“Hanover House - No Problem” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hanover House and Noble House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in White House
Hanover House and Noble House
White House, Jamaica   |
Atlanta
“Hanover House - No Problem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

This review only relates to Hanover House, not Noble House, although we also stayed at the latter in 2005 for our wedding and thought it was great. Over the years we have booked all our villas through Villas by Linda and have found her/them to provide pretty much exactly what they advertise.

This time around, we picked Hanover House because we anticipated a relatively large crowd of family and eventually filled up all the rooms with 11 adults or larger kids and one two year old. We were looking for a place on the west side of Montego Bay (less developed, slower pace and not so dry and flat as the east side), up the hill by the Great River, great view, mountain breezes, close to Round Hill (for the beach and other sundries), and convenient layout.

Hanover House, like many of the villas in and around Montego Bay, is a somewhat aging villa built in the "old days" - my best guess is sometime in the 1940s or 50s and certainly before independence. It has been very well maintained, though, and all of the rooms are pleasantly decorated and comfortable. With the exception of the little "nanny" (or in our case 2 year old ) room adjacent to the very large master bedroom upstairs and the other two non-master bedrooms upstairs that share a bath, the 3 downstairs bedrooms are large and pleasant. There is air conditioning that works in all of the bedrooms (except the nanny room which (as represented) can be cooled by leaving the door open from the master bedroom. All of the bathrooms other than the shared bathroom upstairs are relatively large and function well enough, although many of them could use upgrades in both decor and appliances - this is not an unusual phenomenon in our experience and, after all, you don't go down there to spend your life in the bathroom anyway.

Hanover House has an amazing view of the ocean and Montego Bay, particularly from the upper deck that runs around the pool and from the private deck off the master bedroom. The downstairs living room is nicely furnished; there are a number of sporadically working TVs in various bedrooms and the living room; there are various kinds of electronics and the WiFi works. The pool is large and convenient and generally is good shape although some of the upper tiles are broken and reasonable rehab probably warranted. There are a couple of random dogs that hang around the place, but other than the fact that one of them persistently ate all of the ping pong balls, they were friendly enough.

The staff is generally very efficient and hospitable and everyone agreed that the food was very good - not really fancy, but high end at dinner. Big breakfasts and light "salad" kind of lunches. We ate all of our meals there except for one lunch and one night out at the Round Hill Beach buffet ( get ready to spend some money) one dinner at Marguerite's on the waterfront in Montego Bay ( this will also set you back a wad). Lay in a stock of rum, beer and wine and you really don't have to worry about much. We concluded that (other than liquor costs) the food estimates that are listed on Linda's web page are about 25% higher than what we spent.

Hanover House is a truly delightful place, run by a competent and pleasant staff and a great value besides. We recommend it without hesitation, but offer the following general observations:

1. Jamaica is not Hawaii and if you are looking for a truly antiseptic vacation experience, a non-compound villa like this may not be for you. There tend to be people (other than the staff of course) chilling out in and around around the premises of these properties; others trying to sell you clothes or souvenirs; brush fires and smoke wafting by; an occasional hint of ganja in the air; lots of music from lots of places.

2. if you have a big crowd of people, getting a driver and a van is worthwhile, although rental cars are not prohibitively expensive and the main roads are in much better condition than they used to be. Still, driving is a little tricky on the left in Montego Bay traffic and dodging the occasional goat or dog on the road is somewhat disconcerting. "Damage" assessments on rentals is huge.

3. Remember that Hanover House is in Hanover. Over the years, we got sloppy and wrote down on our immigration forms the address of whatever villa were stayed in as "Montego Bay." We did that again this time and it created a folderol in immigration for everyone in our party. Some of the immigration officers actually demanded that we produce our confirmation receipt for Hanover House which was somewhat embarrassing as it had all of the charges listed. So, even while the privatized airport in Montego Bay is quite new and improved these days, the attitude of the immigration officials we encountered is more reminiscent of the bad old days of the seventies. Blue or black pen only. No exceptions. Bottom line: make sure your proverbial papers are in order.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

Hi there, a bit late in writing this review, but we stayed there for a week in October for a family renunion and it was the best holiday we ever had. There where 8 adults and 7 children, 2 babies, 3 two year olds and one at 4 and 5. the staff where great. My regards go out to Miss Pam and Mr. Lloyd and the rest of the staff.
We where celebrating a 40 year anniversary and it could not have been more perfect.
I would highly rate this Villa as one of the best for Alduts and Children, they had a lot of
life support items for the kids and they also helped watch them.
The security at night was excellent, we never had a problem, the food was great that was cooked for us, all I can say is Thank-you all for the great holiday we had, and my children and grand-children say they will never forget it. Hope to see you all for 50th!!! I might be living there by then, but your Villa will be bigger than my home to accomadate everyone. Thanks again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2008

Me and my wife to be booked our stay at Hanover House in Jamaica through Linda Smith Villas. I was a little worried about spending so much money on something that I hadn't seen but it paid off. At first I was a little bothered because the house looked so much bigger on the photos than it did in person. The home is older in person also. The picture are a little too perfect. The staff was great. I actually saved about $1000 on food by letting then cook everything and telling them that I had less to spend on food than I had budgeted. My immediate family and my wife's immediate family stayed in the villa. It was a great idea because no one else was there but us. We really grew to become one family. The villa came with a driver who took us to see different things without having to us a scary taxi. We had a Cell to call him whenever we wanted to go somewhere. Make sure to bring bug spray cause every meal was around the pool. It was cool, unless you didn't have spray. We had our wedding overlooking the bay. It was b..e..a..utiful.

• Liked — The privacy and the personal staff.
  • Disliked — The Heat
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
abingdon, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

My husband and I celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary at Noble House with some good friends and it was wonderful. The grounds were so beautiful. The property is on five acres of beachfront with ponds and fountains. It was like being in our own private resort. The house itself was fabulous and very nicely appointed. I loved the master bedroom with his and her bathrooms. That was a treat. And the staff could not have been more helpful. Hope to return soon.

• Liked — Like having a resort to ourselves
  • Disliked — Loved everything about it
  • Stayed October 2008
Hollister, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2007

I'm 2 years late writing this review, but our wedding at Hanover House seems as yesterday. I still can hardly believe that was our fairy tale ceremony, but the pictures and videos are proof. As our guests declared, that was the best wedding (and party!) they had ever been to.

We arrived a week before our June 30 wedding, and we were staying with the wedding party at the villa. We were was 15 including my nieces and nephews. We rented the van for the week, and were met on-time at the airport. (20 more of our guests were staying at another villa, so we were actually met by the 2 vans we rented.) Other of our guests trickled in over the week, and had made their own lodging arrangements.

Renting a wedding villa, and lodging for our friends and family, based only on internet pictures and descriptions, naturally left us with some measure of trepidation. We arrived at Hanover House and our trepidation was transformed to joyful, jaw-dropping, glee. As our guests piled out of the van to select their bedrooms, the staff handled the bags. We went up the circular entry staircase to the main level..and there it was. That magnificent pool area was even grander than pictured. We went up to the master suite and were blown away by the size of the suite, and the views from the amazing wrap around balcony. High ceilings, wood floors, sea and mountain views, this was our fantasy of West Indian planter style living. This magnificent private property was all ours for a week.

The best was yet to come. Miss Pam and the rest of the staff were so warm and helpful that our tearful departure a week later was like leaving family. And the food! It was a proper match for a world-class setting.

The villa comes with access to the Round Hill beach - one of the priciest and most exclusive resorts in the world. A famous Jamaican track star (Miss Bronze - you know who I mean) owns a villa there. Be sure to make the tea service at Round Hill beach - it is fantastic. (Remember you will need a cover up at tea time!) All sorts of teas and snacks to intrigue and tempt you. The entire grounds has an air of exclusivity, and there is a nice coral reef to snorkel. I'm a non-swimmer, so I put on a life jacket and snorkeled away.

We had the van, so we went all over island. Dunn's River falls (don't miss Scotchies jerk stand on the way!), Black River, Pelican Bar, Appleton Estate, Negril, and of course, MoBay.

The wedding went off perfectly. I could bore you with details of the arrangements, but I'll stop gushing for now. I'll leave you with some pictures (sunsets were amazing from sun deck, and the evening tree frog chorus accompanied the twinkling night lights from across Montego Bay.)

Our last trip to Jamaica was to Portland on the other side of the island, but I long to return to Hanover House.

Highly recommended. Say hi to Miss Pam and have her cook you up some brown stew chicken. Yummm.

• Liked — Private villa with staff
  • Disliked — 30 mins to downtown MoBay
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2006

My husband and I were married at Noble House, a private villa managed by Villas by Linda Smith. The villa is absolutely beautiful, the master bedroom is incredible with 2 bathrooms (his and hers). The grounds are immaculate. The staff took such great care of us - Miss Valerie is the manager and chef and made the most incredible meals every night. Our wedding was handled by Denise Taylor, a local wedding coordinator, and she did a great job (I had met with her 2 months earlier on a trip to Jamaica and we discussed all details then). I could not have asked for more, whether it was my wedding day or all the other days that we stayed there (7 total). You will be pampered and treated like royalty when you go there - it was an incredible expereience. And it was my first time as a "tourist" in Jamaica - my family is from there and I've been to Jamaica many times, but I will never stay in a hotel now that I've expereinced a villa. Visit the website for pictures (though they don't do the place justice) -[-----]

Our families stayed with us in Noble House and the villa next door, Tranquillity House - a smaller villa but every bit as beautiful with a wonderful staff. Both villas are on the beach and each has its own pool with a pool house where additional guests can stay. There are kayaks and snorkeling equipment for guest use. All of our family members and every wedding guest said they wanted to come back to stay in the villas. You'll love it.

FYI, all bedrooms are airconditioned.

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2004

Our family stayed at the Hanover House in May of 2000. We had 13 of us there and had the most fabulous time there. We loved the openness of the rooms and the pool area was picturesque! Eating together as one large group would have been a nightmare had we stayed in a hotel so we were happy to have the convenience of the in-house staff and excellent cook to prepare our meals. The convenience of having a hired driver on call was a plus as we didn't have to navigate the narrow roads. The view from the upper porches were 360 around and we had a sense of seclusion that you don't feel when you're in a resort.

It was quite a memorable trip to spend with my sisters, brother and their spouses. It was definitely worth the money and it probably would have worked out to be the same price had we all rented hotel rooms & went to restaurants.

Having a pool to ourselves was wonderful and we had a chance to appreciate poolside eating each night!

Been to Hanover House and Noble House? Share your experiences!