Snorkeling ranges from poor to excellent on the reefs, which you go to on the snorkel boat.
Visibility was terrible during wavy conditions. Some reef areas were dangerous when the surf was up. When the sea was clear and calm we saw many types of fish and beautiful huge coral. Spotted eagle rays, common stingrays and yellow stingrays are around but not numerous. We went on the snorkel boat every day and saw only one moray all week. There are only a few mature parrot fish and angel fish; local boat fishers and spear fishing are removing the large fish. We did not see any barracudas or flying gurnards. There are only a few large schools of tangs and surgeonfish and grunts.
In the swimming areas right at SWH, there is only sand and grass, a few star fish. It was quite murky in the swimming areas for most of our week in July. The reef is a long swim out. Water sports staff advises against swimming out there across the boat channel. Nevertheless some snorkelers take the risk and swim or paddle out there. The rescue boat would go out and warn them to come back. In contrast, the snorkeling is excellent at Breezes Curacao (now Sunscapes Curacao) and Breezes Grand Resort and Spa in Negril, right at the resorts. See my You Tubes: Snorkeling at Breezes Curacao and Snorkeling at Breezes Grand Negril
At SWH, the snorkel boat trips run at 10 am, 11 am and 1 pm. They supply snorkel masks, fins, and vests, which you must wear. Sign up at least one day ahead to get a seat. However, we have gotten on at the last minute too. The snorkel boat holds about 20 and has an easy walk-in entry to the sea. Heads up to Singh and Kemuel.
Besides the snorkel boat trips we really enjoyed SWH. It is the most beautiful resort we have been to compared to Sandals in Antigua, the three in St Lucia, and the three at Montego Bay. We have also been to many resorts other than Sandals in Aruba, Barbados, Curacao, St Kitts, etc. At SWH the rooms, dining, wining, and entertainment are very good. Birds are a bother at outdoor breakfast and lunch; mosquitoes, at night. We ate inside and used DEET. Carl Beviere, the GM, is a wonderful person, formerly an executive chef.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Sandals Whitehouse
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe.Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now.World Travel Awards:Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company”, 16 years in a row.Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row.Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort”Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No.4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012 ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Tingo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.