“Amazing!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico

You added Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico to your Saves list
Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   200 Coco Beach Boulevard | Road 955-I, Rio Grande 00745, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Rio Grande
“Amazing!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

My trip to Puerto Rico was an absolutely AMAZING experience! Staying at Gran Melia Golf Resort is highly recommended and is a so beautiful. The staff is extremely nice and welcoming and the services are quick (except for the the go cart service around the resort. They aren't as timely getting to you. A lot of times me and my friend ended up just walking after waiting several minutes for the cart) I recommend eating outside of the resort. There are a lot of local resturants in close proximity to the resort; they are cheaper and so much better taste wise! Overall this trip was a 10/10 and I will definitely be returning!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Sharonda S,

Thanks for choosing our resort to spend your last vacations with us, and as well thank you for the review. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the resort; it is our goals to make sure your stay was graded 5 stars and are happy to accomplish that. We really appreciate the time you took to write to us.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in the near future. Feel free to contact us before your next visit if there is anything that we can assist you with prior to your arrival.

GMPRGuestExperience@granmeliapr.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
  • Polish first
Torrance, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

This is a beautifully maintained lush property with all amenities one might expect from a luxury resort - tennis courts, gym, spa, private beach area with lots of cabanas, an amazing pool, open bungalows/cottages with a balcony, fine dining restaurants - which to me kinda justifies the price.

We were there for 2 nights, but couldn't spend a lot of idle time there as we had made other outdoor plans.
THE GOOD
- Location: ideal for people spending most of the time around San Juan & Fajardo - this is located about 30-40 mins from both places, & very close to El Yunque rainforest.
- Rooms: Big & spacious with a balcony, very large & stylish bath, tables & couch
- The Property: Well designed, spread out & maintained - gives a royal feel - surrounded by lots of greenery & golf area
- The Pool(s); They have a huge pool with various depths (interconnected areas basically), and have cabanas not only by its side, but also cabana platforms built in the water itself. Most amazing is the 'Bali beds' which can be rented - they are comfortable for a group of about 4 & face the pool (late night, you can sneak into them & enjoy a calm poolside night for free). Pool also has a water net for playing, and music
- The beach: All yours to enjoy, lots of cabanas placed. They also apparently have activities organized - Yoga, Beach volleyball, etc - on the beach but we couldn't experience that

THE BAD
- It is about 3 kms from the main road, and one needs to do that if there's a need to buy something (see next point)
- Limited & super-expensive food/drink options - breakfast buffet is $24, the fine dining restaurants have nice ambiance, but are not worth the food (expect $25+ pp), esp for vegetarians. So you can try out the Asian restaurant once (nice seating), but have food outside unless you really want to splurge
- No free wifi in room. It is only provided in public areas
- No complimentary drinking water. Even the Ice machine close to our bungalow wasn't working
- Long walk between the rooms & car park, pool, etc. They have golf carts to carry people and luggage, but you might need to wait for them to come

THE UGLY - nothing really

Room Tip: The bungalows are spread out wide, ideal is the 1500 & 1600 series as it is closer to car park...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear Dipen007,

Your Meliá experience was worth mentioning, thank you for taking the time to do so.

We are so happy to learn that you had a nice relaxing vacation. Reading thru your notes, it makes us feel like we have accomplished what we set out to do. We have taken note of your suggestions and we will be working on them to ensure a subsequent great experience.

Hope we can welcome you back again in the near future!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I had the best experience at the Grand Melia Golf Resort in Puerto Rico. The staff was awesome. Upon my arrival I was given an upgraded room because it was my birthday along with a complimentary bottle of red wine. Minus the rain, my stay was excellent. You had everything that you needed right there on the resort. Along with car rental services( very affordable). I want to give a special thank you to Godfrey, he went over and beyond when it came to helping me and my friend with finding things to do off the resort. Thanks to him we were able to get to Old San Juan and enjoyed some site seeing and great food. I will definitely be returning.... :o)

Room Tip: Ocean view is the best!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear Marquitta E,

Feliz Cumpleaños (Happy Birthday) thank you for celebrating that special moment with us.

We take much pride on taking part of our guest’s experience. Your many wonderful compliments for our hotel staff are sincerely appreciated and we are delighted that your experience with Godfrey’s services was so helpful.

We look forward to welcome you back for another great stay.

Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

we went and stayed over memorial day weekend. The property is nice with a good pool and nice lawns. The courtyard is a great place.

However the service is bad. The front desk and house keeping are not responsive.

Food- very bad especially Luigi Pizza. We ordered a pizza and it came half baked and practically inedible. After calling 4 times they took the pizza back and promised us a refund. However when i went to check out they had not applied the refund . I had to waste 20 minutes during the check out

The website talks about a beach access. It is nothing but a sham. there is a small strip of sand and usually the water reaches the rocks. There are much better beaches around th eproperty

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear jaxdoc123,

Thank you for your feedback and please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced while staying with us at the Gran Meliá Golf Resort Puerto Rico.

I was very disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with the service offered by our resort staff. The issues you identified are areas we will continue working to improve.

We greatly appreciate your business and we appreciate you choosing to stay with the Meliá brand.

Feel free to let me know if our travels bring you back to Puerto Rico as my team will be pleased to arrange your reservations again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Gran Melia is Beautiful and well-maintained. The room we had was in great shape. Everything was super clean and organized. The housekeeping did a great job refreshing the room each day. The couch, however, looked very dirty. But you don’t go there to sit on a couch. Perfect place to relax, with lots of hammocks. The food at the hotel is very pricey (we had bad service at the wet bar restaurant)
The staff is very pleasant and treats the visitors with a great deal of respect. The concierge was able to give us great information about the local area, when requested.
Rent a car before you go unless you want to be stuck in the hotel and having to buy overpriced food. The roads are perfectly fine and safe. We did not have any trouble.
Luquillo Kiosks are 15 minutes away by car - great food and entertaining people. We went on Tuesday night to grab a late snack, and we heard a salsa band practicing in one of the kiosks. We stopped in and danced a little bit, and got to meet a couple of interesting locals!
Fajardo is about 20 - 25 minutes away by car, and you can access tours for the Bioluminescent Bay (however, it is vital that you book these before your trip if you want to get in). We were extremely lucky that one tour group had a cancellation, but all of the other tour companies said their next available tour was over a week away.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Paula T,

Thank you so very much for staying with us and for sharing your kind comments regarding our beautiful rooms, housekeeping, pleasant staff and the hammocks that makes the perfect setting to your romantic getaway.

We can't wait to serve you again and create more unforgettable moments.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed at the Gran Melia over Memorial Day weekend, we arrived on Fri 5/23 and left in Mon, 5/26. First the pros...the resort is beautiful, I was surprised at how clean the resort was, very impressive for such a large property. The staff is wonderful, very friendly and helpful. We arrived early on Friday at 10 am and we had a room by 11:30 am (thank you Karina in the Red Level Lounge). Emilio got us to our room and was very informative and accommodating. Highly recommend Red Level, definitely worth the money. We has a nice big ocean front room, access to the Red Level pool which was soooooo relaxing. We reserved a Bali bed and just hung out by the pool and had drinks at the bar (thank you Ruben). On Sunday we had a message, again great experience. Now the cons; As others have said and I agree 100 percent the food was a disappointment! It was expensive and not worth the money. The breakfast was included in our package and it was the typical buffet, nothing to write home about. Room service had very limited options, and lunch at the Wet Bar was underwhelming. The Japanese and Italian restaurants were decent but overpriced. The free happy hour for red level guests was okay, just wine, beer, sangria, and a few appetizers. This resort is far, so again, as others have said, rent a car or pay $80 each way to San Juan. Overall nice experience, but I don't think I would stay again. I think there are better options in PR.

Room Tip: Chinos red level. We were in bldg 18, very close to the main lobby and the red level pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear mrsb070712,

I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write about your Red Level Experience and for your kind comments about our staff, rest assured that we will be conveying Karina, Ruben and Emilio to all as an example of how their efforts are appreciated and noticed by our guests.

We apologize for the food not being up to your liking. Our F&B Department is always looking for new options to add in our restaurants carte to wow our guests. We are very proud of our culinary team as they work very hard to deliver on our visitors’ expectations.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Good:
I was impressed at check-in when the gentleman assisting me confirmed my feather allergies, offered to move us to a room with 2 beds (I was traveling with my mom) and then had a supervisor ensure that the room was clean and feather free before sending us there. Even better, he gave me a beer while I waited & made some great recommendations for our trip!

This resort is beautiful. The grounds are lush gardens with plenty of flowering plants, palm trees, and wildlife that was fun to encounter. We saw & heard birds everywhere, we also found iguanas, lizards, & a huge crab.

The rooms are in smaller groupings and are spaced enough that you do not hear your neighbors. (We rarely saw ours either.) Our room was spacious, clean and the beds were comfortable. We had a garden view room and I was pleased to see that the beach was literally on the other side of the stairs to our room. Perfect!

The beach, while not great for swimming or shelling, was beautiful with lots of trees for shade, rocks to sit on and hammocks to relax in. It was also the perfect place to enjoy an amazing sunset! If you get a chance, do walk onto the beach at night and look up. The stars are awesome--especially if you are from the city!

The pools were huge & well maintained. As I like calm, we went for the Red Level Pool and enjoyed the lack of crowds. And we enjoyed a Bali Bed which was included for Red Level. It was amazingly relaxing to have our own shade, a comfy spot, and a fan overhead! They did not seem to care about towel cards at red level—another bonus!

Red Level Lounge was nice. Internet worked well there and the access to water, coffee, and a quiet place to unwind was valuable. The happy hour (5-8) was good but it does change locations—so be aware & ask the front desk for the spot of the day. The appetizers provided were fine—not spectacular but free so I’m not complaining. The drinks were not strong but they tasted good, and they did offer local beer too!

Breakfast at Café Soleil was worth the red level upgrade! (Normal price per adult for this is $24. I recommend figuring that in when deciding if you want to go red level.) The food was standard American fare, scrambled eggs, pancakes, meats, pastries and bagels with a few twists like guava juice or huevos rancheros thrown in. They had good coffee.

The location was good for me, but that is open to interpretation. We rented a car with the intent of exploring some and were not disappointed. Both El Yunque Rainforest and Luquillo Beach (The Balneario & Kiosks) were on the itinerary and this location was great for that—within 15 minutes of each. (HINT: for a scenic daytime drive take the long road to/from the airport—187 to 3—awesome views & beaches along the path!)

The Bad: This place is not perfect.

The Butler Service was interesting. We didn't meet a Butler or have anyone try to approach us until our last night. Not like Butler Service I have experienced at other resorts. Poorly done.

The Room Service was nothing short of awful. It took 2 HOURS and 2 phone calls to get a burger and fries. The burger was in my opinion, inedible, it was frozen beef that tasted like freezer. They did try and make amends for the delays by giving us a dessert for free. It was the best part of the meal and we were grateful to have something edible. Regardless, we didn't eat on site again after that!

Cleanup from room service was also BAD. The tray was removed from our room but, it sat with the gross burger remains on a ledge under the villa’s stairs for over a day. Not cool.

Parking was ridiculous. They had a huge lot for valet, which was never used due to higher valet costs for no real benefit. (Valet was by the lobby, regular parking was closer to the rooms). We had to go to the Parking Attendant to get them to open up this area once after we got tired of driving around a full lot.

The front desk couldn't add parking onto the room, I had to check in, then walk back to the parking attendant to do that. This was redundant and a waste of my time.

Overall: We had a great stay & the place is beautiful. I would go back, especially for the price. I would absolutely go red level. I would not go without a car.

Room Tip: Red Level was worth it!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear MelicitaB,

I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback and great experience with us.

In our constant effort to continue and improve our overall quality of service, your comments let us know that we are on the right path. I'm very pleased to know that our facilities were very accommodating for you and that you enjoy the Red Level experience.

We apologize for the inconveniences you had during your stay. Your comments are being shared with the departments to ensure we take corrective measures to give perfect vacations to our future guests.

Hope we can serve you again in the near future!

GMPRGuestExperience@granmeliapr.com

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!