“An overall brilliant stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Armathwaite Hall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bassenthwaite Lake, Bassenthwaite CA12 4RE, England   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Newcastle
“An overall brilliant stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on a great deal offered by the hotel on their website. It was called pick of the week. It was £179 for DBB, cream tea upon arrival and a £10 voucher off a spa treatment. We called reservations and spoke to Lorraine who was very efficient and friendly. We requested a modern room as we prefer modern interiors!

The drive up to the hotel was breathtaking as it was so beautiful! You can park right outside the hotel! On arrival we were offered water or sherry which was a lovely touch. The reception staff were so helpful and friendly!

We were shown to our room by Christian the porter. He was so friendly and filled us in with a brief history of the area. Our room was simply stunning. We were in room 156, a deluxe spa room. The bathroom was very large with a walk in shower and tv in the bath! The room had a sitting area, table, large tv, tea making facilities, masses of storage space, a huge comfortable bed, plush interiors, fresh fruit and water, fluffy robes and slippers, everything you could wish for!

The spa is also fabulous. We enjoyed all the facilities in particular champagne in the outdoor hot tub! The facilities are all brand new and are nipping clean. We also had a facial which was also very nice.

The only thing that tainted our stay was the service in the main dining room. We encountered problems such as our steak not cooked to our liking (after asking 5 times), potted tea over stewed, slow service, having to ask for items that should already be on the table! Putting these issues to one side, the quality of food was second to none! We ate in the brasserie on our 2nd night and we preferred the relaxed atmosphere. The food was also very good. We found the main dining room a little stuffy for our liking however we appreciate it is
personal choice! A recommendation to play some music might lighten the atmosphere perhaps!

After dinner we sat in the lounge in front of the open fires playing games supplied by the hotel, bliss! The billiard room is definitely worth a look also!

We would definitely recommend this hotel if you're looking for a quiet break in the lakes. We'll be back! Next time we will bring our dog as the hotel were so dog friendly! We loved seeing the owners dogs trotting around outside in the hotel grounds! We would like to thank the staff in particular Lorraine and Kim for making our stay a memorable one!

Mr and Mrs Armstrong

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed here for one night for our anniversary and didn't want to leave in the morning. The spa was amazing with really modern facilities and it was delightful to sit in the outdoor jacuzzi sipping champagne. The grounds were stunning.

The staff were very good, and attended to our needs. We ate at the restaurant which was also very good. The room itself was spacious and the bathroom was modern.

We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Halifax West Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I booked a weekend Spa break for myself and my wife. We have been going through a very sticky patch with our marriage and I though I need to pull out all the stops. I rang the Armathwaite Hall and spoke to a lovely girl called Gemma who advised of the lovely room type called the Hartley Tower Suite, this combined with a five course gourmet dinner, and 60 minutes of spa treatments for my wife and I on the Sunday Morning. The cost was £440 for one night but i had chosen an expensive room and i need to save my marriage so what the heck. I then advised Gemma that I needed some Flowers placing in the room after we had seen the room as we're to nip out and then they would place the flowers in the room. Also as my wife is very fussy regarding Champagne I asked if I fetched my own would they place this on ice in the room at the same time as leaving the flowers, all of which was not a problem. We were utterly impressed when we arrived with the london drive through the grounds which lead to the mightly impressive building. We were checked in all will ease and shown to our room by the bell hop, he the showed us the winding staircase which leads to your own private balcony will stunning views of Bassenthwaite Lake. I then sneaked back downstairs with the bell hop to write on the card which was with the beautiful flowers arranged by the hotel, I then gave our bellhop the champagne and asked if he could place this on the roof tower, when he placed the flowers in the room. My wife and I went for a quick stroll around the grounds to give the hotel time to work there magic for me, which was carried out perfectly, my wife's look of amazement when she walked back into the room to see the beautiful bouquet of flowers was a picture, at this point I lead her up the winding staircase to the rooftop, to see my bottle of champagne chilling nicely on ice along side two champagne flutes. PERFECT. The evening meal was sumptuous along with the good variety of wines. Our spa treatments the following morning with Gemma and Claire was unbelievable, total relaxation.
All in all this hotel in my eyes is a winner throughout, from the excellent food, extremely courteous staff, well just everything really. Our 10 th wedding anniversary is on 1st December and thanks to this hotel and all there help ill get to it, would ideally like to take my wife back, but probably the funds will not allow such extravagance, but all in all please, please ignore the few negative comments, there is no pleasing everybody, in my eyes this hotel, the staff, food, spa facilities and incredible.
If the manager of the hotel reads this please award yourself a massive pat on the back, a stunning overnight stay, my marriage back on track, and all with the help of your fantastic staff
I'm so grateful

