“excellent stay marred by accident” 4 of 5 stars

Armathwaite Hall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bassenthwaite Lake, Bassenthwaite CA12 4RE, England   |
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Bassenthwaite
uk
“excellent stay marred by accident”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed at Armathwaite Hall on a package. I would agree with other reviews , it is a beautiful hotel in lovely settings and the spa was brilliant. We stayed in a deluxe room which was large and comfortable - were signs of an old building but i felt this just added to the character.
The staff were friendly and attentive (some did seem to have langauge difficulties though) but always keen to help. The evening meal was great and I thought the breakfast was good also.
Now for the negative. We used the spa on the morning we left and decided to have the included cream tea before heading off. This was served in the conservatory with beautiful views of the lake. The waiter brought our scones and coffee on a lovely silver tray and was very pleasant , however he did not warn us the milk in the silver milk jug had been steamed so when my husband went to put milk in his coffee the handle was very hot and burnt his fingers. I went and mentioned this to another waiter as we thought this was very dangerous , an elderly person could have possibly dropped this scalding milk into their lap. I asked for some ice for my husbands hand. About 10 minutes later the original waiter came and asked was everything ok , not sure if he had been sent or just out of courtesy. We explained to him what had happened and he said "you should have used the serviette provided" , which of course we would have had we been warned the milk jug was hot, we again requested some ice - by this time the finger was blistering. The waiter did apologise profusely but I was disappointed that no-one seemed overly concerned that someone had been burnt and I am concerned no lessons were learnt from this unfortunate incident.
Overall a lovely weekend but left with my husbands sore fingers on a bit of a downer.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

823 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed here with two other couples for a friend's wedding and I loved it. Elements of the hotel are old fashioned but in a lovely, step back in time way (sherry on arrival - how sweet) and the spa is gorgeous - small but perfectly formed and I shan't forget sipping my glass of champagne in the outside hot tub whilst jets fly over head and a rainbow sits nicely in the background as long as I live. We dined in both the brasserie and the main fine dining restaurant and both were fab. The fine dining looked totally unsuitable for veggies but they delighted me with my own mini menu and the blueberry triffle was to die for. Breakfast was lovely but we did have to ask them to restock several items such as fruit salad. Our room was great with a TV at the foot of the bath (how cool is that!). I really do hope to come back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Lower Darwen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I was taken here by my boyfriend as a surprise for my birthday. Often when you stay in old country house hotels, you find them in need of attention which you can forgive due to their age. Armathwaite Hall has none of these problems, the public rooms are perfect, with all decoration in good order. Another bonus is that the hotel stands in a 400+ acre estate so theres plenty of gounds to enjoy with lakeside and woodlands accessable.
We were greated at reception by a warm and friendly lady who offered to get a porter for our luggage if we wanted. Our room was a Spa room which is in the more modern wing and was a good size with a huge, comfortable bed and doors onto a private patio area. Again the room was immaculate with water and apples to welcome us, along with lovely robes and slippers. Each night we ate in the formal restaurant which I know people have complained about not being able to wear t-shirts and jeans but I found dressing for dinner made the holiday more special. The food was perfect and the staff attentive without being overly friendly and not at all stuffy. I have to admit, by comparison the breakfast buffet was a let down, I've had a much better selection at lesser hotels than this but the cooked breakfasts were very good. As we were on a package which included dinner, we unfortuuatley didn't get to try the Bistro but this gives us a great excuse to return.
We made good use of the spa which was lovely especially the outdoor hot tub! The treatments were excellent with knowledgable, friendly therapists.
Whilst staying at the hotel, we also took advantage of the 2 for 1 entry into the Lake District Wildlife park which forms part of the estate and is worth a visit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Amazing pool complex, with outside sitting area. Grounds are fab and it was nice to be able to walk down to the lake, although through a bit of a wooded area so not for those with limited mobility.
We had a wonderful meal in the restaurant although think the bar area we sat in for coffee could do with a bit of an update, and the windows definitely needed a clean as numerous spider webs and dead flies present so a bit off putting.
Our bedroom was a nice size and in the old building, our only complaint was that it could do with air conditioning. I know it's not needed a lot in this country but it was so hot when we were there and the old sash windows creaked all night when left open so we didn't get a very good sleep.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I have just had a weekend at Armthwaite and I must say that it was perfect. The staff were very attentive, food gorgeous, rooms luxury and surroundings magical - one of my best hotel experiences for a while. Cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: 131 and 126
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at Armathwaite Hall for a birthday celebration. We were bowled over by the excellent service all weekend. Food was amazing at dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. We visited the spa just for a swim and hot tub - it was great. We couldn't fault this stay at all.

• Stayed September 2013
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We just stayed 5 october, 2013. Lovely room and and gracious staff and delicious dinner and comfortable bed and spaceous room.
Now here's the "however": There was annoying Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis jr., and Dean Martiin music play at lunch on Saturday afternoon and then again on Sunday morning. It was most annoying on Sunday morning as the peacefulness of a quiet morning was broken with American music kitsch :(. Too bad. Silence would have been much better. I echo the sentiment of other guests about the smoke. We had to leave the room as I was getting naucious from the smoke. Last I knew, dirty chimneys were a fire hazard.
For the amount of money they fetch, clean the chimney flue and buy some new music or turn it off!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GMsteele, General Manager at Armathwaite Hall, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
What a great review with regards to highlighting your positive experiences and fair criticisms which we do find helpful. Rest assured that we are addressing the Frank Sinatra issue! To follow on from your comments reference the 'fire and smoke', I would like to stipulate that we do in fact have the chimney swept every six months as part of our fire and safety regulations.

Been to Armathwaite Hall? Share your experiences!