you offer food at such a high level. Go, go, go and see for yourself what a delight this place really is.

• Visited September 2013

“Middle of the road”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Stopped for quick lunch was anything but quick no one approached us as we entered so stood like lemons for couple of mins untill we found our own table were then informed they sold out of 3 main dishes it was only half one so with limited choice husband went for soup and sandwich I went for goats cheese and beet root salad which I had to order brown bread as extra and a coffee soup and my coffee came quick enough but 15 mins later still no salad or sandwich very disappointing waitress asked was he finished his soup I nearly laughed didn't realise it was a starter!! Salad was fresh but at €7 for small version poor value. No apologies for delays staff seemed more concerned with pleasing the locals

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Joe H, General Manager at The Market House Cafe, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Hello Kcur.
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. I am sorry that you had an unsatisfactory experience when you visited us. It is far from what we strive for. We try to have a full menu, and a few Specials on the Blackboard so that there is a good choice for a substantial and tasty Lunch...We did put on more summer dishes as Specials instead of our Chicken & Chorizo Pie, and our Pork Chops for the hottest part of summer. As for the Service, again it sounds like you were not looked after as good as we would like. All I can say is that for the most part we have had a lot of positive comments for both our food and service, and I would hope that we would get another chance to provide you with a better experience. We really value and enjoy meeting all our customers.
Regards, Joe
offaly
“Fantastic food at a reasonable price, loved it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here recently for breakfast while passing through. We both had bacon and eggs which was simple but suberb. Everything was served together so the toast was hot (a bit of a novelty!). Beautiful selection of jams and the nicest latte I've had in a long time. All priced very reasonably. I'm staying in Rosscarbery for a wedding in August and I'm already looking forward to returning to the Market house.

• Visited July 2013
Bonn
“Amazing food & wonderful atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We've been to the Market House Cafe in May and found out it is just the perfect place for eating out in Ross. No matter what time of the day, the food was always tasty and freshly prepared. You can go there for a cup of coffee and a scone in the morning (or a full Irish as a hearty option). At lunch time Maureen and Nathan offer a variety of sandwichs, salat, soup and their daily specials are always worth a try! A kinds menu is also available for small ones - as well as crayons to bridge the time until the meals are served. For a sweet thooths in the afternoon I can warmly recommend Nathans cakes - I fell in love with the toffee one. ;-)
Just a last comment on the interior: I really liked the atmosphere and most of all the blue striped tea cosies in the cupboard. ;-)

• Visited May 2013
skibbereen
“Thought it was a fast foody place, but far from it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised the food was lovely and tasty with local produce and nice breads. I had the sourdough sandwich, which was lovely and a parsnips honey soup, very nice. Would recommend this restaurant, its a nice addition to Roscarbery and not too pricy.

• Visited June 2013