“Exhaust, Diesel, Loud Music, and Barking Dog” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa

You added Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa to your Saves list
Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Westmoreland | Savanna La Mar, White House 5000, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up to $335 in Air Credit!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
orange county, ca
“Exhaust, Diesel, Loud Music, and Barking Dog”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

You can see from my previous review how I felt about this place. We were disappointed at the downgrade in service and attention to detail on this trip. However, MURPHY AT GIUSEPPE'S GAVE US EXCELLENT SERVICE.

For one, this is supposed to be the more mellow, relaxing Sandals--for example, Montego Bay is the "party Sandals" so if you go there and complain about noise, you or your travel agent simply didn't do your research.

The first problem is the music at the French pool is SO LOUD that you can hear it all the way at the end of the beach. Now I know people will say "why don't you go to the beach by the Dutch pool which is quiet?" Well, the bar there is not full service, and the beach drink servers are very slow. Also, that beach is very small, and that portion of the water simply isn't as nice.

Now, I know the French pool is not billed as a quiet pool so they can play music there. But it shouldn't be so loud that people on the far side of the beaches can also hear it. If we wanted to hear it, we'd be at the pool. The Main Pool and its related beach are super loud because of all the Main Pool music and activities--so if we can't relax there or the French beach, where does one go to relax here? Why should I pay all this money and be relegated to the tiny not as nice portion of the Dutch village?

They did not play music in the mornings, so I noticed that people would be relaxing and napping at the French pool, then around Noon, a couple of bartenders would come on duty, and BLAST the music so loud, the people around the pool would jolt. I could tell they were annoyed.

Meanwhile, the bartenders were hollering and yucking it up--I got the impression that the loud music is for the employee's benefit, NOT the guests, and I PROVED IT. I decided one day to just leave the beach and ask each person by the French pool--NOT ONE OF THESE PEOPLE SAID THEY ENJOYED THE MUSIC AT THAT VOLUME. They could have lowered it and made it more pleasant.

My travel agent said FOUR other clients of hers had this SAME COMPLAINT, and she is upset because they do bill themselves as the relaxing Sandals resort and now she feels like she can't trust them anymore.

Also, they had some kind of landscaping going on at the French and Dutch beaches DURING THE PRIME BEACH HOURS which had DIESEL TRUCKS GOING BACK AND FORTH ON THE BEACH--the stench of DIESEL WAS ALL WE SMELLED FOR TWO DAYS. That kind of thing should be done in the late afternoon when there's less people lounging around. Also, the golf cart looking vehicles that the employees drive around in let off the worst exhaust smell--you feel like you're going to choke everytime one drives by you--I might as well have opened my window at LA rush hour.

And they say they're a "green resort"? You might was well make the water pressure better in your showers, you're not doing the environment, or your guests' lungs any favors.

There is also a VERY LOUD barking dog on the property--it's near the spa building/tennis area--it barks nonstop every time there's a wind and you can hear it all over the Dutch village--I could have stayed home and heard my neighbor's dog barking and saved some money.

The food is not as opulent as it once was--gone is the lobster at Eleanor's, the ham carving station at breakfast.

They rake the beach, but don't pick up the cigarette butts and trash that comes out of the sand--HUH, THEN WHY DID YOU RAKE IT?

It's stuff like this you wouldn't ever see the last time we were here. We do like the palapas and the hammocks which were not there on our last visit.

They have plenty of beach chairs, but not enough palapas--so it's those desirable palapa seats that you have to get up early to reserve. Otherwise, there are plenty of beach and pool chairs at all times.

