If you’ve read any reviews you know the ride is on a bumpy, winding road. The last stretch feels like the road was barely big enough for one car, let alone two. We enjoyed seeing the countryside and took some Dramamine before we left the airport, which seemed to help. I would not advise traveling the road at night, simply for the curves, bumps and lack of street lighting.
The rooms did not have that “wow” factor you want when you’re on vacation. Quite honestly, we felt that they were no better than an old La Quinta here in the States (actually, we’ve stayed at nicer La Quinta’s). They did not do a thorough job cleaning the floors as there were some small dead insects in the bathroom. No biggie, they could have just sprayed. Also, there was a hole about an inch big in the fitted sheet on our first night. The hole wasn’t big enough to complain to management, but it illustrates the quality of the room. In all fairness, we did not upgrade and had the lowest level of room.
There are no waiters around the pool…you must go to the bar to get your own drink, which was fine because the bar staff was incredible. AnnaKay, Renaldo and Kevin were outstanding! They’d get really busy, but you just learned to time your trips to the bar accordingly. The drinks are strong, in fact most of the time we had to ask for “just a little rum” because they loved to keep pouring until the glass was about ½ full.
We never had any problem finding 5 chairs together around the pool (not in the shade). We did not get out there until around 9:30 and there were plenty open. Entertainment staff around the pool did a nice job during the day.
The beach also had plenty of chairs available. We had a few friends in our group get stung by something, but none of them were in enough pain to seek any type of treatment.
The shows at night were a lot of fun and quite entertaining. We really enjoyed the steel drum night.
Food was good and in fact, none of us ever had a bad meal. The breakfast bar was a little lacking and set up in an awkward layout, but the food was decent. We’ve traveled several times to Mexico and from time to time experience stomach “issues”. None of that here. Felt fine the entire time.
The resort never seemed crowded. Even with a party of 10 we were seated quickly and together at the restaurants.
Our entire group enjoyed the trip and were glad we went, but agreed that we would try another location next year. The stay was just average...not "bad" in any way, just nothing really outstanding or exceptional.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe.Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now.World Travel Awards:Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company”, 16 years in a row.Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row.Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort”Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No.4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012 ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Orbitz, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica