“The best vacation spot ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa

Save Saved
You added Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa to your Saves list
Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Westmoreland | Savanna La Mar, White House 5000, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$335 Instant Air Credit!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Roseville, California
“The best vacation spot ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

My husband and I were lucky enough to go here for our honeymoon in January 2013 (I know it was 2014, sorry), and let me tell you, the pictures speak for themselves. This place is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous and the pictures are true to what the resort looks like, maybe don't even do it justice!

Every single person on staff is friendly, amazing, and always smiling!! We felt so welcomed the minute we stepped off the plane! The drive from the airport was a bit long, but I enjoyed seeing the island of Jamaica, and it gave us time to relax on the bus before all the excitement of reaching the resort.

The food was fantastic!! The beach and water were gorgeous, and we LOVED the jerk station for an afternoon snack... so yummy!

It was the most pampered and relaxed we have ever been and we dream of going back there soon!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,272)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Sandals Whitehouse is an excellent property set amongst beautiful gardens and a backdrop of mountains and ocean. Traveled here with my husband for our honeymoon May 19-26 and it was truly a great experience.

The drive to the resort on the Sandals shuttle is really no big deal. I quite enjoyed the scenery along the way and the windy roads were all part of seeing the beautiful country side in Jamaica.

Check in was long, but easy. The staff were dealing with issues due to the roads into Whitehouse being closed earlier in the day (preventing staff and customers from getting to the hotel earlier in the day), therefore, not all the rooms were ready as soon as we arrived. That said, we didn't have to wait too long. Within 30 minutes, we had our room.

We stayed in the French Village in the 2nd lowest category room (no butler service) on the 3rd floor. The room was basic, but very clean - bed and linens were very comfy. We had a nice view of the pool and small view of the ocean. We really didn't feel we needed a butler as once you step outside your room, anything you could want is waiting for you (drinks, food, etc).

Pools at this resort are really nice. Specifically the main pool with the swim up bar. We enjoyed that the pools never closed. Every night at sunset we would take a swim and enjoy the hot tub at the French pool until dinner time.

Beach is BEAUTIFUL to look at, however, it was disappointing that it was not swimmable. Very murky water with a lot of sea grass and many jellies washed up on the shore. We rented a private cabana on the beach for our second last day and I highly recommend this experience. For $125 you get a full day in a private cabana with your very own Beach Butler to attend to you - getting drinks, lunch etc. Our Cabana was fully stocked upon arrival as per all the r food and drink requests we had made when we booked it. Romaine our Beach Butler was super nice and very attentive. I would choose a day or two or three of having the Beach Cabana over booking a butler room for the week.

Food was great throughout the resort. Our favorites were the jerk pit, Bluefields, Elanores, the buffet at breakfast and surprisingly, Giuseppe's (Italian) was pretty amazing. We were not super fond of Neptune's or the French Brasserie. The Cafe De Paris is also an amazing food spot serving the tastiest coffees, pastries and crepes all day.

Bars were decent and drinks tasty (not too sugary if you asked). Our favorite was the Neptune's outdoor bar. The bartender Copeland who worked there was quite entertaining. We found the Martini Bar to be way too over air conditioned (to the point where it was unpleasant) and also a bit of a lame, sad place. We avoided this one.

The Garden tour with Oshoi (every morning) is AMAZING. Don't miss this. Oshoi gives the most informative tour about not only the gardens he maintains at SWH, but throws in many tid bits about Jamaican culture and history and even sings some Bob Marley and Peter Tosh. Oshoi is not only great at his job, but he is also a genuinely nice person. Don't miss him at the beach party either - he's the guy hacking the coconuts and serving them with either straight up coconut water or rum.

As many other reviews have stated, it's the staff that makes this place. From the lifeguard staff to the entertainers, everyone we met was so welcoming and sincerely wanted to get to know us. Demar (water lifeguard), Keon (bartender), Romaine (Beach Butler), Cheldon/Angelita/Owana/Prince (entertainers), Fiona (Elanores Waitress) and Oshoi (Gardener) - thanks for making our experience at SWH extra great.