Also Cafe De Paris TWICE had NO PASTRIES in its case at 10:30 am. We saw the trays filled with pastries in the kitchen and asked "why don't you bring them out' But they said they couldn't unless ALL the pastries were ready--that just doesn't make any sense.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the speakers that pipe music throughout the property.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,498)
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

We stayed at Sandals Whitehouse 12/8 - 12/14/2012. Ironically, when I came back I found a December issue of Conde Nast Traveler magazine in the mail that had the resort on its Gold List of best hotels in the world. In my opinion, it is not the best but it's not bad either.
First of all, the ride to the resort wasn't all that bad - I had to take Dramamine but only because I am prone to car sickness, everyone else on the bus was fine. Plus, the ride gives you an opportunity to see the real Jamaica outside of the artificial sandals environment. After arrival we had to switch rooms once because I hated the first one they gave us - walkout to the pool and total lack of privacy. We had to wait for 1.5 hours for a new room which is not easy after traveling all day in "planes, trains, and automobiles".
In regards to service, "inconsistency" is the big word. Surprisingly, we got better service at the beach bar Bluefields than "upscale" Eleanor's. Some people were great, some people were rude. Service slow but we were not in a rush anyway. Most of them tried their best, so I give them a credit. Most of these people never had a chance to vacation or eat at 5 star properties , so maybe they just don't know what it is supposed to be like.
Another biggie for me - sand flies! I got eaten alive! Apparently, from my Google research, everyone reacts to them differently. I got a delayed allergic reaction 2 days after being bitten. My legs looked so scary that my fiance dragged me to the nurses office. She said I would need a steroid shot and antibiotics. No way!!!!! I bought some Hydrocortizone cream at the gift shop and it worked for my symptoms. My fiance got bitten too but never had any issues. Spoke to other people at the resort, nobody had any problems with sand flies bites either. Please use your bug spray!
Again, the resort is nice and we do not regret at all our decision to stay there. The grounds, the beach and drinks are great. Many activities offered during the day and we were never bored.

Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

We just arrived back from Saldal"s Whitehouse Jamaica after 2 weeks of pampering, warm weather and total relaxing! Jamaica with its welcoming sun and happy faces is a must. This is our 3rd returning trip and not our last. We stayed in the Dutch complex, the smallest but in our eyes the best and meet many returnies. The staff is friendly, the amenities great and want for nothing - everything is provided. Seven resturants to choose from and our favorites were Neptunes and Elenors. Fresh seafood and other favorites were on the menu everyday. Our Canadian friend John who looks after the garden and property has keep the exceptional works a pleasure to walk thro. The peacocks and other birds are still in attendance and add to the pleasure of the guests. Water warm & clean, lots of sandy beach to walk on and the beds - absolute comfort! The only drawback - getting to the beach area early in the morning to get the best lounge chairs under the umbrallas. It become a fun challange every morning. For an exclusive resort Sandals Whitehouse is the place to stay. A paradice away from the busy areas of Kingston and Montago Bay. I recommend this property to lovers of all ages. It is an adult property.

Room Tip: If you want extreme pampering book the butlr service, If you are happy to just relax - no need for a...
Kitchener Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

I had already posted a review but must have got lost in cyber space so will try again. My wife and I made our 2nd trip to Whitehouse Nov 26 - Dec 3. 1st trip was in 2008.
Most things were very similar to the 1st visit so I will try to give just the highlights.
No concerns with bar service. Drinks plentiful, not watered down and most times with a smile. Hats off to Copeland at the main pool bar. They were making an attempt at pool and beach service but was hit or miss while we were there. Tried most of the restuarants except Jasmines during the stay. Only thing we didn't like was the steak / beef that was served including at the return guest dinner. Was tough and not a good cut of meat IMO. We did like the calamari served at Neptunes - a must try. Service was always good and fast but we tend to eat close to when they open - between 6 - 6:30 so it wasn't busy and the full meal was under an hour. We did though on the last night notice at Neptunes that it filled up quickly and when that happened things seemed to slow down. Not a major bother to us - we are on vacation and where else are you going ? Chill and order another drink. Also portion sizes seem small but with 2 other full meals during the day ( and larger than what you would have at home ) found it just right. And had room for Cafe de Paris dessert afterwards. Another must.
Last year we stayed at SRC and found the paparazzi horrible. Always bugging you for a picture. Not encounted this trip at Whitehouse. Only asked a few times and a polite no was all it took. Thank you Snap Shots !! Also didn't have any problems with Red Lane staff bothering you for spa service. Only encountered a few times as well and not pushy. We bought a few items from the onsite store but they have different sales on different days - some deals better than others. On our 1st day the 1 rack had items for 50% off. The next day was $10 off. 2 days later back to 50% off so be patient if you see something you like.
All pools were very clean ( spent time at all ) as was the beach. Water was a bit cloudy this trip but a cold front moved thru a few days which made it a bit wavy. Always lots of lounger - no concern to reserve at 6am. Towels always provided pool side and never ran out. They also have some resident sting rays that swim around the dock area. Can see them almost any time of day.
Beach party was on Monday night and had a great time. Good show with jugglers. Also Saturday night with steel drum band is a must see. What a show. Almost 90 min in length.
We had a luxury room on second floor Italian village. Turn down service every night with next days agenda left on your pillow. Only incident was our room closet rack broke and all clothes etc fell on the floor. Had to go to reception as the phone tag system didn't work. Came back from dinner and was fixed, well sort of. Did the trick and not issue after.
1 excursion we did was thru Island routes but was the Sandals Foundation Reading Road Trip. What a blast going to a local school that Sandals supports and spend time reading, colouring and playing soccer with the students. This school had very young children ( 3 - 6 yrs ) but still had a great time. Nice way to spend a Thursday morning for 2 hours.
All in all another great trip and would go back without hesitation. The transfer is really not that bad either. Gives you a chance to see some of the country side.

