“Ignore some of the reviews... FYI I am a budget traveler” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico

Save Saved
You added Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico to your Saves list
Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   200 Coco Beach, Rio Grande 00745, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Rio Grande
Clearwater,FL
“Ignore some of the reviews... FYI I am a budget traveler”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

First let me say that I have traveled throughout Puerto Rico many times and I have stayed at many different hotels ,bed and breakfasts, and resorts. Upon first impression of the Gran Melia, I was taken into a tropical paradise, Driving on what looks to be a deserted road turned into an oasis of picturesque landscapes. You drive thru the Trump golf course leading your way to the resort. Passing many iguanas , cats, and tropical birds, not to mention what seems to be about 20 speed bumps. Once you arrive at the resort you feel as though you have been whisked away to a whole new island. The open air lobby and koi ponds and parrot all are extremely inviting. Reading many reviews before booking this resort, I came across many complaints about long waiting times to check in. I would like to say that I didn't have that experience but I did. About 30 mins but c'mon your a vacation at a resort. Shouldn't time basically stop anyways? Once I was checked in we had a nice golf cart ride to our room ( golf carts are everywhere and a nice touch to customer service ) we opened the door to find more then what we thought we were receiving. Huge bathroom , and avery spacious suite. Nice garden view and i'm not going to be some people on this site and complain about little things like dirty patio area , or chips on the paint. You all need to relax. I recommend renting a car. The resort does have all the things you need to get by, however the choices of food service is limited and in my opinion pricey. The pool is magnificent and i'm not talking about the red level. I felt I was paying enough for the room that I didn't need to upgrade. Glad I didn't because the red level pool looked a lot less lively. I will be posting more reviews about the surrounding areas such as dining options and excursions. Yes you are at a resort that will basically cater to your every need but i'm not going to lie, I felt it to be a lil pricey for things. They have a gift/food/necessity shop that has great hours and very polite workers but once again kinda pricey, A liter of water was 7 bucks. HINT HINT .. RENT A CAR. shopping plaza is 3 miles away , outstanding breakfast spot , literally at the end of the road at the light . Famous Luquillo kiosks 4 miles away, tropical eateries at el yunque ,, 3 miles away. In conclusion the resort was amazing but I found that having a car gives your the flexibility to not be tied down to resort prices .
ps. watch out for hidden fees. Having a car is great but its 16 bucks a day to park. also resort fees are about 15 a day.
Check out priceline to book because my rate was cut by over half of the rate on Gran Melias website.

Room Tip: RENT A CAR , sunscreen sunscreen sunscreen, dont be afraid to be adventurous,
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mariana R, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear: Travelguy1125

"Gracias" for your review, kind words and for choosing us for your vacation at Puerto Rico. We were excited to read all the fun you had in our property.

Please contact me directly at ivans@granmeliapr.com I would be delighted to assist you on your next trip to Puerto Rico. We love you here!

Once again! GRACIAS!!!

3,110 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
  • Polish first
Wilmington, DE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

At first glimpse, the Gran Melia Puerto Rico does appear to earn the "Preferred Hotel" ranking, but one's true experience is anything but "Preferred". As a convention hotel it is probably great, nice meeting rooms, good golf, average banquet meals, but for a vacation destination, go elsewhere! 30 minute wait to check-in, 2 1/2 wait for a room, shabby, tired furnishings in spacious but lackluster rooms, empty but refrigerated mini-bar, spotty maid service, trash in hallways for days, no beach swimming, crowded & long walkways to lobby or main pool & expensive, mediocre & inattentive restaurants to note a few of our other observations. If you are stuck here for a convention, make the most of it, but if looking for a vacation destination, keep looking! Puerto Rico surely has better offerings!

Room Tip: Red Level rooms are more expensive and may be better maintained!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Love love love Gran Melia!!!! the resort and grounds are beautiful, the food it's great, and the pool is lovely!! The staff is kind and warm, they are really helpful and respectful! The location is something to consider if you really don't want to rent a car. You are about 35 mints away from SanJuan and about 15 mints from Fajardo. Luquillo is 10 mints. The rooms and villas are beautiful. W e had a one bedroom villa and it was beautiful. All new appliances jacuzzi inside and on the balcony, it was great!! we went with our 3 year old and she enjoy her self very much! I highly recommended, and I would love to go back one day!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Ada, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The grounds are unparalleled in PR. Gorgeous. Loved the serenity this resort offers from the chaos of San Juan (about 35 minutes away). The only significant negative is the bugs. The no-see-ums are horrible bring your bug spray.

• Stayed March 2013
Secaucus, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The resort is HUGE. Huge like they need to drive around golf carts to help the lazy people like me from all the walking. My girlfriend and I went with 2 other couples and we had a great time. The drive from San Juan is app. 45 mins with a little traffic. If you are staying here, either plan to stay here the whole time, or rent a car!! Thank god we did. We used it to get to all the activities and excursions.