We were sad to leave on our last day...almost shed a tear when the staff came out to our bus and sang a GOOD BYE SONG!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed July 14-21 in room 3410 (French side, 4th floor). This is a regular room with a view/balcony mostly facing the pool.

Pros: RELAXING!- this is a slow time for the resort so it was not crowded at all. Laying by the pool or the ocean everyday is exactly what we were looking for, and we got it. The room was extremely quiet and very clean. The pool and pool area was always clean. The staff is extremely nice. The bartenders at the French pool were the best! The grounds are immaculate and the staff is out there everyday to keep it that way. The weather was great, we only had light rain one day. The food was pretty good in all the restaurants (sometime we did have to wait quite a long time for food). The menu never changes so you can visit various ones without missing food items from other restaurants. I loved the different specialty cocktails the restaurants served. The steel drum show was the best event of the week, the other show are just okay. Snorkeling is a must! The reef contains many fish and other wildlife. I saw a sea turtle while snorkeling.
The Mobay Lounge at the airport is worth every cent! Our flight got delayed four hours, the lounge was a Godsend!!

Cons: Long bus ride to and from hotel. Pool towels become hard to come by as the day goes on. Some people were taking 2-3 towels each and by 6pm there are no towels to come by. The pool bars also close at 6pm, so it pretty much felt like the pool was off limits after this time. The beach by the shore is extremely murky. You cannot see into the water and a few people were stung by jellyfish (if you like clear water, this sandals is not for you). The walk from the French side is quite long to the main area, so that can get old on hot days. Dress code for men at the restaurants (especially Eleanor's). Housekeeping comes at random times throughout the stay, we went up to take a nap at 2pm and they were in the room cleaning. They had locals on the property on various days selling merchandise which is exactly what we wanted to avoid by coming to this hotel

Room Tip: Bring you own mugs for drinks so you can enjoy a larger cocktail! Go for a walk on the beach off th...
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was very impressed with this place. Service was great, staff extremely friendly & accommodating. Saw earlier posts regarding homophobia & although I'm heterosexual, I took my best girlfriend after my husband passed away in 2013. Needed a vacation! In fact, my friend & I pretended to be newlyweds & everyone was completely ok with it (maybe because we're females). Had the drinks not been free, we would've had many bought for us. :-)
The food was much better than I expected (& I'm picky). I have only two complaints: THE DRINKS ARE WATERED DOWN! I'm the heaviest drinker of the group & after three triple vodkas with no buzz, I knew something was amiss. My friends were drinking doubles & noticed the same. A "double" in TX will give me a buzz. Who knows.....maybe my liver is thanking me.
The other issue was internet service. The resorts service provider was down frequently & after the storm rolled through with power outage (not for long), my plugged in IPad & Sound Conditioner stopped working. I let their IT person take both devices (they were ON IT) when I inquired. Both were delivered back to me within hours, fixed, & my internet charge taken off my bill.
Although not allowed to tip, I did leave money for the maid with room stocking requests. The money sat on the table the entire time.....they wouldn't take it. Don't get me wrong. There are those that will accept tips but it's done under the table, so to speak.
All in all, great experience & I highly recommend Honeymoon Suite. After all, I just got married, right?
My friend toured Sandals Negril. She said there's no comparison to Whitehouse. I felt safe, was safe, & had a blast! Hope this helps!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Do not! I repeat DO NOT allow someone to lead you away from this amazing place by a bad review! We have been here twice and LOVE coming here! There are minor issues that some call major. Some sand washing away from part of the beach. Heck, it's about 3 miles long and there is plenty of beach and not an overwhelming number of people! Food/entertainment/wonderful rooms/pools/scuba/snorkeling/paddle boarding/sailing and a lot more for a reasonable price! We will come back again! If you come.....find Copeland and he will entertain you!
Just do it!