Room Tip: All rooms have some ocean view. Personal choice if you want the French busy pool or Main quiet pool...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

Weather was great, water and beach were great...food selection was poor with only two restaurants worth mentioning, the Bluefields for lunch and Neptunes for dinner. No nightly dinner buffett should you get tired of eating the same thing. Food was lukewarm and service was really slow. Good spot if you dive as it is included but for the rest of us, not much to do and no place to go. Rooms were clean and all faced the sea. Had to rush out daily to save our seats by the beach and pool or you were out of luck. And my biggest disappointment, the gym...two treadmills for 700 people. Good luck with that if you like to exercise. Go elsewhere...doesn't live up to what you think should be the Sandals reputation and cost associated with it.

Room Tip: Good luck with getting an upgrade, unless you 'know' someone, it won't happen
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

Writing this review is really a mixed bag of experiences. This was our second Sandals/Beaches vacation, and our first to Jamaica. We had concierge service, and were in a Grande Luxe Beachfront room on the second floor of the Dutch Village.

We’re not sure if Sandals is trying to change the way that they are marketing this property, but it really seemed like they were trying to keep it quiet for everyone. We’re not partiers by any means, but this resort was a tad on the quiet side for us. We’re thankful that we met some great people (other guests) to help alleviate the resort’s shortcoming in this area. We found our experience at Beaches to be more lively and eventful. We basically had to beg to get music played, and when it was, it was always the same CD….I SWEAR (sing it Anthony!)

I guess I will start off by speaking about some of the most common things that we read about in other reviews prior to our trip.

Airport Transfer: Yes, it is over a 1.5 hour transfer. The roads are not pristine highways as most of us have come to expect, but they are by no means some dirt path in the middle of nowhere. There was about a half hour worth of driving that was fairly stop and go as the driver needed to slowdown for potholes. There was at no time any need for us to stop for passengers who got sick. We just sat back and enjoyed the ride and sights.

Staff: In reading all the other reviews, it really sounded like there was a Jekyll and Hyde type of experience with staff. Some reviews mentioned that staff and service was terrific, while others couldn’t find a single redeeming quality among them. In our observations it seemed as though there were 3 different types of employees.

1) The super engaged, wants to make your vacation great type of employee

2) The few miserable, shouldn’t be working with people type of employee (I’m really sorry if I am interrupting your day, or infringing on your non-work related activity, but I am a guest at your hotel)

3) The rest…the rest are really…pretty forgettable. They don’t do anything that improves or takes away from your vacation. They do their job, and that’s really about it. All the servers in the restaurants fall in to this category. Given the price of these vacations, people expect more than this. On occasion, some of these folks came across as rude. Not sure if it was on purpose, or if that is just how disinterested they were in their work.

I’d like to mention some of the great staff that they have. The entire bar staff at the French Pool and the ladies at the Red Lane Spa. The evening Maître D at Eleanor’s (whose name escapes me) was also spectacular.

