“22 Mile Adventure” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 7 Attractions in Kapaau
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: If you want to see - hear - taste - smell - touch and experience the real Hawaii then this is for you! ATV Outfitters is dedicated to your Hawaii ATV experience. When you ride into the heart of Kohala on our comfortable All Terrain Vehicles (ATV’s), you begin to sense what makes this place –- the oldest volcano on the island - the “piko” or center of the planet. "It's magical."
AL
3 attraction reviews
“22 Mile Adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We visited ATV Outfitters in Jan. 25, 2013. We took a cruise to Hawaii and only had 1 day in Kona. We rented a car from the pier and drove the 1.5 hr drive to ATVing, and we're so glad we did. This was one of our favorite activities. We did the 3 hr, 22 mile waterfall & rainforest afternoon tour, it was so much fun. All the different places they took us were absolutely beautiful! The one waterfall that you can swim at was freezing so nobody swam, but it was great just to sit and take in the scenery. It's everything that I'd imagined Hawaii to be. You had to go down a steep set of "steps" to get down to the waterfall but it is well worth it. They feed you granola bars and local Hawaiian juices, but I'd eat before you get there because there isn't much around. Our tour had 3 other single riders and 1 tandem rider (front & back like motorcycle seating), we had a tandem also but did the side by side so it was more like a golf cart set up. I'm so glad we did the side to side because it was REALLY bumpy, the girl on the back of the normal ATV couldn't have been comfortable. Also, you obviously aren't allowed to take pictures while you're driving, but since I was a passenger and didn't have to hold on like the other girl, I was able to take pictures and videos with my camera. I recommend taking a camera bag or even a ziplock bag because of the dust. I had to hide my camera between my legs so it didn't get covered in dust. Our guides were Shannon and JC, they were great! They were both 4th generation Hawaiian so they knew a lot of history and stories, and they were so funny. They take you on a safety course first to make sure you can operate the ATV's, they're very concerned with safety. It does get very dusty so have them teach you how to ninja fold your head sock. I recommend bringing a clothes and changing in the bathroom before you leave. Also, watch out for the cow poop! Overall, this place is the best and I would definitely recommend it. I wish we were there longer because I would have gone back the next day. When you call to book make sure you mention their website (atvoutfittershawaii.com), they give you discounts, we saved like $75! If you are doing tandem, ask for the side by side. You pay when you get there, and don't forget to tip your guides!

Visited January 2013

Didsbury, Canada
“Quad trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We recently had the chance to take a quad trip with ATV Outfitters on the north end of the big island. My wife and I shared a Ranger and we were lucky enough to be solo guests with our guide Shannon Pasco. It was a terrific afternoon heading up country to the waterfalls. I have run quads before but this was a unique experience. Shannon was a super host - fun and knowledgeable. The whole crew was friendly and also took our safety seriously. We definitely recommend a visit.

Visited December 2012
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Great trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My mom and i went on this 2 hour waterfall trip on jan.14 and the guys where awesome, they did a great job and told us a lot of history. My mom was not a youngster and the lead guide did a great job of assisting her up from the waterfall hike and making it a great experience for all!
I will recommend to everyone and go back again!! Thanks, Guys

Visited January 2013
Grass Valley, California
“Plantation Ditch Adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This was a great way to see the country side and Gabe Merle the guide was great. This is a must see.

Visited August 2012
Durham NC
26 attraction reviews
“we had the best time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

the guides were very well informed and vigilant on safety. we loved going to the waterfalls and swimming in one of them. if you take a tandem atv, get the side by side. otherwise the rear person will be bobbing up and down, not so great for them. this is one of the best attractions on the island!

Visited November 2012