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Workington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Having spent £173 pound on an 'indulgence day' I was expecting something special. The grounds and spa facility themselves were spectacular. On arrival we were given a tour of the facilities, however we had to seek out information regarding when lunch was served, times of treatment etc, as staff had forgotten to issue our itinerary sheet for the day. it would have been nice to be offered a tea/coffee or soft drink on arrival, but these cost extra. There was however lots of water available.
The gym was well equipped and staff were at hand to provide any guidance you required. The equipment was modern, but I should have taken my headphones to plug into the entertainment on the cardiovascular equipment. There were plenty of towels and sweat towels available to use in the gym.
The whole water area was fantastic, with the exception of shortage of sun lounges at the pool side, in the morning there was one spare which is not adequate when there are two of you. In the afternoon there was no available sun lounges. The outside hot tub, pool, aroma room, steam room, sauna and indoor hot tub area were well maintained and clean.
The lunch was the most disappointing aspect of the day. Having worked out in the gym, swam and used the other water facilities myself and my friend had worked up quite an appetite. Although it states light lunch, the portions were very small and not enough to sustain energy levels from 10am to after 6pm. Water was served in a plastic jug with 'pimms' advertised on the side, I expected better from a quality hotel facility. Water during treatment was also served out of plastic beakers.
Part of the package included one and a half hours treatment. However my treatments only lasted one hour ten minutes. The treatment rooms were nicely lit with coloured wall lights, however the temperature throughout the treatment areas was on the cool side. The post treatment relaxation area was a nice room with warm blankets, but you had to walk through a well lit area to get to it. Better design would have had the treatment area corridor built onto the post treatment area. There was a mix up with both my own treatment and my friends when our therapists moved from one treatment to another, despite it being clearly documented on our itinerary.
In conclusion the facilities and surroundings were excellent, but the cost, poor organisation and amount of food served let it down.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Bodrum, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

What can I say? This place is totally amazing. I booked a spa stay through another company and I couldn't have been more happy with it.
The hotel is a fantastic, an old manor house tucked away on the edge of the lake with beautiful scenery. The Resturant overlooks the lawn and the lake and you can also watch the deer run around the grounds.
The rooms are of an exceptional standard and are extremely clean.
As for the spa, well, I certainly came from the break very.
Both the al a carte and bistro eateries are a touch on the expensive side but with the quality of the food an service, we were happy to overlook this.
This hotel and spa is definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed September 2012
whitehaven
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Another great stay at this hotel ,stayed in a spa room with its own patio area ,bed was very comfy and the room was lovely the only thing that I was not too happy about was the bathroom was on the small side (room 142)compared to the other spa rooms we have stayed in previously We ate in the main dinning room and the food again could not be faulted ,the breakfast was also very good .

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I went to Armathwaite Hotel and Spa for a romantic weekend with my partner. It was perfect the staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful, the setting was beautiful (I may be biased as I was proposed to on the edge of the lake) and the food was amazing! The room was very large and the bed was huge and very comfortable. Our package included full use of the spa and gym which was very clean and well equipped. This is the ideal place for a total getaway and relax.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Armathwaite Hall? Share your experiences!