The staff for the most part is very helpful and friendly. There is always a few no matter where you go that are just there for the paycheck, but majority of the people seemed to enjoy working in the industry. Just a little bit of gratuity (TIP$) goes a long way, so be sure to take care of them! They work hard. The grounds of the place are kept very clean. Now remember, you are NOT in the continental USA, so don't expect EVERYONE on the island to speak english. We actually ran into a few cops who didn't speak english. They were very friendly though.

At the hotel, it was a little annoying to have to remember cards to borrow towels at the pool, but I guess that may be a loss prevention issue for them. The front desk staff was kind of jaded, but everyone else we met were awesome. We did eat at the asian restaurant, the restaurant was nice, they had live mood setting music. The food was mediocre. The prices were fair considering the formal setting of the restaurant.

The hotel is app. 45 minutes from the San Juan airport and 30 minutes from Fajardo. In rush hour, give your self time for the traffic!!!

The lobby has a huge bird cage which was so cool! The beach/lawn has Hammocks, Outdoor games, and they let you borrow golf clubs for mini golf!.

The hotel was great though, I would definetely go back. Go enjoy, have fun, and relax. You are on vacation!

Winter Haven, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

After hearing that this was Donald Trumps place we had really high hopes for this vacation. The property is beautiful, and the common grounds are very nice, better than you see for most in Puerto Rico, However......as nice as the rooms were, we had a 1 bedroom/ 1 bath, was plenty for 2 people, but the reservation said it sleeps 6! Technically it will sleep six, but I couldn't imagine 6 people in this little space. The 2 beds in our 1 bedroom were hotel style full size only, so if your tall expect your feet to hang off the bed, and if your sleeping 2 full size adults, don't plan on rolling over, because it's not big enough! No wireless internet in the rooms, only in the common areas and at the pool, but they do have the old hard wire plugs! A bit out of date if you ask me, but we were lucky enough to have access to the wireless from our bottom floor patio that faced the pool. With that said, there are private bungalows that are avaliable for RED Level guest only that looked quite nice and had there own private pool and gazebo. The Casino has been removed, but there is a casino 5 minutes down the road at the Wyndam Rio Mar. Our property was basically empty until later in the week when people started coming in for the 2 corporate functions that were booked for the weekend. However the Wyndam was a busy place. The food on property left a bit to be desired...... the food at the pool bar location was typical, not a very good selection and pricey but was good. The breakfast buffet was good, but expensive for what you get, we tried this buffet one evening, and not only was it expensive, but the selection was horrible, I know Donald Trump would not eat this mess, nor would he be happy with the options! so take my advice, and look elsewhere. As for the other 2 restaurants on property......... you need a reservation, even with empty tables all over, you need a reservation, so needless to say, we didn't get to try them because we never knew when or where we actually would be at dinner time. However..... the buffet at the Wyndam Rio Mar looked wonderful and had a line, so must have been much better. They do offer room service, and I will say the dinner we ordered while only Chicken wings and salad, was very good.

I would reccomend renting a car. They offer a shuttle, but it's $35 per person each way to the airport, and thats only a 30 min drive. The property is about 30 min from San Juan, and 30 min from Fajardo, where you catch the ferry to Culebra or Vieques, and 10 minutes from El Yunke rain forrest, so not a bad location at all. Pay the upgrade, and get the GPS in your rental, you will be glad you did, even if they are out of date, and miss roads.

The staff was great upon checkin, not so much at check out. The service left a bit to be desired, but that was probably because of the lack of guest at the resort. All in all, nice property, but a bit of a let down.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This resort is beautiful, the entire lobby is surrounded by fountains and water. It is a very open resort, the main pool is huge and the grounds are beautiful. The fitness room is also a decent size and accomodating. Our favorite part about the resort was the beach, it is very unique in that it has a lot of palm trees on it, but this also provides a lot of shade which is nice (it also makes for some great pictures). Our room had a garden view and was very spacious. My only complaint is that it did not have a refigerator so we had to get buckets of ice to cool drinks we brought into our room. My husband and his brother had a great time playing the golf course, there is a hole that is right on the ocean. The resort is pretty close to the rainforest and I highly suggest driving up there and checking it out. It is also close to a row of street vendors/restaurants/bars about a mile or two down Rt. 3 (turn left when heading off the resort). The food is pricey on the resort, but all restauants were good. If you have a car, you can easily leave the resort and drive down the road to a cafe to find a cheaper breakfast. I wish the resort had better coffee (a Starbucks or something similar would have been nice). I also found it strange that Pasion wouldn't serve outside, but the sushi restaurant and Italian restaurant did and were both very good.

All in all, a great experience and I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!