Stayed July 2014
Labrador City, NL Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I travelled to Sandals Whitehouse from July 2-12 to celebrate our 21st anniversary.

ABOUT US
We are both in our mid forties, and have travelled quite extensively in the Caribbean. We are Platinum Sandals members and received our 70 night free week trip while at SWH. We have been to Sandals Grand Riviera, Sandals Negril (twice), Sandals Grande St Lucian, and Beaches Turks & Caicos (twice). As well as these Sandals / Beaches vacations, we have travelled to Mexico, Dominican Republic (three times), Cuba (four times), as well as several cruises.

GETTING THERE
We flew Air Canada Rouge for the first time, out of Toronto with a direct flight into Montego Bay. The flight was quite comfortable and I will post a separate review on AC Rouge. Upon arrival at the airport, we were greeted by our Club Mobay rep who hurried us through a 90 minute lineup in about 15 minutes. She then brought us to the Sandals Lounge but went across to the Mobay Lounge to get us a couple of rum punch as they only have beer in the Sandals Lounge (very nice touch on her part). I had booked the helicopter transfer but unfortunately the weather was terrible in Mobay when we landed so they were not flying. They did however refund our money on the spot (a brown envelope with cash in it lol) and gave us a private transfer to the resort. I found the ride to be ok but if we had been prepared my wife would have taken some Gravol as she ended up getting pretty queasy towards the end of the ride.

ARRIVAL
We were greeted in the lobby by one of our butlers, David who gave us a quick tour of the resort on our way to the room. We were in room 1425 in the Italian Village with a large corner balcony that was perfect for us. Once he offered to unpack (which we refused lol), he quickly finished off the registration for us, handed us the phone to call him with, and we slipped into our swim gear to head to the beach for a drink before supper. Very smooth check in process and our room location could not be beat.

ROOM
We were in a penthouse butler suite and it was just as I had imagined, maybe even better. One of the reasons we booked the butler service was for the room category that comes with it. Many say that they don’t spend a lot of time in the room, so it doesn’t matter but for us we spend an hour before dinner getting ready, and enjoy a bit of time before breakfast sitting on the patio. We really enjoyed the separate bedroom as my wife goes to bed earlier than I do so I can read or watch television without bothering her. I also like the stocked bar with selections we made on our butler preference form, as well as the Jacuzzi tub and walk in shower.

MEALS
I do not spend a lot of time reviewing the food at the resorts, quite simply because what I like as far as food goes may not be what others like. However, my wife and I both agreed that the meals we had at this resort were fantastic and we did not once taste something we didn’t like. All the food is top quality and some of the best we have eaten anywhere. I particularly enjoyed the breakfast at Bayside (my favourite being the oatmeal), the seafood pizza at Guisseppes for lunch, and the steak at Eleanor’s for supper (with the lobster/shrimp combo at Bluefield’s being a close second). The drinks at all the bars were top quality and you could have them as strong or as weak as you want.

RESORT
The resort is very well laid out and there is a place for everyone. We spent each morning walking on the private beach – there were a couple of mornings where we were the only ones there. When the tide is out you can walk very far by just wading through the water around a few trees. We spent most of our time at the Dutch pool as we are very low key people and don’t really enjoy the loud games and partying. We would have our butler set us up on the beach each day with a cooler of drinks and we would walk over to the pool to get in the cool water. The beach is eroding very fast in the Dutch area, but the whole 10 days we were there they were bringing in sand to remedy the situation and it looks like it will be a good fix

BUTLERS
I was very reluctant at the beginning to book the butler service, as I feel that my wife and I are so low key that we would not take advantage of it. We did only call our butlers three or four times but I found the experience to be very enjoyable. Our butlers were David and Camille and right off the bat we fell in love with both of them and formed some very strong friendships. They are two very honest and hard working individuals and love what they do. As I mentioned earlier, the main reason I booked the butler level was for the room, but we also had the opportunity to have our chairs reserved at the beach, a full cooler of beer and water, snacks brought to us as we lounged, escorted to our reserved and nicely decorated table at dinner, a bath drawn for us with flowers and candles around the room, and a daily drink brought to the beach at 12:00 noon each day. I really loved the experience and so did my wife. We’re not so sure we will do it again but it will depend on which resort and what the advantage will be (reserved restaurants, room categories, etc).

