You can see from my previous review how I felt about this place. We were disappointed at the downgrade in service and attention to detail on this trip. However, MURPHY AT GIUSEPPE'S GAVE US EXCELLENT SERVICE.
For one, this is supposed to be the more mellow, relaxing Sandals--for example, Montego Bay is the "party Sandals" so if you go there and complain about noise, you or your travel agent simply didn't do your research.
The first problem is the music at the French pool is SO LOUD that you can hear it all the way at the end of the beach. Now I know people will say "why don't you go to the beach by the Dutch pool which is quiet?" Well, the bar there is not full service, and the beach drink servers are very slow. Also, that beach is very small, and that portion of the water simply isn't as nice.
Now, I know the French pool is not billed as a quiet pool so they can play music there. But it shouldn't be so loud that people on the far side of the beaches can also hear it. If we wanted to hear it, we'd be at the pool. The Main Pool and its related beach are super loud because of all the Main Pool music and activities--so if we can't relax there or the French beach, where does one go to relax here? Why should I pay all this money and be relegated to the tiny not as nice portion of the Dutch village?
They did not play music in the mornings, so I noticed that people would be relaxing and napping at the French pool, then around Noon, a couple of bartenders would come on duty, and BLAST the music so loud, the people around the pool would jolt. I could tell they were annoyed.
Meanwhile, the bartenders were hollering and yucking it up--I got the impression that the loud music is for the employee's benefit, NOT the guests, and I PROVED IT. I decided one day to just leave the beach and ask each person by the French pool--NOT ONE OF THESE PEOPLE SAID THEY ENJOYED THE MUSIC AT THAT VOLUME. They could have lowered it and made it more pleasant.
My travel agent said FOUR other clients of hers had this SAME COMPLAINT, and she is upset because they do bill themselves as the relaxing Sandals resort and now she feels like she can't trust them anymore.
Also, they had some kind of landscaping going on at the French and Dutch beaches DURING THE PRIME BEACH HOURS which had DIESEL TRUCKS GOING BACK AND FORTH ON THE BEACH--the stench of DIESEL WAS ALL WE SMELLED FOR TWO DAYS. That kind of thing should be done in the late afternoon when there's less people lounging around. Also, the golf cart looking vehicles that the employees drive around in let off the worst exhaust smell--you feel like you're going to choke everytime one drives by you--I might as well have opened my window at LA rush hour.
And they say they're a "green resort"? You might was well make the water pressure better in your showers, you're not doing the environment, or your guests' lungs any favors.
There is also a VERY LOUD barking dog on the property--it's near the spa building/tennis area--it barks nonstop every time there's a wind and you can hear it all over the Dutch village--I could have stayed home and heard my neighbor's dog barking and saved some money.
The food is not as opulent as it once was--gone is the lobster at Eleanor's, the ham carving station at breakfast.
They rake the beach, but don't pick up the cigarette butts and trash that comes out of the sand--HUH, THEN WHY DID YOU RAKE IT?
It's stuff like this you wouldn't ever see the last time we were here. We do like the palapas and the hammocks which were not there on our last visit.
They have plenty of beach chairs, but not enough palapas--so it's those desirable palapa seats that you have to get up early to reserve. Otherwise, there are plenty of beach and pool chairs at all times.
Also Cafe De Paris TWICE had NO PASTRIES in its case at 10:30 am. We saw the trays filled with pastries in the kitchen and asked "why don't you bring them out' But they said they couldn't unless ALL the pastries were ready--that just doesn't make any sense.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe.Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now.World Travel Awards:Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company”, 16 years in a row.Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row.Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort”Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No.4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012 ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica