“Much better this year!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico

You added Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico to your Saves list
Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   200 Coco Beach Boulevard | Road 955-I, Rio Grande 00745, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
“Much better this year!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2005

Stayed at the Paradisus in Puerto Rico again this year (Mar. 3-7). We returned with our business group. Last year they had only been opened 3 weeks when we arrived. This year there was a vast improvement! Staff was still friendly and eager to help you. (at their pace of course) Food was good. We were able to get reservations at Romantico. Which I had read on this site was a problem in the past. After our group dinner the, 1st night, could not get into room, at midnight. Flagged down a golf cart and was told in a few minutes security would arrive. My husband and I expected to be there until two or three. But, to our surprise security was there in about 7 minutes. A word of advice. Do not put your key in the same pocket as your MAGNETIC name badge. Later found out about 5 or so couples had the same problem. We did have some issues: sand on the floor of our room the day we arrived. They lost the lugage of one couple. Located it an hour or so before our group dinner( inverted numbers on tag.) Handle fell into the tub while showering. We left it in plain view and it was fixed when we returned. (several hours later) We found out quickly why the Mirador was alway empty. It is the restuarant of the Birds. They could remedy this I was told by installing fishing line so the view was not obstructed and would keep the birds out. As I walked away from the salad bar a bird helped himself to the cheese I had just used. Our bed was turned down every night. Our last night there was no different except at 1:30 when we returned we had one wash cloth and not one towel. Called the operator and within 15 minitues we had our towels. We really did enjoy our stay and the issues I mentioned are minor compared to last year. I do hope they keep improving. I would return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2005

We just returned from a 5 night stay in the oceanfront Villa's. We travel a great deal and some were all-inclusive. The Paradisus Puerto Rico is now at the top of our list of fabulous places to stay. Excellent restaurants and food, service, attention to detail, 2 personal butlers on call 24/7, excellent rooms and the list goes on. This is a new resort (a bit less than a year old) so there were a couple of kinks here and there, but nothing that would detract from a marvelous vacation! Book your restaurant reservations UPON ARRIVAL. Particularly good was the "Romantico". A few of the others are buffet but quite good. Our only bad experience was the Italian restuarant (buffet). Bad service, the food was well....ok but not what we had come to expect based on the other fine dining experiences we had previously. Our biggest problem was having to explore and figure the place out pretty much on our own. We received some very helpful information when we arrived, but if you are not part of a "group", you will not receive the "guided tour". The beach is not worthy of being called a beach due to the very rocky conditions. This is, by the way, a condition that cannot be helped by the Paradisus. The government owns the beach and nothing can be done to make for better footing, etc. The pools are excellent and we had a great time anyhow. Overall, we were extremely pleased. The attitude of EVERYBODY was ALWAYS.."what can I do to make your stay with us even better?" except for the waiter at the Italian restaurant of course. We rate The Paradisus a true 4.75 star facility.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2005

We just got back from this great place last night and we are all really missing it. My daughter woke up this morning and wanted to go back! We found this hotel purely by coincidence, we were originally scheduled to vaction in the Bahamas on a remote island, but Bahamas Air cancelled our connecting flight a week before we were to leave. My wife and I scrambled to find another destination and found the Paradisus. They had availability for the exact dates and we booked it. We lucked out and loved our trip.

Everyone who worked there, and I mean everyone, was extremely helpful and went out of there way to make sure everything was taken care of. As an example, I forgot my cell phone charger and asked the front desk clerk were the nearest Verizon store was and the front desk manager over heard this and offered up his Verizon charger. I borrowed it a few times and he always said no problem. This is just one example and I won't bore you with others, but everyone went out of there way.

The food was very good for an all inclusive, but not like in a small gourmte restaurant. We were not expecting 5 star restaurants so we were very pleased, if you are expecting a 5 star restaurant go to one don't go to an all inclusive resort.

The pool, grounds, rooms and everthing else is very very nice. The only negative is the beach. It is small and the water is not so great, but pretty to look out to. My wife and I take a vacation every year to the carribean and have been to many great beaches and new this was not going to be a great beach based on the reviews here and thus were not disappointed. We have small children who love the pools so that is where we were going to be anyway. All I can say is if you are a beach person you might want to try another hotel.

Also, we noticed that the hotel never seems crowded even though they were at capacity.

Price- My wife and I thought this hotel is an absolute steal for what you get!! We were actually wondering how they can employ so many people (always somone around to take care of every need) and deliver such great service for such a low price.

One last note, we agree with other reviews about tipping. We tipped a great waiter we had for dinner many nights and our service was second to none. We did not ask what he made, but for a couple of $20s he went way out of his way and we had better service than in many upscale restaurants here in Chicago. We also tipped the bartenders by the pool and never had to wait for a drink.

