“First Trip to Sandals Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa

Save Saved
You added Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa to your Saves list
Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Westmoreland | Savanna La Mar, White House 5000, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$305 Spa/Tour Credit!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Dallas, Texas
“First Trip to Sandals Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was very impressed with this place. Service was great, staff extremely friendly & accommodating. Saw earlier posts regarding homophobia & although I'm heterosexual, I took my best girlfriend after my husband passed away in 2013. Needed a vacation! In fact, my friend & I pretended to be newlyweds & everyone was completely ok with it (maybe because we're females). Had the drinks not been free, we would've had many bought for us. :-)
The food was much better than I expected (& I'm picky). I have only two complaints: THE DRINKS ARE WATERED DOWN! I'm the heaviest drinker of the group & after three triple vodkas with no buzz, I knew something was amiss. My friends were drinking doubles & noticed the same. A "double" in TX will give me a buzz. Who knows.....maybe my liver is thanking me.
The other issue was internet service. The resorts service provider was down frequently & after the storm rolled through with power outage (not for long), my plugged in IPad & Sound Conditioner stopped working. I let their IT person take both devices (they were ON IT) when I inquired. Both were delivered back to me within hours, fixed, & my internet charge taken off my bill.
Although not allowed to tip, I did leave money for the maid with room stocking requests. The money sat on the table the entire time.....they wouldn't take it. Don't get me wrong. There are those that will accept tips but it's done under the table, so to speak.
All in all, great experience & I highly recommend Honeymoon Suite. After all, I just got married, right?
My friend toured Sandals Negril. She said there's no comparison to Whitehouse. I felt safe, was safe, & had a blast! Hope this helps!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,260)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Do not! I repeat DO NOT allow someone to lead you away from this amazing place by a bad review! We have been here twice and LOVE coming here! There are minor issues that some call major. Some sand washing away from part of the beach. Heck, it's about 3 miles long and there is plenty of beach and not an overwhelming number of people! Food/entertainment/wonderful rooms/pools/scuba/snorkeling/paddle boarding/sailing and a lot more for a reasonable price! We will come back again! If you come.....find Copeland and he will entertain you!
Just do it!

Stayed July 2014
Labrador City, NL Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I travelled to Sandals Whitehouse from July 2-12 to celebrate our 21st anniversary.

ABOUT US
We are both in our mid forties, and have travelled quite extensively in the Caribbean. We are Platinum Sandals members and received our 70 night free week trip while at SWH. We have been to Sandals Grand Riviera, Sandals Negril (twice), Sandals Grande St Lucian, and Beaches Turks & Caicos (twice). As well as these Sandals / Beaches vacations, we have travelled to Mexico, Dominican Republic (three times), Cuba (four times), as well as several cruises.

GETTING THERE
We flew Air Canada Rouge for the first time, out of Toronto with a direct flight into Montego Bay. The flight was quite comfortable and I will post a separate review on AC Rouge. Upon arrival at the airport, we were greeted by our Club Mobay rep who hurried us through a 90 minute lineup in about 15 minutes. She then brought us to the Sandals Lounge but went across to the Mobay Lounge to get us a couple of rum punch as they only have beer in the Sandals Lounge (very nice touch on her part). I had booked the helicopter transfer but unfortunately the weather was terrible in Mobay when we landed so they were not flying. They did however refund our money on the spot (a brown envelope with cash in it lol) and gave us a private transfer to the resort. I found the ride to be ok but if we had been prepared my wife would have taken some Gravol as she ended up getting pretty queasy towards the end of the ride.

ARRIVAL
We were greeted in the lobby by one of our butlers, David who gave us a quick tour of the resort on our way to the room. We were in room 1425 in the Italian Village with a large corner balcony that was perfect for us. Once he offered to unpack (which we refused lol), he quickly finished off the registration for us, handed us the phone to call him with, and we slipped into our swim gear to head to the beach for a drink before supper. Very smooth check in process and our room location could not be beat.

ROOM
We were in a penthouse butler suite and it was just as I had imagined, maybe even better. One of the reasons we booked the butler service was for the room category that comes with it. Many say that they don’t spend a lot of time in the room, so it doesn’t matter but for us we spend an hour before dinner getting ready, and enjoy a bit of time before breakfast sitting on the patio. We really enjoyed the separate bedroom as my wife goes to bed earlier than I do so I can read or watch television without bothering her. I also like the stocked bar with selections we made on our butler preference form, as well as the Jacuzzi tub and walk in shower.

MEALS
I do not spend a lot of time reviewing the food at the resorts, quite simply because what I like as far as food goes may not be what others like. However, my wife and I both agreed that the meals we had at this resort were fantastic and we did not once taste something we didn’t like. All the food is top quality and some of the best we have eaten anywhere. I particularly enjoyed the breakfast at Bayside (my favourite being the oatmeal), the seafood pizza at Guisseppes for lunch, and the steak at Eleanor’s for supper (with the lobster/shrimp combo at Bluefield’s being a close second). The drinks at all the bars were top quality and you could have them as strong or as weak as you want.

