“A good night out” 5 of 5 stars

+44 01768 77 66 29
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Coach House Restaurant at Ravenstone Lodge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The restaurant is open to non-residents 7 days a week and is situated in a lovely rural setting on the A591 5 miles north of Keswick.
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“A good night out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I took dinner at Ravenstone Lodge's new Coach House Restaurant and was very pleasantly surprised. Since our last visit some time ago, the dining room has been entirely revamped and the menu has a very fresh new look as well. We sat indoors, though several fellow guests ate on the terrace outside, getting an even better view over Bassenthwaite and the high fells behind. The ambience is modern without being intrusive and the service warm and friendly. I started with scallops and chorizo, followed by confit of duck with poached duck egg and sweet potato purée, and then a deliciously light chocolate sponge dessert with ice cream, custard and cherries in brandy. All were served with style and slipped down very easily. I recommend and would definitely return if I was in the area.

Montfoort, The Netherlands
“Inspiring food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed in the Ravenstone Lodge for two nights. It is a wonderful small hotel, that combines the personal attention one gets in a good B&B with all the facilities of a hotel. The restaurant is really very good, with an inspiring mix of recipes from both the region and other parts of the world. I had a perfect sea bar on the first day of our stay, and Cumbrian sausage on the second day.

United Kingdom
“The worst meal I have ever had anywhere in the world.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

My Wife and I took two friends for dinner to Ravenstone Lodge. The meal was an unmitigated disater, only three of us were able to have the Scallop starter ( which when it arrived was two and a third scallops per person on and a lot of lettuce), my starter was country pâté which was so thin I could almost see through it. Bear in mind the cost of seven scallops was almost £21.00.
The mains were, two having lamb chops, one salmon and one 'venison with stuffed venison', there was no venison only a dried overlooked large diameter sausage containing something brown and of a very mediocre texture, this was returned as inedible, the salmon was small and overcooked, lamb chops average, some medium , some very very well done. A distinct lack of veg (two broad beans and half a potato with the chops) more lettuce with the salmon. Both my starter and my main were refunded, and the wine was nice plus the young man waiting on was attentive and pleasant, but never again will I darken the door of this establishment.

mikebcornish, Owner at The Coach House Restaurant at Ravenstone Lodge, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
I'm sorry you didn't like your meal. As far as the venison is concerned this is sourced locally and is the very best quality but you said at the time that it was your first experience of eating venison so perhaps it just isn't your type of meat. In the interests of accuracy however I will just say that you returned the dish because you didn't like it, not because "it was inedible", there is a difference. Also for the record you were then offered an alternative main course but declined. As for the scallops, you made it clear at the time you were upset there weren't enough for you all to have them and maybe we were wrong to try to stretch them so three of you could enjoy the dish but all our fish is cooked from fresh and sometimes just like other restaurants at this level we run out. Finally the pate de campagne is the chef's own homemade pate and is a favourite with our guests, it has a delicious course texture which I would challenge anyone to cut thinly as you describe and certainly nobody has ever complained previously about the portion size being too small.
So I'm sorry you didn't enjoy dining with us and would offer a meal on the house just to prove we really do offer a wonderful dining experience but I suspect we don't serve your sort of food.
New York City, New York
“Great food & excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We were recommended to have dinner at the Coach House Restaurant. From Kesswick (where we stayed with friends) it was a short drive direction Bassenthwaite and it was very easy to find the restaurant. We were pleasantly surprised - great food, good wines & excellent service. What do you need more to have a great evening! Highly recommended!

San Francisco, California
“Do Not Miss This One”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

It would be easy to overlook this great restaurant with amazing food near Keswick. One would assume a small inn/b&b would not be worth the stop unless you were staying there.you would be wrong.
While staying at Ravenstone Lodge would make it easier to dine and enjoy a meal at the Coach House, you do not have to stay there to enjoy the fine dinning..
We stayed four fantastic nights and expected to sample the local restaurants, but after one great dinner, following the best breakfast we have ever had, my wife and I decided why bother going anywhere else?
An unpretentious room with a wonderful setting and fantastic food. Dinners that you might expect in London at thrice the price, well served. Elad , the chef does a truly exceptional job in preparing memorable meals. We experienced lamb, salmon, and steak each locally sourced and accompanied by local, seasonal legumes. Creative deserts and fine service and a good wine list top it all off. Do not miss it!

• Visited March 2012