“Not bad...not great either” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa

Save Saved
You added Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa to your Saves list
Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Westmoreland | Savanna La Mar, White House 5000, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$105 Early Booking Bonus!
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in White House
Toronto, Canada
“Not bad...not great either”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Excursions very pricey as the resort is a 2 hour drive from everything. Booked the horseback riding at the whitehouse. When we booked, island tour girl informed us the excursion may not happen as not enough people had signed up. Said she would call the next day to confirm. There was no call so we assumed the trip was off. When we checked out, they charged us for the excursion. Got some attitude from the island tours rep but her boss removed the charges. Must have been a miscommunication and good thing I asked for a copy of the final charges.
When we arrived at the resort we were pleasantly surprised by the grounds, the property is absolutely gorgeous although very dark at night. Told we would receive an upgrade but at the room we found we did not receive one. Room had a weird smell.
As the week went on, we became increasing concerned with the hygiene standards of the resort. The public spaces were often unkempt and the bars all had a rotten fruit/garbage smell with no sterilizing system for the cups! With so many travellers from all over the world, I was totally shocked by this. ummm, hello health canada! I would expect this from cheaper resorts but by no means from sandals.
We also found the service around the resort extremely slow. One night it took us 2 hours to get through dinner. I understand the whole laid back vacation attitude but felt service took too long. We were not overly impressed by any of the food. However, we really enjoyed the Neptune’s restaurant and the Giuseppe’s pizza. We also tried the chocolate crepes from the bakery and they were great. Found the drinks they mixed way too full of alcohol.
When they stocked our fridge, they left 2 bottles of water and when we asked for more it took at least 2 hours to get it. I guess we felt a little ``unimportant``. We didn’t expect to be treated like royalty but it being our honeymoon we did expect to be treated a little better.
Do your research, ask around and dont be taken by the sandals name.

Room Tip: Rooms in the french village are far area when you are wanting food and drink. Pools are beautiful bu...

4,432 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,219)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I decided to spend our anniversary at Sandals Whitehouse. The hour and half trip from the airport was not as bad as we had heard(but some people will complain about anything.) The resort was beautiful, the grounds were pristine, and the staff was excellent. We enjoyed our stay overall but we were a little discouraged that some of the excursions we wanted to do were unavailable because the minimum group number was not met. We were able to do the YS falls and zipline and it was awesome. We would recommend it to anyone up for a little adventure. The guides made the trip very fun and we never felt pressured to buy anything. This was a great trip for us and we recommend this resort.

Room Tip: The Italian village seemed noisy because it was close to the night life and music.
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I had an awesome stay at the Whitehouse this past week. I am a travel agent and only had a night I visit, but wow, do I want to go back!!! The property is large and has fantastic amenities! The endless beach, things to do and places to eat makes this resort so magnificent! We did a site inspection and saw the whole place. I loved the gym, the beach and the restaurant set up the best! Of course the service and food was all fantastic. We were there for the white party and chocolate buffet- fun! The drive from the airport takes some time, but I think it's MORE than worth it!

This resort is perfect for all ages, honeymooners, anniversaries, weddings and group getaways. Do yourself a favor and book your next Jamaican vacation here! You will love it!!!

Room Tip: Be sure to meet Jeffrey, he is so kind and sweet!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was so torn on which resort to pick when we were looking at all of the Sandals resorts for our 10 year anniversary trip. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and am afraid of making the wrong decision (even knowing that with sandals resorts there is NO "wrong" decision possible!). We had previously stayed at Sandals Negril for our honeymoon and absolutely loved it. After much research, spreadsheets and thinking the whole thing to death we decided on Sandals Whitehouse and it is a decision I will never regret. First off I was sold by all of the rooms having an ocean view, and secondly I was sold by it being the only resort for MILES! From the time we landed in Mo Bay we were quickly whisked off by a private car service that we didn't order but it was just our lucky day! Our driver was amazing, asking if we wanted to stop. If you get motion sick be sure to take something, I was glad I did. It's not the driver's fault at all, but they are repaving the roads around there. It was about a 90 minute car ride to the resort. Upon arrival at the resort we were greeted with champagne and rum punch and we officially landed in paradise.

The lobby is absolutely beautiful, and they were quick to get us to our room. We were in a room in the Italian Village on the third floor. If I were to book again I would request the same area and for sure. There was a beautiful and large whirlpool that was very quiet and it was lined with large sunbeds, some shaded, some not. The perfect place to have an afternoon nap or relax before bed. We were close to the restaurants and the main pool, but could not hear the noise of the parties that were going on if we wanted to rest for the night. The rooms were clean and perfect for sleeping, showering and resting... we honestly didn't spend much time in there because there are so many other beautiful places to be on the resort!

The entertainment staff were incredible! I made my husband enter a ring toss game and that was the turning point of our vacation. We met some wonderful couples that we played other games with and dined with. The entertainment crew, Prince, Cheldon and Shane and Geraldine... just to name a few are sure to keep you smiling and having fun. They are genuinely there because they love it and it shows. They are kind hearted, fun spriited individuals that have a lot of talent. My one regret is that we didn't start getting in on the game fun earlier! The friends we met I know we will keep in touch with and some we already have been.