The Bad…Bryan the Concierge. Maybe we caught him on a bad day, but my word, you should not be working with people.

The food: We had some pretty good meals, and nothing really to be overly critical about, except one thing…you can not get Lobster with your meal unless you have a Butler to arrange it for you. Pretty disappointing for a Caribbean resort, and no, just because you can put a filet of fish with a steak, doesn’t make it a surf and turf.

As far as the restaurants are concerned we ate at the following:
• Neptune’s: Sea food motif, and had some great meals there. Aside from not being AAA beef, the steaks were well done, fish cooked perfectly, and the sea food ravioli was fantastic.
• Giuseppe’s: Decent Italian food. It would be a great addition if they had take-out boxes for their pizzas at lunch.
• Bayside’s: Was great for breakfast as we like a selection. It also had the Italian Buffet night with freshly prepared pasta
• Eleanor’s: Had a great selection of food. Great Eggs Benedict too.
• Jasmine’s: There was nothing appealing on the menu for us, so we didn’t bother.
• Café de Paris: As far as we’re concerned, this was the only place to get a good cup of coffee. Had some great desserts too.

One other side note about the restaurants is that this resort tries to pull off a shared Waiter/Waitress type of service. The problem is that they don’t do it very well. We saw our breakfast make 3 rounds of the restaurants one morning, and there were only a handful of tables occupied. Not sure if it’s a training or turnover issue.

Sand Flees: Yes, they have them. They come out on the beach typically at night, or after a rain shower. It’s not by any means anything that can’t be dealt with by taking a few minor precautions.

Rooms and Grounds: The grounds were fantastic. They worked tirelessly to keep the beaches clean and free of debris. Our room was well kept, and housekeeping did a great job. One thing to keep in mind is that the walls are a tad on the thin side.

Pools: The pools have very distinct personalities (but are all on the quiet side none the less).
• Dutch Pool: This was the quiet, no nonsense pool. Even though we had a room in the Dutch Village, we never stayed around this pool
• Italian Pool: This pool is in the hub of the resort, so it inherently has a more lively vibe too it. They occasionally have games and other events that happen here.
• French Pool: This is where we spent most of our time when not on the beach. This pool has a volleyball net across it, so expect some occasional rowdiness and the occasional volleyball game to break out. If you were to dub a pool “the party pool”, this would be it.

After spending a week there, I am left dumbfounded that some people wrote reviews and complained that the resort was too large and too spread out. This resort is the perfect size.

Evening Entertainment: We’re didn’t partake in this too much, but the Sunday night steel drum band was pretty awesome.

The one thing that we were disappointed with at this resort, and would score it a 0/5 was the internet. The only reason we got it was so we could Skype in with our son back home. When you charge more for a week of service then one would pay for a month at home, one would expect some pretty good service. Using their internet was like being hooked up to a 56k modem. It was slow, and the reception was spotty at best. This is something Sandals really needs to work on if they are going to charge for it.

Given that this resort charges premium rates, then people will expect premium service. That was not the case at Sandals Whitehouse. It fell short in many areas….not enough to give it a poor grade, but also not enough to say it was perfect either. The foundation is there to make this a great resort. I would not recommend this resort for anyone that is looking for anything remotely resembling a party atmosphere, unless you are travelling as a group.

This resort is a 3.5- 4 out of 5 at best, and it struggles to achieve the higher. That’s what I expect from a Club Med, and not a Sandals.

All in all, it was a great vacation, and a week well spent.

Springdale, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

The people of Jamaica know all about service in my opinion as they are very hospitable people and very friendly! The food was good but not great in our opinion as we visited from Nov 2 - 9 this year! Beach is quite nice and the 1.5 hour ride to resort was fine as we got to see the sights! Very disappointed when we decided to go on FREE horseback tour we were told of when we booked! It bothered us that because we didn't have a high enough priced suite, we didn't qualify for free tour - took a tour on Sandals Negril insterad and there was actually no comparison as Whitehouse pools and beaches are much nicer!! Room was a little disappointing as well for price!

Room Tip: Be sure to upgrade room to a minimum of concierge.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa? Share your experiences!