“Great grounds, rooms need work” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico

Save Saved
You added Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico to your Saves list
Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   200 Coco Beach, Rio Grande 00745, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Rio Grande
Aventura, Florida, United States
“Great grounds, rooms need work”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This place was designed to be magnificent and majestic and for the most part, it is. The central areas and lobby/bar area and meeting rooms are lovely.
But the rooms are in need to upgrades of furniture, AC equipment and overall maintenance.
Management should be proud of Ivan Sotomayor Serra and how he does all he can for his guests, as does Ed Oneill
The few staff who speak english were helpful, but they are in a distinct minority.

Room Tip: Red level is nice but likely not a great investment. If the place is crowded, you may have to fight...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Mariana R, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Sam:

We appreciate the interest you place in our organization, and those times when you make observations which point us to specific areas of improvement.

As an organization focused on continuous improvement, we value as well those instances of personal commendations.

I am humbled by your remarks, but in all fairness those in the limelight as those behind the stage are just as responsible when clients like you feel satisfied with our work.

Thank you on behalf of all our staff – they are the true heroes.

Cordially yours and always at your service,

Iván Sotomayor
Guest Experience Manger

3,035 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I was so nervous going to this resort! I had gotten an amazing deal and jumped right on it without looking up the reviews! Once I started reading, I thought I made the biggest mistake!!! Me,38, and my boyfriend, 47- had the most romantic time!!! Our room was beautiful! The walk to the pool was a little far, but if your That lazy, you can for a golf cart to pick you up! The pool was beautiful and clean! The grounds were amazing! The food at tempo and Nami was great!! Only advice, we got room service one night and it took about an hour- oh well, we kept busy until the food came :) the only other minor issue was the couples massage. We didn't like it but maybe it's because we are spoiled at home with our therapists that we go to all the time. The resort was quite and didn't have loud drunks or screaming kids. There was no beach but we are poolside people and I knew this before going. Beautiful sunset tho! If you are looking for a beautiful resort, quite and romantic- this is your place! Don't listen to most of the complainers- your on vacation..... Don't sweat the small stuff!!! Can't wait to go back!!! Chris n Michelle

• Stayed March 2013
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Pros:

- Beautiful grounds and pool
- Nice rooms

Cons:
- They don't honor reservations for particular rooms (i.e. king bed vs. two double beds, first floor vs. second floor, two rooms next to each other). They will promise you a particular room when you call to reserve but when you arrive they'll just tell you that they gave your room to someone else and you can come back to the front desk the next day to try to get the type of room that you were originally promised. They won't give you anything for the inconvenience.

- Staff at front desk extremely unhelpful. There always seems to be a line of frustrated people trying unsuccessfully to get issues resolved.

- Water at the beach is very shallow, good for little kids but bad if you want to swim.

- Not enough loungers at the pool. Some people come very early in the morning and put towels on the loungers to reserve them but everyone else has nowhere to sit.

- They try to get money out of you at every turn. For example, they charge $15 for self parking even though the hotel is in the middle of nowhere with ample parking spots.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I went wife my wife and 14 year old son for 7 nights. First time in Puerto Rico. I noticed a bunch of negative reviews so I was a little nervous at first. I looked at a map so I knew we were a half hour drive from the San Juan Airport. Simple things like that should not be a surprise to anyone!! Check in was quick and easy. Everone I spoke to who worked for the hotel spoke English! The room was huge, very nicely furnished, with 2 big flat screen tv's and all the amenities of home! From a fully stocked kitchen to a washer/dryer to a huge leather couch in the living room. The room was just a short walk to the restaurants and pools. When your in the condo/timeshare section of the hotel parking is free. along with the BaliBeds at the condo only pool! It was well with the cost of the rental car to be able to go anywhere at any time during our stay. It's a 10 minute drive to the local Supermarket (Ralphs),which had everything our local NY supermarket has! You'll pass all kinds of American fast food places if your out and hungry. 5 minutes further down the road was a Walmart. 15 minutes the other way was the public beach in the town of Luquilla. The beach at the hotel was the only negative of the whole resort! Luquilla is where you'll find great seafood and local Puerto Rican food that are cheaper than the hotels restaurants.(which by the way, are expensive if your from Kansas) but as a New Yorker traveling on vacation to a resort, was not over expensive. The Gran Melia has 3 upscale restaurants. One Asian, one Italian, one gourmet Puerto Rican. It also has a cheaper buffet restaurant and a couple of bars.We were not disappointed at any of the food, but you MUST make reservations!! or you will have to wait!!
If the resort was on a better beach this would of been a five star review! The pools were huge and great, but I love the waves of the ocean and you have to go outside the property to find that. I hope this review helps. I would definitely recommend the Extra Week or exchange for the Gran Melia and the Sol Melia.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Pembroke Pines, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed at the Gran Melia from March 21- 25, 2013.

For a few days each March, I trade in the stresses of life for sun, sea and sand. This year’s annual excursion took me to the shores of la isla del encanto, better known as Puerto Rico.

Here are my top three reasons for vacationing in Puerto Rico, specifically at the breathtaking Gran Meliá Golf Resort.

1. Puerto Rico is Convenient. Puerto Rico is easily accessible from the contiguous United States. The flight is a quick 2 ½ hours (from south Florida) and the Caribbean island is an unincorporated territory of the United States, meaning your cell phone, iPad (think Google Maps, Pandora + Yelp) and your U.S. currency all work 100% the same as they do stateside. Yes, one less thing to worry about while traveling and dining throughout the island and no unexpected cellular roaming charges when you return home, winning! Also, if you are not too comfortable with Spanish, no worries, most service professionals on the island speak English fluently.

