“Wonderful again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ravenstone Manor

You added Ravenstone Manor to your Saves list
Ravenstone Manor
Bassenthwaite | On A591 - Up on Hill Blue Trim, Bassenthwaite CA12 4QG, England   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
“Wonderful again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed at ravenstone manor 16th may for two nights our second visit,Cheryl n Kim and all the staff welcomed us again like family.Food fantastic,rooms superb,hospitality 200% if you want a relaxed break from home to home you must visit this exceptional home of Cheryl n Kim's....and if you are planning a wedding it would be out of this world,have seen photos of previous weddings and they do them proud,far superior to usual hotels,it's a wedding venue in a large home atmosphere.....well done girls keep up the good work....

Room Tip: We were in room 6' fantastic views.,my friend had an upgraded room and it was very roomy and lux...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Just returned from a break at Ravenscourt. We had awonderful time. Exttremely comfortable room with a wonderful view. Outstanding food and the warmest friendliest welcome ever. The whole experience was outstanding and we can't wait to return
Linda4318

Room Tip: Phone in advance for choice of rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The owners of Ravenstone Manor set the tone for a wonderful stay at their great hotel-excellent customer service! From checking in to checking out we were treated like welcomed friends. The staff is helpful and present. The building has all the character you'd want in a 200 year old home but with all the cleanliness and standards you want on your holiday.
The added benefit is the chef. We opted for dinner in the hotel our first night just for the ease of it after a day out and about in Keswick. As it turned out the chef can cook, the menu inventive and the ingrediants top notch. It was so good we returned our second night too.
The only thing I would want is better lighting in the rooms. It was slightly dim with only one small ceiling light and weird lighting in the head board.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I booked this hotel for one night with my mother and sister. We wanted 3 separate rooms so I was surprised to be quoted only £62 each per night fopr dinner, bed and breakfast. In fact, I warned my family not to expect too much assuming the dinner would consist of "pie and chips" coach part type of food.

What a pleasant surprise! The welcome we had was so warm we were nearly toasted! Cherin showed us around and allowed my mother to choose her room. She chose a double at the front of the hotel with stunning views across the fields to the lake. I had a single which I assume was the smallest in the hotel. This room looked as if it had been cleaned after the last occupant and then left. There was a large cobweb over the shower and dust in the bath. The TV didn't work and there was no coffee, tea, sugar or milk in my room. However, this was just an oversight I'm sure. The towels were nice and big and very fluffy. The bed had good quality linen on it and was comfortable. I don't expect to watch TV when in the Lakes anyway!

For dinner we were invited to have our drinks in the bar or the lounge next to the open fires. We were brought menus to make our selections from and were then called through to the dining room when our food was ready. The staff were both friendly and professional, a hard combination to achieve sometimes. The food was excellent. The desserts were also homemade. The wine was reasonably priced too.

Breakfast was equally good. Overall, this hotel was really good value for money. The little extras proved (Radox in the bathrooms, Gluton free menus, Books available to read, free tea and coffee in the public areas) really go to show how much thought has gone into the service. The fact my room had a couple of issues did not detract from a lovely stay. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and will ceratinly be returning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My room was not the most luxurious in the hotel indeed some might say it was a little dated but that did not detract from the overall excellent experience. Staff were all first rate and cared for me as as individual - nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was excellent in every way avoiding the modern trend to just help yourself. Would I stay again - yes willingly although I'd try to negotiate an upgrade as part of my hard bargaining on the price..

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Lovely hotel, beautiful gardens and amazing views. The staff were really nice and helpful and the rooms very clean looking on to a wonderful view. I have to say that the website does not do it any justice.
I love the old style/wooden decor - throw back to an old black and white movie. My only compliant - well not a compliant but note would be that the restaurant although very clean could do with a more updated interior and it would have been really helpful if they had a bar meal menu.
We ate off their al a crate menu the first night which was really nice but would have been good to have a choice of a less expensive menu the next night. However these are only minor and would not hesitate in coming back. Great service and lovely place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We bought this as a Living Social deal as hubby had never been to Lake District before. The hotel is charming in beautiful countryside overlooking Bassenthwaite Lake albeit quite a long way from the hotel. We were lucky enough to have a room on the top floor so got amazing views. When we arrived the weather was glorious and we sat out in the gardens at picnic style tables. The staff are very warm and friendly and the co-owner Kim made us very welcome and gave us a wonderful insight into the hotel, both past and present. The fire in the bar whilst we waited for our drinks was very welcoming. We sat in the lounge eating our canapés whilst we perused the menu. Once in the restaurant the food was brilliant and ate their two nights running. I am so glad we took up the offer of bread that was slightly pink looking as the flavour was amazing - horseradish and beetroot on the first night and tomato bread on the second night. Hubby's wood pigeon breast was beautiful and I had it on the second night. My salmon and prawn starter was very tasty. Rack of lamb and Pork Belly main courses were best lamb and pork ever [the second night we had same two main courses just swapped over] and deserts to die for. After dinner drinks in the bar sat by the roaring fire complemented the evenings and then off to a very comfortable bed in a lovely warm room. Breakfast was very good with lots of choices. A thoroughly enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ravenstone Manor? Share your experiences!