RESORT
The resort is very well laid out and there is a place for everyone. We spent each morning walking on the private beach – there were a couple of mornings where we were the only ones there. When the tide is out you can walk very far by just wading through the water around a few trees. We spent most of our time at the Dutch pool as we are very low key people and don’t really enjoy the loud games and partying. We would have our butler set us up on the beach each day with a cooler of drinks and we would walk over to the pool to get in the cool water. The beach is eroding very fast in the Dutch area, but the whole 10 days we were there they were bringing in sand to remedy the situation and it looks like it will be a good fix

BUTLERS
I was very reluctant at the beginning to book the butler service, as I feel that my wife and I are so low key that we would not take advantage of it. We did only call our butlers three or four times but I found the experience to be very enjoyable. Our butlers were David and Camille and right off the bat we fell in love with both of them and formed some very strong friendships. They are two very honest and hard working individuals and love what they do. As I mentioned earlier, the main reason I booked the butler level was for the room, but we also had the opportunity to have our chairs reserved at the beach, a full cooler of beer and water, snacks brought to us as we lounged, escorted to our reserved and nicely decorated table at dinner, a bath drawn for us with flowers and candles around the room, and a daily drink brought to the beach at 12:00 noon each day. I really loved the experience and so did my wife. We’re not so sure we will do it again but it will depend on which resort and what the advantage will be (reserved restaurants, room categories, etc).

VARIOUS
Some of the things not mentioned above that we did or did not like:
-We were not too fond of the returning guest dinner. Though we did meet some nice people at our table, we found the staff to be cold and uninterested. There was no mention of future projects as we usually hear and the staff rep that they placed at our table seemed like she didn’t want to be there. The food was excellent however.
-We really enjoyed the helicopter ride back and would recommend it to anyone. We left about 90 minutes after the shuttle did and were able to stay in our room with our luggage until our 11:00 check out. Others had to have their bags outside by 8:30 and take the shuttle at 10:00 (our ride left at 11:30)
-We loved the local craft people that visited the resort and brought home some nice wood carvings, sandals, and some jewelry
-We did not swim in the water much as we found it to be quite rocky as you enter. It was also quite murky as there were doing a lot of dredging to fix the eroded beach
-The evening entertainment was so-so but the highlight was the Silver Birds steel drum band. Do not miss this show, it is phenomenal! The club / butler cocktail party, on the other hand was very lame and we didn’t really enjoy it.
All in all, Sandals Whitehouse has quickly become one of our favourite spots (a close tie with St Lucia) and we hope to go back some day. We were considering that for our free week but feel that we would like to try a different location such as Antigua.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

If you’ve read any reviews you know the ride is on a bumpy, winding road. The last stretch feels like the road was barely big enough for one car, let alone two. We enjoyed seeing the countryside and took some Dramamine before we left the airport, which seemed to help. I would not advise traveling the road at night, simply for the curves, bumps and lack of street lighting.

The rooms did not have that “wow” factor you want when you’re on vacation. Quite honestly, we felt that they were no better than an old La Quinta here in the States (actually, we’ve stayed at nicer La Quinta’s). They did not do a thorough job cleaning the floors as there were some small dead insects in the bathroom. No biggie, they could have just sprayed. Also, there was a hole about an inch big in the fitted sheet on our first night. The hole wasn’t big enough to complain to management, but it illustrates the quality of the room. In all fairness, we did not upgrade and had the lowest level of room.

There are no waiters around the pool…you must go to the bar to get your own drink, which was fine because the bar staff was incredible. AnnaKay, Renaldo and Kevin were outstanding! They’d get really busy, but you just learned to time your trips to the bar accordingly. The drinks are strong, in fact most of the time we had to ask for “just a little rum” because they loved to keep pouring until the glass was about ½ full.

We never had any problem finding 5 chairs together around the pool (not in the shade). We did not get out there until around 9:30 and there were plenty open. Entertainment staff around the pool did a nice job during the day.

The beach also had plenty of chairs available. We had a few friends in our group get stung by something, but none of them were in enough pain to seek any type of treatment.

The shows at night were a lot of fun and quite entertaining. We really enjoyed the steel drum night.

Food was good and in fact, none of us ever had a bad meal. The breakfast bar was a little lacking and set up in an awkward layout, but the food was decent. We’ve traveled several times to Mexico and from time to time experience stomach “issues”. None of that here. Felt fine the entire time.

The resort never seemed crowded. Even with a party of 10 we were seated quickly and together at the restaurants.

