First let me say that I have traveled throughout Puerto Rico many times and I have stayed at many different hotels ,bed and breakfasts, and resorts. Upon first impression of the Gran Melia, I was taken into a tropical paradise, Driving on what looks to be a deserted road turned into an oasis of picturesque landscapes. You drive thru the Trump golf course leading your way to the resort. Passing many iguanas , cats, and tropical birds, not to mention what seems to be about 20 speed bumps. Once you arrive at the resort you feel as though you have been whisked away to a whole new island. The open air lobby and koi ponds and parrot all are extremely inviting. Reading many reviews before booking this resort, I came across many complaints about long waiting times to check in. I would like to say that I didn't have that experience but I did. About 30 mins but c'mon your a vacation at a resort. Shouldn't time basically stop anyways? Once I was checked in we had a nice golf cart ride to our room ( golf carts are everywhere and a nice touch to customer service ) we opened the door to find more then what we thought we were receiving. Huge bathroom , and avery spacious suite. Nice garden view and i'm not going to be some people on this site and complain about little things like dirty patio area , or chips on the paint. You all need to relax. I recommend renting a car. The resort does have all the things you need to get by, however the choices of food service is limited and in my opinion pricey. The pool is magnificent and i'm not talking about the red level. I felt I was paying enough for the room that I didn't need to upgrade. Glad I didn't because the red level pool looked a lot less lively. I will be posting more reviews about the surrounding areas such as dining options and excursions. Yes you are at a resort that will basically cater to your every need but i'm not going to lie, I felt it to be a lil pricey for things. They have a gift/food/necessity shop that has great hours and very polite workers but once again kinda pricey, A liter of water was 7 bucks. HINT HINT .. RENT A CAR. shopping plaza is 3 miles away , outstanding breakfast spot , literally at the end of the road at the light . Famous Luquillo kiosks 4 miles away, tropical eateries at el yunque ,, 3 miles away. In conclusion the resort was amazing but I found that having a car gives your the flexibility to not be tied down to resort prices .
ps. watch out for hidden fees. Having a car is great but its 16 bucks a day to park. also resort fees are about 15 a day.
Check out priceline to book because my rate was cut by over half of the rate on Gran Melias website.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With an idyllic location on Puerto Rico's northeastern coast in Coco Beach, Río Grande, Gran Melia Puerto Rico brings the privacy and exclusivity you deserve and allows you the opportunity to escape from the rest of the world. From the moment you step inside this tropical oasis, you will be enveloped by the beauty and grandeur of Gran Melia Puerto Rico. Boasting a world-class YHI spa, the nearby Trump International Golf Club and the best pool on the island with four integrated whirlpools, Gran Melia Puerto Rico is the place to live the true resort experience in Puerto Rico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Melia, Hotels.com, Tingo, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., getaroom.com, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Priceline, Agoda and Venere so you can book your Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Hotel Rio Grande
- Gran Melia Rio Grande
- Sol Melia Rio Grande
- Paradisus Puerto Rico
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Rio Grande