The bartenders, they were awesome! Damien, I hope you get back to Africa with your 12 women, mon! They were always a good laugh. The servers and chefs were great as well. There is something there for everyone, just be realistic with your expectations.

The beaches were fabulous in front of our Italian Village. It wasn't super busy and we were always able to get chairs, whether it was at the main pool, on the beach or under a cabana!

The watersport guys? THANK YOU! I had never paddle boarded, before and they helped us get up and going. We also tried the catamaran for the first time and went out for kayak rides.

The spa was so relaxing and tranquil. We had a soothing couples massage and it was so relaxing. We spent time in the spa after just enjoying our cranberry mimosa and the hot and cold plunge pools.

It's just beautiful, I highly recommend it to any couple looking for something special. You will get that, and more at Sandals Whitehouse!

Room Tip: We loved the room we were in at the Italian Village. They were quiet even when the beach party was...
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My new wife and I spent 7 days at the Sandals Whitehouse Resort in October and we had a great time. First of all, all of the positives. The resort property and grounds were absolutely amazing. Very well maincured and picturesque. The mountains that you can view from the main pool are very pretty. The staff at the resort were phenomenal. They were sure that we were having a great time. And the staff seemed very genuine, not just asking how we were because they were told to do so. The watersports were fun (and free!). Be sure to go sailing - it was a lot of fun to learn and we went everyday. One of the biggest positives was using Beach Bum Vacations (our beach bum was Marcie - – marcie@beachbumvacation.com). They made the trip very easy and even helped us avoid any last minute problems when we forgot our travel documents that they sent to us weeks in advance. I would not hesitate at all to recommend Beach Bum Vacation and Marcie in particular to anyone who may want the comfort of knowing that everything is taken care of.

Really the only two negatives were the room (there was definitely some wear and tear) and the food. We talked to many people at the resort who loved the food so we may be in the minority here but to us, it was a little disappointing. There is a great amount of variety on the resort and there is an endless amount of quantity. I just thought the quality was low. Maybe my expectations were too high. Plus I have to admit that we are foodies. Nevertheless, I think the food needs to be more about quality than quantity.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Peters, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We had a destination wedding at the Whitehouse Resort in Jamaica and it was a great experience for my Wife and I. We arranged it through Beach Bum vacations through Marcie at marcie@beachbumvacation.com. She came highly recommended from a cousin of mine and we are happy to recommend her to anyone else - a destination wedding is the way to go!

If we had to do it over again, we would have found a tour of the resort and did that the first chance we could, because there was so much, we didn't really feel like we knew where everything was until the sixth or second to last day we were there.

Everything with the wedding went great. The wedding coordinator was very friendly and happy to go the extra mile to show you your options of stuff to do and buy, but they were not pushing it on you. We were glad we decided to have the small arch on the beach, as it helped to shade the sun a little and slowed down my sweat glands. After the ceremony, we walked a couple steps to have our wedding cake (Jamaican Fruit Cake is AWESOME!!!... nothing like we think of in the states), and had our first dance with the waves crashing behind us. We were in our little slice of heaven. The photographers were amazing! We have lots of amazing pictures to remember our Wedding Day and Honey Moon.

The food selection was what we had trouble getting a grasp on. There is A LOT of selection for the food, and varying hours for each place. When we got there, we were more focused on the wedding than figuring out the best and most relaxing places to eat.

Also, we planned to do an trip to another part of the island, until we found out it was a 6 hour round trip van ride. After the 90 minute "adventure" getting to the resort, we decided to stay put.

Otherwise, we were able to spend several days laying on the beach, relaxing and recharging, which is exactly what we wanted to do. My Wife read several books, and I listened to a bunch of music on the beach. We also went snorkeling, sailing, and enjoyed the piano bar a couple nights too.

I am very happy with the Sandals Resorts, and can't wait to see what they offer when we return.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Mercersburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I spent 7 wonderful days at Sandals Whitehouse. This was our 3rd trip to a sandals resort. I think that this might be our favorite, although we also liked Sandals Negrill. We stayed in the Dutch Village on the 4th floor. We had a great view of the pool & the beach. The sunsets were amazing. One night they had cocktails & dinner for the returning sandals quests, which we liked. Another night they had a beach party with a wide variety of food. We ate dinner at a different resturaunt every day. We went on a lovers rock catamaran cruise, horseback riding, snorkleling, kayaking, took out a hobby cat sailing. We spent lots of time just relaxing on the beach or in the pool. We took long walks on the beach. A couple of days we took a desert plate back to the room. We ate jeck chicken & pork on the beach. Bluefields resturaunt has the best seasoned FF that I have ever tasted. We had Lobster Tail & Shrimp at Bayside & Prim Rib at Eleanors. We drank lots of Mudslides. The Frig in the room was restocked every day. The staff was very freindly & helpful. It's a very romantic resort & we hope to go back soon.

Room Tip: We had a 4th floor room in the Dutch village & loved it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa? Share your experiences!