VARIOUS
Some of the things not mentioned above that we did or did not like:
-We were not too fond of the returning guest dinner. Though we did meet some nice people at our table, we found the staff to be cold and uninterested. There was no mention of future projects as we usually hear and the staff rep that they placed at our table seemed like she didn’t want to be there. The food was excellent however.
-We really enjoyed the helicopter ride back and would recommend it to anyone. We left about 90 minutes after the shuttle did and were able to stay in our room with our luggage until our 11:00 check out. Others had to have their bags outside by 8:30 and take the shuttle at 10:00 (our ride left at 11:30)
-We loved the local craft people that visited the resort and brought home some nice wood carvings, sandals, and some jewelry
-We did not swim in the water much as we found it to be quite rocky as you enter. It was also quite murky as there were doing a lot of dredging to fix the eroded beach
-The evening entertainment was so-so but the highlight was the Silver Birds steel drum band. Do not miss this show, it is phenomenal! The club / butler cocktail party, on the other hand was very lame and we didn’t really enjoy it.
All in all, Sandals Whitehouse has quickly become one of our favourite spots (a close tie with St Lucia) and we hope to go back some day. We were considering that for our free week but feel that we would like to try a different location such as Antigua.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

If you’ve read any reviews you know the ride is on a bumpy, winding road. The last stretch feels like the road was barely big enough for one car, let alone two. We enjoyed seeing the countryside and took some Dramamine before we left the airport, which seemed to help. I would not advise traveling the road at night, simply for the curves, bumps and lack of street lighting.

The rooms did not have that “wow” factor you want when you’re on vacation. Quite honestly, we felt that they were no better than an old La Quinta here in the States (actually, we’ve stayed at nicer La Quinta’s). They did not do a thorough job cleaning the floors as there were some small dead insects in the bathroom. No biggie, they could have just sprayed. Also, there was a hole about an inch big in the fitted sheet on our first night. The hole wasn’t big enough to complain to management, but it illustrates the quality of the room. In all fairness, we did not upgrade and had the lowest level of room.

There are no waiters around the pool…you must go to the bar to get your own drink, which was fine because the bar staff was incredible. AnnaKay, Renaldo and Kevin were outstanding! They’d get really busy, but you just learned to time your trips to the bar accordingly. The drinks are strong, in fact most of the time we had to ask for “just a little rum” because they loved to keep pouring until the glass was about ½ full.

We never had any problem finding 5 chairs together around the pool (not in the shade). We did not get out there until around 9:30 and there were plenty open. Entertainment staff around the pool did a nice job during the day.

The beach also had plenty of chairs available. We had a few friends in our group get stung by something, but none of them were in enough pain to seek any type of treatment.

The shows at night were a lot of fun and quite entertaining. We really enjoyed the steel drum night.

Food was good and in fact, none of us ever had a bad meal. The breakfast bar was a little lacking and set up in an awkward layout, but the food was decent. We’ve traveled several times to Mexico and from time to time experience stomach “issues”. None of that here. Felt fine the entire time.

The resort never seemed crowded. Even with a party of 10 we were seated quickly and together at the restaurants.

Our entire group enjoyed the trip and were glad we went, but agreed that we would try another location next year. The stay was just average...not "bad" in any way, just nothing really outstanding or exceptional.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor, which was right in the tree line. I would imagine the 1st or 3rd...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa? Share your experiences!