2. Gran Meliá Resort Offers an Exclusive Location. The Gran Meliá is situated on a peninsula in the town of Rio Grande, about 25 minutes east of Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport (SJU). It is an easy drive, a rental car is recommended, and takes you just far enough outside of the hustle and bustle of the city to offer a truly soothing retreat. This location offers tranquil surroundings and beautiful views of Coco Beach and is a 5 minute drive from El Yunque National Forest, one of the most sought-after attractions on the island for hiking and other rain forest adventures. If you are looking for serenity and views of a tropical paradise coupled with the exclusivity of a high-end family friendly resort, I assure you, the Gran Meliá is the place for you.

3. You Can't Beat a Memorable Vacation Where Value Meets Luxury. Once you decide that the Gran Meliá is the resort for you, splurge a little and go for the Red Level access. Red Level caters to guests desiring a highly-personalized stay. In addition to a private lounge, a daily complimentary beer and wine happy hour, an upgraded suite, access to the private pool, discounts on dining at all of the gourmet restaurants on-site, and private check-in and check-out (all of which we took full advantage of), the Red Level access also affords a daily complimentary gourmet breakfast buffet and a personal on-call butler. Yes, it is definitely worth it and if you really want to ensure that everything goes flawlessly, call on Ivan Sotomayor, the VIP guest services manager, before you head down and he will make sure everything is perfect once you and your guests arrive. Ivan is truly a God-send and will take good care of you. Be sure to tell him Kelliann sent you, name dropping will definitely help the cause.

So there you have it, my top three reasons for vacationing in Puerto Rico.

One thing to keep in mind while traveling internationally: the swiftness of customer service differs from country to country. Keep in mind that you are on vacation, so a slower pace is acceptable. I find that Americans tend to be a bit pushy. Take it easy, my friend, you're on vacation! With that said, I will say that the service at the Grand Melia PR is average. It was on par with the serviced I received throughout the island.. very laid back attitudes.

Also, notice that Ivan responds to each not-so-good review on Trip Advisor.. It's hard to please everyone, but that does not stop him from trying. Brownie points!

Room Tip: If you are red level, request a room closest to the private pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear kMcDiva:

We are pleased to read your analysis regarding vacationing in our facility in “la Isla del Encanto – Puerto Rico”. Puerto Rico as a world class location has a lot to offer to tourists with diverse interests – the Melia organization in Puerto Rico contributes daily with high quality service and spectacular facilities.

We are appreciative of your comments on the merits of our Red Level Service, one has to concur on your remark “caters to guests desiring a highly-personalized stay”. We feel honored with your personal recognition comments, may I clarify that all the credit is due to many unknown officers and employees who daily support our offering with high quality work – kudos to them!

Responding to most reviews, be them praising us or not, is one of our most important activities. All reviews have value, regardless whether we like what is said of us or not. It is the “true voice of our guests”, the ones for which we strive daily to meet their expectations. One thing is clear in this process, we are accessible: before – during – after the guests leave our Resort, and are ready to face up and respond to their diverse needs.

Cordially yours,

Iván Sotomayor
Guest Experience Manager
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

OMG! I'm still on vacation and we don't check out till Saturday April 6th and I can't wait. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to be sad my vacation is over but I've just had enough of Gran Melia Puerto Rico. I should've listened to the not so great reviews, but my wife and I thought we would give it a shot.

The property is a resort and the first visual impact is "wow.". They have bungalows, golf carts, palm trees, a beach, a massive pool and a great lobby. The basic garden level room is large and the bed is comfy but the phone receiver smelled funky and the furniture is a bit outdated. The little details like cleaning the a/c vent, dust in the (crooked) light switches, and in the corners were not cool. Visiting the pool is a bit disappointing. It's very photogenic on the websites but the details in person are lacking. Everyone drops their resort towels to "save" their spot on lounge chairs that are not broken. If you don't get there early enough you will settle for a white plastic chair (like the extra ones you might have in your garage or patio for extra seating) or broken lounge chair just to put your stuff on something. The beach is great for strolling and a good backdrop for sunsets while walking across the "aged" grass and eroded, rocky beach. I suggest taking the 15 min drive to Luquillo Beach and spending the $25 for parking, 2 loung chairs and an umbrella. To top it off piña coladas con rum are $4.

The killer about this resort is the customer service or lack of it. Don't get me wrong, there some really great people that work here but there are also some that should re evaluate there jobs in the hospitality industry or the resort needs to revamp their training. Don't make me feel like I'm inconveniencing you to do your job. There have been absurd wait times (over 2 hours for a bottle opener, 45 min for room service to return to our room for the appetizer we ordered that they forgot to bring), the front desk employee shrugging her shoulders at us saying "I don't know" multiple times to being transferred to another department mid sentence. They are rude on the phone and in person, management keeps trying to make up for everything by comping their breakfast buffet, which is great, but it sucks to keep calling them out on their lack of service. It's frustrating and I'm supposed to be on vacation where I chill out and pay others for hospitality and service and that's not the case.

I would also suggest renting a car, spend the extra money so you can get away or just stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

After reading all the terrible reviews, my wife and I decided to give this hotel the benefit of the doubt. I'm so disappointed that we did. Though the hotel is beautiful and on beautiful grounds, the service here is ridiculous. I mean it, it's terrible. Most of the staff acts like they're doing you a favor to do their job. And forget about room service. If you want or need something, make sure you call at least 2 hours before needing it, and be prepared to keep calling to make sure you get it. I would not recommend anyone stay in this hotel. It's not worth the aggravation. Save your money and go stay at a holiday inn. You'll for sure get better service.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!