The road to the retreat can be a bit bumpy - slow riding is recommended. It seems they level the road out on a regular basis.
Arriving at the retreat is breathtaking. Kelly at the reception was extremly friendly and kind, a welcome I had hoped for in this retreat.
The rooms are very spacious and clean.
Note that no pesticides are used and that this is a "connect to nature" place. So yes, you might find a spider in your room or a gecko (happened to us) or unfortunately what happened to another guest a scorpion. This being said, I don't like spiders but don't mind them because of their benefit. So if it freaks you out, keep in mind that you might see one or two on the outside of the mosquito screen. Upon our arrival the terrace had quite a few webs but when mentioned, the following day they were all removed.
There is coffee and tea available in a thermos 24/7 in the breakfast area which is welcome because on the day of departure, if you need to leave early no breakfast will be served. We were informed that breakfast is given to us as an extra and not really included in the price. Although it shows up as an itemized line on your bill.
Breakfast is cooked daily. You don't have a choice of what you want to eat but they breakfasts are wholesome. We had a glutenfree fellow resident so our breakfast was also a glutenfree pancake. Didn't bother us but one might take offense.
Jeanne the innkeeper is nice but can be opinionated.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hawaii Island Retreat is unique among Hawaii's destinations, spas, and eco-retreats. Set among evergreens and ocean breezes, our 50 acre boutique hotel offers gracious accommodations in complete harmony with nature. It is the ideal location for weddings, spa vacations, and corporate retreats, offering elegant venues in a distinctly Hawaiian setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Jetsetter, Tingo, Travelocity, Otel and Venere so you can book your Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hawaii Island Retreat At Ahu Pohaku Ho`Omaluhia Hotel Kapaau
- Hawaii Island Retreat At Ahu Pohaku Ho`Omaluhia Kapaau