Stay here, it is an undiscovered gem!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2005

Well, The place is beautiful. The beach is barely so so..no real swimming as it is shallow and murky. The help is excellent and is not paid well so tip them as much as you can. A wonderful waiter there said he was only paid $ 5.50 an hour. Frankly I am not a fan of loud music and it was hard to escape the noise coming from the pool area..it made me nuts. The shows they had were first class from stage presentations to belly dancing. The food is excellent but their system of reservations for the restaurants is completely out of whack. They would say they had no room when they were half empty and people were rightly miffed at the way they handled it. They should have no reservations at all and it would work a lot better. There is a Mexican style restaurant there...skip it..not worth it. The public space, bars etc. is very classy with marble floors, fountains and comfortable and spacious. It is not a barefoot and torn jeans or wet bathingsuit type of atmosphere at all...more like a swank hotel. The aesthetics of the whole place are excellent and the people very nice and that is why I am giving it a four star. Be prepared to gain five pounds!

• Stayed February 2005
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2005

Just returned from a geat vacation at Paradisus Puerto Rico. Beatiful grounds, great pool, good food, friednly service, great Spa, great tenis, we had a wonderful relaxing time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2005

This was the first time in Puerto Rico, for my husband and I. We had a really great visit. The grounds were clean, very friendly staff, housekeeping staff were very efficient. The food was great. The onsite restrauants were great. Weather could not have been better. The golf course is still under work. The hotel was beautiful, bellboys and staff were so friendly. By the end of the week they new you by name or bungalow number.
The beach was nice with all the water activities. The pool was great. Really nice sitting areas around pool and lots of lounge chairs. No problem finding any. Would like visit again.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2005

My husband & I just returned from a 6 night stay at the Paradisus. I noticed lots of mixed reviews, so thought I would write my own to help out anyone that is planning a trip.

Royal Services-
I'd like to start by suggesting to everyone to book a "Royal Service" room. I was unsure if this room category would be worth the extra cost. IT WAS!!! It is especially worth it if you want a quiet, pampered stay. You will be provided with rooms that are in closest proximity to the beach and pools (although still very private and far from any loud activitiy). Butler service is a phone call away - the butlers were fantastic - they gave us a thorough tour of the resort with tips and ideas for things to do. They set up our ocean front deck (which had a nice jacuzzi) with a "champagne sunset" including a bottle of champagne and a set up bubble-filled jacuzzi to relax in. They also were able to "squeeze us in" to a restuarant of choice although it was booked on my birthday, and when we returned to our room there was a birthday cake for me! These are just a few the the perks of this Royal Service. There is also a private lounge area which has free internet acess, breakfast, snacks and drinks throughout the day. It was a nice place to grab coffee in the morning and read the paper. There is an "adults only" pool which had plush teak lounge chairs and palapas surrounding the pool. The music was quiet and relaxing, the bartenders there were fantastic. One tip - grab a chair early, although the bartenders will bring up regular beach lounge chairs when the plush ones run out - I just like to be spoiled. Royal Service also reserved an ocean front palapa (bed-type cushioned lounge under a thatched roof) each day, where we took our 5:30 naps).

Staff-
Okay - moving on to the rest of the resort. Everyone in the staff was terrific - and very helpful. There was a "mess up" when we first arrived, mostly because of the hour that we arrived (4:30 am). Although we were supposed to have a Royal Services room, the front desk had sent us to Suite which was not in this category. When the bellman brought this to our attention, we went back to the front desk, where they were not able to do anything until the morning. So, we had to stay for the night in one room, then move to another the next day. Because of this mix up, the hotel quickly upgraded us from a Garden View Royal Services Suite to and Ocean View Suite, which I thought was a great way to handle the mix up!

Restaurants -
Make your reservations upon arrival! Make sure to go to Romantico - it was the best there. If for some reason you can't get in, stop by the restaurant at 6:00 (opening time) and they can sometimes squeeze you in. Bamboo was good - a typical hibachi restaurant. Avocado was best for lunch, and dinner was okay, but service at dinner was slow. My husband & I are not big fans of buffets, but thought that Avocado's lunch buffet & Toscano's dinner buffet were both great. Please realize that all restaurants have lunch buffets! Mirador is on the beach/large pool, but has very casual food, and seemed to have poor service anytime we went there.

All-Inclusive-
We have only been to one other all-inclusive resort (Sandals St. Lucia) and that didn't compare. The brands of liquor at the bar are great for an all-inclusive (although with royal services you can get just about anything you want - just ask). The food is very good quality and the grounds are spectacular!

Property-
The Paradisus is beautiful! The open-air lobby area is georgous at night - lit by hundreds of candles and lanterns. The main pool area is huge. This area is expecially fantastic for families with children (try to grab a palapa to hang out in - many families used this as a shady escape). There is also a swim up bar in this area and lively music. It is true, the beach is not a clear-blue swimmable beach. However, for someone like me who loves the ambience of the ocean surrounding you while you enjoy the pool - it is perfect! It is lagoon-like (the waves break far out over a reef) so many people are out on paddle boats and hobie cats. It is still beautiful - don't let this stop you from coming to the Paradisus! There is a very large sand beach area with many, many lounge chairs, so there is always somewhere to lay around.

Our experience overall was excellent (and I am a tough critic when it comes to resorts). Go - enjoy! And - try out that royal service (Travelocity gave us a good deal on this - look there!)

Email me with any questions!

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!