Our entire group enjoyed the trip and were glad we went, but agreed that we would try another location next year. The stay was just average...not "bad" in any way, just nothing really outstanding or exceptional.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor, which was right in the tree line. I would imagine the 1st or 3rd...
Temecula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was our second trip to the Sandals Whitehouse and one of many to the Sandals resorts in Jamaica. We had the butler service this time "Ainsley and Devonne". We weren't sure what to expect with the service, but throughly enjoyed having the butlers. They reserved our seats by the beach or pool and dinner. We also enjoyed talking with them and getting to know them. Any request was just a phone call away (which they provided). Such fun and now we are spoiled for future trips. Even though Whitehouse is a bit further out, we enjoy the area and beach. Plenty to do or not do at the resort.

Room Tip: We were in 2402 ocean front balcony. Our friends had 2404 which had a corner balcony. The Dutch Vill...
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

It's taken me way to long to post this review and to rave about how much we love this resort.

My husband and I debated between several Sandals resorts and ultimately decided to go back to Whitehouse. While it’s one of the larger properties we’ve been too, it was also one of the best. We were absolutely thrilled that we returned and I cannot say enough about all the changes that they’ve made recently and how amazing the staff is at this resort. We were there celebrating our anniversary and they made sure that we had a special week and a special evening on our anniversary.
I won’t go into great detail about the specifics. I echo so many of the comments here on Trip Advisor. The food is good and there’s a huge selection of places to eat. The beach and the entire resort is beautiful and well maintained, the service is outstanding and the staff is by far, the best of any resort we’ve ever stayed. There are a ton of options at this resort which is one of the reasons that we went back – tons to eat, drink, lots of activities, 3 pools, and overall just a wonderful place to lose yourself.
Several years ago Mr. G took over as the general manager of the resort and we noticed a marked difference from our last visit. He is around ever y day, helping out his staff, talking to folks staying at the resort, and you can tell how much he cares and how much he works with the staff there to make your visit exactly what you want.
Updates - They added some new fire pits around the piazza which is wonderful, lots of extra seating for the evenings and outdoor activities. The Jerk Pit is on the beach and serves delicious jerk chicken and pork during the day. Some of the rooms have been updated in the French village and they are going to add a pub in 2014 we were told during our visit which we have enjoyed at other Sandals locations so we were happy to hear that they would be adding another venue to the resort.
This place is special. The staff are simply amazing. The management at this resort are special and we were beyond impressed. In the past, we had been invited to the manager’s returning guest dinner and hadn’t attended. This year, we decided to go as it was on our last night and we wanted to attend so we could tell the managers how much we had loved every minute of our time during our week stay. It was a super fun evening – if you have a chance and are returning guests who are invited, go! It’s a great time. There were over 150 people at this dinner, which just shows you how many people love Sandals and how special this place really is. We were able to dine with Monica, one of the managers and it was such a fun evening, getting to know her and other couples who have been to Sandals multiple times. There were so many other folks that had been to Whitehouse before – and we all agreed that it’s our home away from home.
Things to definitely do during the week – the Beach Party, White Night, see the steel drum band on Saturday night (they are SO talented and it’s a lot of fun), and make a trip to the Martini bar. Fletcher, Romeo and the other guys will take good care of you. Most fun we’ve had in a long time hanging out with them.
From the moment we got there, until Mr. G and a large group of staff sang to us as we were getting ready to board the bus to the airport and leave, it was simply amazing. I cannot say enough about the wonderful people that work at this resort who work extremely hard to make sure you are having a wonderful vacation. A special thank you our concierge Clive for the special treats on our anniversary and for just checking in all week to see how we were. We felt endlessly blessed and spoiled, it was a perfect week. We cannot wait to go back! Kudos to the staff, management and extraordinary people who work here!! You touched our hearts and we have a very special place in our hearts for each of you.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

It was a wonderful experience for a wedding. I should have asked for handicap accomodations for my husband and mom, as it was difficult for them to walk from the French Village to the restaurants. They moved us to the Italian Village, and that worked out better.

The wedding was better than I imagined. Incredibly touching, personal, meaningful, I was really surprised by how personal it felt to our family. Very hot, very humid, for sure.

They had a hard time working with us as a group that was not 2 couples. Rooms were wrong, and flight transfers were off, but we got them straightened out. I guess it is more of a couples' resort, and that's ok, too.

Glass bottom boat tour failed twice, as they had one engine out, and the next day they told us that we needed to come back at 9:00 in the morning to see anything.

I'm excited to see the photos. It was fantastic to have all the wedding details handled for us.

Amy at Beach Bum Vacations was attentive and detailed. Questions were addressed quickly and respectfully. That was really important, as I get anxious about travel details, especially international travel. :-)

Stayed July 2014

Been to Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa? Share your experiences!